Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

2018 P1 registration exercise for 2019 intake

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.

Re: 2018 P1 registration exercise for 2019 intake

Postby Orb » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:12 pm

sannnz wrote:
sannnz wrote:
thank you Sparkss.....HUGS to you too.

but i cannot imagine nor take the heart wrenching moment on 13th AUG night if the nearest school (NVPS) is filled....logistic will be a nightmare for me. and i have a younger son to follow the next year.....the fate is really dependant on the older brother.

What about Monfort Junior?

It has only 39 seats left but as I am not a catholic, i do not 'feel comfortable' to send him to MJS. My son has attended the open house at Punggol pri and he loves it so i had to hide my dissapointment and sadness from him.....he wanted to go to a co-ed school too (not sure why he's so insistent).

MJS is an all boys school. Competition may not be as intense as a co-ed school since girls cant be admitted. This may give you the edge as you are also within 1km of the school.

Nevertheless, keep your options open and monitor the schools. Look at the numbers on the first day and apply on the second day.

Orb
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Mich1502 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:42 pm

Sparkss wrote:
sannnz wrote:Dear parents,

My son was balloted out from Punggol Primary (situated in Hougang) despite me living right next to it.
I was extremely upset and has been crying since 08 AUG ( yes i am that affected because i am a FTWM and has no care giver assistance thus school distance is very important to me).

To prep for phase 2CS, the next nearest school within 1km from my house is North Vista Pri NVPS (47 seats). Else it would be 1-2km range, such as Yio Chu Kang Pri YCKPS (115 seats). Not much choice left.

Should i go ahead in 2CS for North Vista? its like 700m away as compared to 1.2KM between NVPS and YCKPS.
I was thinking if the kids that were balloted out from Nan Chiau will spill over to NVPS?

Appreciate your kind opinion please. Thank you.

Dilemma and worried.

HUGS.. I also cried... and the school i got balloted out was like a few steps away. totally understand how you feel.

I think to decide must really follow what zac's mum said.. wait till first night to see the stats.

Hi,
I totally empathize with you. I went through the same thing and cried my eyes out too. But everyone around me said it is such a trivial matter to cry over.
My child was balloted out from the school next to our house. He also attended the open house and liked the school alot. Just like you I am a FTWM and distance is very important to me. Now what i am left with are schools more than 2km away from me.

Mich1502
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Mich1502 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:43 pm

Sparkss wrote:
sannnz wrote:Dear parents,

My son was balloted out from Punggol Primary (situated in Hougang) despite me living right next to it.
I was extremely upset and has been crying since 08 AUG ( yes i am that affected because i am a FTWM and has no care giver assistance thus school distance is very important to me).

To prep for phase 2CS, the next nearest school within 1km from my house is North Vista Pri NVPS (47 seats). Else it would be 1-2km range, such as Yio Chu Kang Pri YCKPS (115 seats). Not much choice left.

Should i go ahead in 2CS for North Vista? its like 700m away as compared to 1.2KM between NVPS and YCKPS.
I was thinking if the kids that were balloted out from Nan Chiau will spill over to NVPS?

Appreciate your kind opinion please. Thank you.

Dilemma and worried.

HUGS.. I also cried... and the school i got balloted out was like a few steps away. totally understand how you feel.

I think to decide must really follow what zac's mum said.. wait till first night to see the stats.

Hi,
I totally empathize with you. I went through the same thing and cried my eyes out too. But everyone around me said it is such a trivial matter to cry over.
My child was balloted out from the school next to our house. He also attended the open house and liked the school alot. Just like you I am a FTWM and distance is very important to me. Now what i am left with are schools more than 2km away from me.

Mich1502
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby bedshat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:02 pm

Parents, I do not wish to be rude or a cold blanket but just stating the cold hard truth- if everyone sits and wait for the last day, there is going to be more crying and more surprises afte the witching hour (ala 4.29pm) sets in!! Case in point, we got a shock that there were so much more <1km and <1<2km trickling in at 15:30-16:15pm. Yes, I did call up to ask gently and politely after the registration to know the numbers and I realised we were in hot soup. Well, of course its everybody’s prerogative about when one is to register. Everyone should just be mentally prepped that first and last day stats may not be the truthful holy grail! Even if the school in my phase 2cs has 100+ vacancies now, I have mentally prepped myself that I may have to accompany my child to timbuktu everyday for schooling.

bedshat
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby nomoreusername » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:13 pm

Plan for the worse n hope for the best peeps..

nomoreusername
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby nomoreusername » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:14 pm

:xedfingers:
Last edited by nomoreusername on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nomoreusername
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Tetwsf » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:21 pm

bedshat wrote:Parents, I do not wish to be rude or a cold blanket but just stating the cold hard truth- if everyone sits and wait for the last day, there is going to be more crying and more surprises afte the witching hour (ala 4.29pm) sets in!! Case in point, we got a shock that there were so much more <1km and <1<2km trickling in at 15:30-16:15pm. Yes, I did call up to ask gently and politely after the registration to know the numbers and I realised we were in hot soup. Well, of course its everybody’s prerogative about when one is to register. Everyone should just be mentally prepped that first and last day stats may not be the truthful holy grail! Even if the school in my phase 2cs has 100+ vacancies now, I have mentally prepped myself that I may have to accompany my child to timbuktu everyday for schooling.

I am actually quite puzzled.
To those parents who chose to ballot despite very bad odds (like 3 or 2.5 to 1), why? This applies to both who succeeded or not. I can understand if you buy Toto or 4D. The consequences are mild. But why kamikaze with your child’s future esp when the odds are bad? In any case, my takeaway is that the concept of odds is quite difficult to grasp.

It is like those who still choose to buy overvalued properties, thinking that prices will keep rising.
Sorry if I sounded blunt.

Tetwsf
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby sannnz » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:33 pm

Many times it's not that we parents choose to ballot or gamble with chance. Take my case for instance - Punggol Pri had a very low risk of ballotting and all was fine on the first 1st night of 2C, so i thought my son is safe. The shocker came on the closing day...the count went up and pushed everyone into a balloting frenzy.

The school is just within walking distance to our home of cos we had to choose that school.

I'm sure alot of parents are in the same situation.......which regretfully turned into a sad & desperate situation.

sannnz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sannnz » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:34 pm

Hugs Mich1502

sannnz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Tetwsf » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:37 pm

Sorry. We are all parents who wish the best for our kids. I wish you well too and hope things turn out fine.
My puzzlement is directed at those who die die must ballot for branded schools when the odds are really bad. And the 2CS options are really far away or well, not branded.
I can understand those in Sengkang or Punggol. It is just unfortunate that the Dragon Year really boosted the competition. I hope you will find a good school for your child.

Tetwsf
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Schools - Selection & Registration

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres