All About Home Addresses

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.

Would you use an address that you do not stay in, just to get priority in P1 registration?

No
67%
Yes
33%

Total votes: 858

KierstenS
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: All About Home Addresses

Post by KierstenS » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:38 pm

Hi fellow parents! Sorry if this if off topic, but understand St Margaret’s will be undergoing PERI upgrade in 2020-2021. Can anyone advise which address will be used for home-school distance calculation: the original (Wilkie) or the temporary (Mattar) one? Thank you!

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:40

Post by zac's mum » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:17 pm

KierstenS wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:38 pm
Hi fellow parents! Sorry if this if off topic, but understand St Margaret’s will be undergoing PERI upgrade in 2020-2021. Can anyone advise which address will be used for home-school distance calculation: the original (Wilkie) or the temporary (Mattar) one? Thank you!
It is always the original address that will be used. Regardless of which school.

LC9
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by LC9 » Wed May 01, 2019 10:31 pm

Hi everyone,
My son will be in P1 in year 2021, therefore the school registration will be around July-August 2020.
My problem is that my house (the address i will be using to register my son) is being rented out till September 2020, and after that I will be moving there for good.
Will there be a problem when i register my son to the school?
Please advise. Thanks!

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:40

Post by zac's mum » Wed May 01, 2019 10:42 pm

LC9 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:31 pm
Hi everyone,
My son will be in P1 in year 2021, therefore the school registration will be around July-August 2020.
My problem is that my house (the address i will be using to register my son) is being rented out till September 2020, and after that I will be moving there for good.
Please advise. Thanks!
Yes there is a problem. You need to be physically living in that house (and NRIC indicating that address) by June 2020.

Chase out your tenant earlier by giving early notice.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:127

Post by floppy » Thu May 02, 2019 6:12 am

zac's mum wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:42 pm
LC9 wrote:
Hi everyone,
Please advise. Thanks!
Yes there is a problem. You need to be physically living in that house (and NRIC indicating that address) by June 2020.

Actually no. Same like purchasing a resale property / new property.

If LC9 is the legal owner of the property, he needs to sign an undertaking that he will be shifting back to the property before the start of P1 in 2021.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:47

Post by Estéema » Thu May 02, 2019 7:33 am

Floppy,
LC9’s NRIC address shld reflect the property’s address at point of P1 registration? What if tenant who rented address & had used address for their child’s Pri sch registration for the place?

LC9
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by LC9 » Thu May 02, 2019 8:23 am

floppy wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:12 am
zac's mum wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:42 pm
LC9 wrote:
Hi everyone,
Please advise. Thanks!

Actually no. Same like purchasing a resale property / new property.

If LC9 is the legal owner of the property, he needs to sign an undertaking that he will be shifting back to the property before the start of P1 in 2021.
Hi Floppy,

That's reassuring to hear. Would you know what documents would I need to sign? The property is under me and my husband's name.

Hi Esteema, I did not think of that.
Wouldn't the tenant need to proof that he/she will be staying at the address for the next 30 months?
The address on the NRIC part is the one worrying me.

Thanks all.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Estéema » Thu May 02, 2019 9:40 am

LC9,
What I had in mind was when yr tenant rent yr place at the commencement, they might hv registered for a place at duration of tenancy. So, if u are registering in July 2020, and yr tenant’s child is still a student registered under the tenanted address, the MOE system might reflect a duplication of address. That was my thot.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:127

Post by floppy » Thu May 02, 2019 10:17 am

Estéema wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:40 am
LC9,
What I had in mind was when yr tenant rent yr place at the commencement, they might hv registered for a place at duration of tenancy. So, if u are registering in July 2020, and yr tenant’s child is still a student registered under the tenanted address, the MOE system might reflect a duplication of address. That was my thot.
There will be a duplication. Both tenant and owner will be called out. As owner intends to occupy property at the commencement of P1, owner is within policy as long as he signs / provides the letter of undertaking. Tenant will have to secure another property same distance or better to fulfill 30months of occupancy.

NRIC address is straightforward but similar to purchase of new / resale property. You could be in the midst of possession and new address may not be reflected. You can’t be sure that the old / original owner won’t use the address to register while the sale is in progress.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Estéema » Thu May 02, 2019 11:36 am

Ya. That’s the scenario I’m trying to highlight.

Also, the risks of using address with sitting tenant who had used address is at point of registration, the previous P1 vacancy need be process within that P1 Reg window period is stressful. Causes negative impact for both tenant & self. Might need to find a better solution to neatly handle this & reduce anxieties when P1 regn comes round.