Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

2020 P1 Registration Exercise for 2021 In-take

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.

Re: 2020 P1 Registration Exercise for 2021 In-take

Postby galaxyraider » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:36 am

floppy wrote:
monajoba wrote:actually was told that for KHS or CFS probably 40-80 is sufficient but at least 200 for TNS and ATS
the 2 kind souls who signed for me said she clocked 250hours and 220 respectively

I think old system where SHHK didn’t spell out the volunteer hours required. Their latest FAQ listed 80 hours to be eligible for the recommendation.

My friend clocked more than that, but in the end he didn't get the letter as he was a "newbie". Seniority plays a part, so if you want to go this route, you have to join as early as you can.

galaxyraider
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby floppy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:32 am

galaxyraider wrote:
floppy wrote:
monajoba wrote:actually was told that for KHS or CFS probably 40-80 is sufficient but at least 200 for TNS and ATS
the 2 kind souls who signed for me said she clocked 250hours and 220 respectively

I think old system where SHHK didn’t spell out the volunteer hours required. Their latest FAQ listed 80 hours to be eligible for the recommendation.

My friend clocked more than that, but in the end he didn't get the letter as he was a "newbie". Seniority plays a part, so if you want to go this route, you have to join as early as you can.

Like I said, that was the old system.
People who want to go through SHHK should read their latest FAQ.

For Registration Exercise 2018 (and before):
Q: What are the criteria to be recommended for Phase 2B registration?
A: A committee will be formed to review all applications nearer the date of registration. Evaluation will be based on guidelines set by this committee and on a case by case basis according to its merit. One of the determining factors is tenure of membership.
N.B. Old criteria: there is no mention of the minimum volunteer service hours required.

For Registration Exercise 2019 (and I assume, after that):
A1: For members whose membership application were approved before or on 6 December 2017
Complete a minimum eighty [80] volunteer service hours with or through SHHK

A2: For members whose membership applications are approved after 6 December 2017
Minimum of two [2] consecutive years of membership by 30 Jun 2019;
AND
Complete a minimum of eighty [80] hours of volunteer service with or through SHHK
N.B. New criteria: there is no longer any mention about the tenure of membership.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Judymum » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:12 am

i am staying within 1km from Chongfu Yishun, am not planning to join SHHK or PV. My son and myself are Singaporean but father is PR. Not sure how's the chances to enrol? what else we can do to increase the chances?

Judymum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Lexy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:31 am

Judymum wrote:i am staying within 1km from Chongfu Yishun, am not planning to join SHHK or PV. My son and myself are Singaporean but father is PR. Not sure how's the chances to enrol? what else we can do to increase the chances?

Balloting history is https://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/article/yishun/

this year and 2 years later could be similar - this year the take up rate has increased close to 10%. last year, under 2C, there were 1.83 applicants vs 1 vacancy - this year could cross over >2 applicants per vacancy. if you are not in the earlier phases. this is as good as it can get.

Do consider other any other alternative for earlier phases 2A or other schools under 2C as well.

Lexy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby galaxyraider » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:38 pm

Judymum wrote:i am staying within 1km from Chongfu Yishun, am not planning to join SHHK or PV. My son and myself are Singaporean but father is PR. Not sure how's the chances to enrol? what else we can do to increase the chances?

Just be prepared to go for balloting in Phase 2C. Worst case scenario would be only 20 seats left. At the same time, prepare a backup school for Phase 2CS in the event you are balloted out. I'm afraid there's no other way to increase your chance because it's too late for you to go for SHHK route or GRL route. The only way to increase your chance is to join PV.

galaxyraider
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby floppy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:44 pm

galaxyraider wrote:

Just be prepared to go for balloting in Phase 2C. Worst case scenario would be only 20 seats left. At the same time, prepare a backup school for Phase 2CS in the event you are balloted out. I'm afraid there's no other way to increase your chance because it's too late for you to go for SHHK route or GRL route. The only way to increase your chance is to join PV.

And the window for PV to Chongfu is opening up soon... As per their FAQ:
The application period for Parent Volunteers (for child born in 2014) is from 1 August 2018 to 31 October 2018. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted via email by end-November 2018. The application form will be available at the following link during the application period: /partners/form-downloads/

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby YDNIC.T » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:07 pm

I think old system where SHHK didn’t spell out the volunteer hours required. Their latest FAQ listed 80 hours to be eligible for the recommendation.[/quote]

My friend clocked more than that, but in the end he didn't get the letter as he was a "newbie". Seniority plays a part, so if you want to go this route, you have to join as early as you can.[/quote]

Like I said, that was the old system.
People who want to go through SHHK should read their latest FAQ.

For Registration Exercise 2018 (and before):
A: A committee will be formed to review all applications nearer the date of registration. Evaluation will be based on guidelines set by this committee and on a case by case basis according to its merit. One of the determining factors is tenure of membership.
N.B. Old criteria: there is no mention of the minimum volunteer service hours required.

For Registration Exercise 2019 (and I assume, after that):
A1: For members whose membership application were approved before or on 6 December 2017
Complete a minimum eighty [80] volunteer service hours with or through SHHK

A2: For members whose membership applications are approved after 6 December 2017
Minimum of two [2] consecutive years of membership by 30 Jun 2019;
AND
Complete a minimum of eighty [80] hours of volunteer service with or through SHHK
N.B. New criteria: there is no longer any mention about the tenure of membership.[/quote]

Hi! Meaning to say the new term says as long you serve for 2 years and with minimum 80hrs clocked you will get a recommendation letter from SHHK?

YDNIC.T
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby floppy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:11 pm

YDNIC.T wrote:
Hi! Meaning to say the new term says as long you serve for 2 years and with minimum 80hrs clocked you will get a recommendation letter from SHHK?

I am not from SHHK. I think members should ask SHHK for confirmation.
Nevertheless, reading the FAQ, that's what it says.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby monajoba » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:54 pm

floppy wrote:
YDNIC.T wrote:

I am not from SHHK. I think members should ask SHHK for confirmation.
Nevertheless, reading the FAQ, that's what it says.

Omg. I join the Shhk group chat and learnt there are people holding on to 10yr tenureship & 150hours for 2020 registration, same year as us
How to even fight with 80hours ?

monajoba
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby YDNIC.T » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:01 am

Is there a SHHK group chat? How to join? :smile: omg 10 years!!

YDNIC.T
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Schools - Selection & Registration

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres