All About Home Addresses

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.

Would you use an address that you do not stay in, just to get priority in P1 registration?

No
67%
Yes
33%

Total votes: 907

jasterlim
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: All About Home Addresses

Post by jasterlim » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:44 pm

Hello parents, I am currently staying in the Balestier zone (1-2km) from SJIJ. Am also an alumni of RMPS, but am gunning for SJIJ (hopefully). I was thinking of renting a place thats within the 1km zone to boost my chances for 2C (SJIJ).

My strategy is to go in via 2A1 for RMPS and monitor stats for SJIJ. If no balloting required for <1KM (although historically odds are high, but who knows cos it's horse year!), then I will withdraw from RMPS and apply for SJIJ. However, I am not sure how I can go about doing this without first securing a rental agreement (thus reflecting the change in NRIC). It feels like I want the best of both worlds, but my ideal situation is that I only end up renting if I manage to secure a seat for SJIJ. Does it make sense to first secure a rental unit (around June) -> reflect change of address in NRIC (don't move in yet to rental unit) -> Break tenancy agreement (if I don't secure a seat for SJIJ)?

Any pointers for such a scenario?

TBH, I have been thinking long and hard whether SJIJ is "worthwhile" because RMPS is a good school too. The only difference at this point is the affiliation to SJI (but who can guarantee that my son will be able to meet the min. COP cos SJI's COP is high!)? But I wonder if years later, I will regret not doing all I can to secure an affiliated school for him. Moreover, I have a daughter (2017), so I'm also pondering if I'm setting myself up for inconvenience by sending them to 2 different schools!

Thanks for the replies!

Davischew
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Davischew » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:23 am

jasterlim wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:44 pm
Hello parents, I am currently staying in the Balestier zone (1-2km) from SJIJ. Am also an alumni of RMPS, but am gunning for SJIJ (hopefully). I was thinking of renting a place thats within the 1km zone to boost my chances for 2C (SJIJ).

My strategy is to go in via 2A1 for RMPS and monitor stats for SJIJ. If no balloting required for <1KM (although historically odds are high, but who knows cos it's horse year!), then I will withdraw from RMPS and apply for SJIJ. However, I am not sure how I can go about doing this without first securing a rental agreement (thus reflecting the change in NRIC). It feels like I want the best of both worlds, but my ideal situation is that I only end up renting if I manage to secure a seat for SJIJ. Does it make sense to first secure a rental unit (around June) -> reflect change of address in NRIC (don't move in yet to rental unit) -> Break tenancy agreement (if I don't secure a seat for SJIJ)?

TBH, I have been thinking long and hard whether SJIJ is "worthwhile" because RMPS is a good school too. The only difference at this point is the affiliation to SJI (but who can guarantee that my son will be able to meet the min. COP cos SJI's COP is high!)? But I wonder if years later, I will regret not doing all I can to secure an affiliated school for him. Moreover, I have a daughter (2017), so I'm also pondering if I'm setting myself up for inconvenience by sending them to 2 different schools!

Thanks for the replies!
If want to rent, best to find a place with <1km to both boys and girls school with good odds to enter. Else not worth the hassle

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:126

Post by zac's mum » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:56 am

jasterlim wrote:

Thanks for the replies!
SJIJ has *two* affiliated schools: SJI at Malcolm Road, and St Patrick’s in the East. Together, both these schools cover a whole wide range of streams and related COPs: Express, N(A) and N(T). [*Note that the IB stream doesn’t give affiliation discount.]

Your plan is sound - yes u can just pay the 1-2 months’ notice to break the tenancy agreement if registration is unsuccessful.

Your girl can go to St Margaret’s! It has affiliated secondary also. Have a look around at OneMap School Query. There are several developments which are <1km of SJIJ and 1-2km of St Marg’s.

jasterlim
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by jasterlim » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:22 am

zac's mum wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:56 am
jasterlim wrote:

Thanks for the replies!
SJIJ has *two* affiliated schools: SJI at Malcolm Road, and St Patrick’s in the East. Together, both these schools cover a whole wide range of streams and related COPs: Express, N(A) and N(T). [*Note that the IB stream doesn’t give affiliation discount.]

Your plan is sound - yes u can just pay the 1-2 months’ notice to break the tenancy agreement if registration is unsuccessful.

