All About Home Addresses

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.

Would you use an address that you do not stay in, just to get priority in P1 registration?

No
67%
Yes
33%

Total votes: 895

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:109

Re: All About Home Addresses

Post by zac's mum » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:10 am

That’s the new launch price range in that area now.

Or, just rent. My former landlord at Newton18 happens to have a vacant 2 bedder available now :wink:

joosoufool
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by joosoufool » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:26 pm

floppy wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:10 am
joosoufool wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:34 am
Hey guys, was wondering if there is an ULTIMATE kiasu school enrollment strategy @ Phase 2C (parent has no PV, no connections), assuming you are able to buy ANY property in Singapore? Hope someone can entertain me here...

I've done some analysis, and i came up with this:
Live within 1km of ALL Tao Nan, Ngee Ann, St Stephens

2C register for tao nan (within 1km, 60-70% chance?)
if fail
2C (S) go for ngee ann (which is the "best" school left over in 2C (S) )

if really fail

Phase 3 go into St Stephens, which is best emergency backup at phase 3.

What do you guys think?
Firstly, your plan hinges on Ngee Ann availability in Phase 2CS, which is by no way guaranteed. This year is the only time it has places for Phase 2Cs since 2012.

Secondly, assuming you are prepared to consider other schools in Phase 2C, you don't really have many choices. In terms of 'quality's, you have basically one - Tao Nan. Therefore, your plan can also be called "Tao Nan or bust".

In summary, this is a terrible plan.
If you are going to go through all that effort (buy any house, shift, etc), you would want:
1. Something more or less guaranteed
2. Multiple options
3. Quality options

The ultimate (?) place to purchase a property for the sole purpose of P1 registration (no alumni, no PV, no GRL etc) would be within 1km of ACSP, ACSJ and SJIJ. Within 1km for Phase 2C, you are almost guaranteed a spot in 1 of those 3 schools. All 3 schools are of similar standard, highly sough and have affiliation to their sec school.
Thank you so much for your response! Clearly I'm totally clueless.

Are we able to apply for all 3 schools at phase 2C to see what we get? I thought that you can only apply for 1 and if you failed the ballot, you'll have to try at phase 2CS.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by zac's mum » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:36 pm

No u can only apply for 1 school at any phase. So u have to pick one of the 3 at 2C. All 3 give better odds than Tao Nan. Example stats (eg 2019 registration):

ACSP <1km 40 applicants vs 27 seats
ACSJ <1km 53 applicants vs 46 seats

SJIJ <1km guaranteed all in (according to history)

If fail the ballot, yes go to 2CS. BTPS or FPPS. Both quite acceptable alternatives.

joosoufool
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by joosoufool » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:50 am

zac's mum wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:36 pm
No u can only apply for 1 school at any phase. So u have to pick one of the 3 at 2C. All 3 give better odds than Tao Nan. Example stats (eg 2019 registration):

ACSP <1km 40 applicants vs 27 seats
ACSJ <1km 53 applicants vs 46 seats

SJIJ <1km guaranteed all in (according to history)

If fail the ballot, yes go to 2CS. BTPS or FPPS. Both quite acceptable alternatives.
Ah yes thank you!

So based on this analysis what % do you think someone living within 1km of ACSJ would get in in phase 2C?

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by zac's mum » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:53 am

2019 ACSJ <1km 53 applicants vs 46 seats

= approximately 86.8% odds, pretty good

But the odds have been decreasing over the years due to increase in demand.

U have to weigh your risk appetite.

joosoufool
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by joosoufool » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:41 pm

zac's mum wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:53 am
2019 ACSJ <1km 53 applicants vs 46 seats

= approximately 86.8% odds, pretty good

But the odds have been decreasing over the years due to increase in demand.

U have to weigh your risk appetite.
Thank you.

Based on these numbers, are we able to tell if these 53 applicants are living within 1km or 2km?

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by zac's mum » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:49 pm

They are all <1km

slinga
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by slinga » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:03 pm

newbie here, trying to plan for next yr. currently where i live, we do not have any Primary school in 2k radius, also the school i went to in the past was not a good one so that s not an option. my strategy was to buy a small place close to the school of our choice and then have my child stay in that place during the week (so we dont everyone move together from our old place.) So, to summarize, we will have 2 places, 1 near the school (smaller one)- which will be registered address and where we will stay (on my IC and wife Ic etc) - we will also continue to stay in the current place we live in.
is this allowed? from what i have read on the MoE website, as long as we stay in the place it shud be ok - there was nothing about not having 2 residences?
have anyone experienced anything like this before - any reply much appreciated!

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by zac's mum » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:21 pm

As long as you are truly and verifiably living in the address used for registration (and the school has its ways & means to spot check), it should be fine. You can still use the old address as your weekend/holiday home if u don’t wish to sell it/rent it out. The concept is to provide convenience for the child to go to school during Mon-Fri.

slinga
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by slinga » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:04 am

thankyou