Your girl can go to St Margaret’s! It has affiliated secondary also. Have a look around at OneMap School Query. There are several developments which are <1km of SJIJ and 1-2km of St Marg’s.
Ahhh I had forgotten about St Pat's! And yes, I have also considered St Margs for my girl considering the affiliation to the secondary sch as well. Thanks for the vote of confidence on my strategy!

ConfusedParent88
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by ConfusedParent88 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:45 pm

Hi, I am a hdb flat owner who completed my mop. Looking to rent a private condo near my school of choice to stay there. Do you guys know if I can leave my hdb empty or must I rent it out, while I stay at the condo. Also, if I leave my hdb empty, can I still go ahead to change my nric address?

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:90

Post by Estéema » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:20 pm

ConfusedParent88 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:45 pm
Hi, I am a hdb flat owner who completed my mop. Looking to rent a private condo near my school of choice to stay there. Do you guys know if I can leave my hdb empty or must I rent it out, while I stay at the condo. Also, if I leave my hdb empty, can I still go ahead to change my nric address?
You’re free to leave empty of rent out. If u’re using the rental unit bcoz it’s near yr sch of choice, then go to any police post with yr tenancy agmnt or yr evidence of utility bills. Bot parents address shld be same & u can use one address only for sch appln

ConfusedParent88
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by ConfusedParent88 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:53 pm

Tks Esteema. I am confused. I was asking around and some told me that i cannot leave my hdb flat vacant while i go stay at my rented condo near the school. Do you know where i can find the hdb guidelines or rules on this? Trying to crowdsource for help...

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:90

Post by Estéema » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:17 pm

ConfusedParent88 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:53 pm
Tks Esteema. I am confused. I was asking around and some told me that i cannot leave my hdb flat vacant while i go stay at my rented condo near the school. Do you know where i can find the hdb guidelines or rules on this? Trying to crowdsource for help...
You can read HDB Rules in their webpage, which says you can if u fulfil those requirements, or you can call up your nearest HDB Office to check to hear fr HDB to be assured.

It says “you may rent” or “if you wish to rent” and hv met their min requirements of occupation, etc. You do not necessarily need to rent out if you do not wish or cld not find suitable tenants, etc. Toure free to do your sums.

xariaD
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by xariaD » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:25 pm

Hello,

We recently got our SC and would like to gather more information. There are not many good primary schools near where we live right now. So the plan is to either buy/ rent a place within 1Km of a good school. We don't want to enrol our daughter to a school which focuses on rote learning and just academics. The school should have good diversity and inclusion.
I am reading up more and more about schools and their approaches but it is very exhausting.

I have shortlisted a few schools and would like to know what are our chances of getting admission in these schools, if we secure a place within 1km. Daughter will be eligible for Phase 2C.

North-East
Rosyth
Paya Lebar methodist Girls

East
Haig Girls
CHIJ Katong
Kong Hwa
Maha Bodhi

These are a few we have shortlisted so-far. Ou goal would be to get a place which is near atleast 2-3 good schools so even if we don't secure a place in our school of choice, we can try for others.

Very confused and overwhelmed with the entire process. Hope to gain some insights and better vision on how to proceed further.

Many Thanks

Davischew
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Davischew » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:50 pm

xariaD wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:25 pm
Hello,

We recently got our SC and would like to gather more information. There are not many good primary schools near where we live right now. So the plan is to either buy/ rent a place within 1Km of a good school. We don't want to enrol our daughter to a school which focuses on rote learning and just academics. The school should have good diversity and inclusion.
I am reading up more and more about schools and their approaches but it is very exhausting.

I have shortlisted a few schools and would like to know what are our chances of getting admission in these schools, if we secure a place within 1km. Daughter will be eligible for Phase 2C.

North-East
Rosyth
Paya Lebar methodist Girls

East
Haig Girls
CHIJ Katong
Kong Hwa
Maha Bodhi

These are a few we have shortlisted so-far. Ou goal would be to get a place which is near atleast 2-3 good schools so even if we don't secure a place in our school of choice, we can try for others.

Very confused and overwhelmed with the entire process. Hope to gain some insights and better vision on how to proceed further.

Many Thanks
Take PLMGS, <1km 2C chances were high and afflicated.
CHIJ Katong <1km sure in, also affiliated.

Haig girls might be good for 2CS backup.
The other 3 too hot even for <1km