Top Primary school?

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.

Top Primary school?

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:56 am

Which do you think is the top primary school in Singapore?

Based on academic excellence, my top 5 ranking would be:

1. Tao Nan
2. Nanyang
3. Nan Hua
4. St. Hilda's
5. Raffles' Girls

What about yours?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby super_dad » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:53 pm

Tao Nan is top??? wow....

Surprised that RGS is at the bottom of the five.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:15 pm

super_dad wrote:Tao Nan is top??? wow....

Surprised that RGS is at the bottom of the five.

Yes... actually, I think both Tao Nan and Nanyang are neck-to-neck now, academically speaking. Together they have 7 students in the top 15 students in PSLE last year... that's almost 50%. RGS did not even have a single student in that list.

In fact, the following GEP schools have very conspicuous no-shows in the top 15 last year:
Raffles Girls, Rosyth, Henry Park, Catholic High, and ACS Primary

They were pipped by the so-called neighbourhood schools:
Geylang Methodist, West Grove Primary, Canossa Convent, Nan Chiau and Kong Hwa.

Of course, they probably occupy the space between #16 to #1000, but hey, let's hear it for the "neighbourhood" schools :D !

But given a chance, would you want to send your kid to these "top" schools? The pressure on the kids will be super high.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby jedamum » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:32 pm

but then again, how do you rank 'top schools'?
Those that produces the 15 tops students or those whose A and A* rates are very high? The neighbourhood schools although do produce some exceptional top students, but comparing the overall results, the 'more popular' schools do have A and A* psle scores above national averages.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby super_dad » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:47 pm

jedamum wrote:but then again, how do you rank 'top schools'?
Those that produces the 15 tops students or those whose A and A* rates are very high? The neighbourhood schools although do produce some exceptional top students, but comparing the overall results, the 'more popular' schools do have A and A* psle scores above national averages.

Actually, my feeling is that it is not a fair comparison. Good schools attract good students, therefore the chances of them having good results. So, attributing this to the good facilities or teachers...not quite.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:23 pm

super_dad wrote:Actually, my feeling is that it is not a fair comparison. Good schools attract good students, therefore the chances of them having good results. So, attributing this to the good facilities or teachers...not quite.

Absolutely. That's why by right the GEP schools should always dominate the top 15 rankings since they should have the best students by the dozens. Yet we are finding that this is not the case. Strange... but perhaps it's because nature will always find a way?

In any group, there will always be dominating leaders. So your kid might already be good but when you send him to a class where there are better ones, he might end up trailing the rest and that sets him on a path of low esteem even amongst the best.

On the other hand, those that remain outside GEP will find that they no longer need to compete with the "best", and start gaining the confidence of being winners.

So those that force their children to become "artificially intelligent" hoping they might be part of the elite may be doing the kids a big disfavour should the kids somehow manage to get into the GEP classes from those highly arbitrary IQ tests.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby kiasukiasi » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:49 am

in my opinion, I do not believe in ranking primary schools as these are totally nonsense...

Primary school is an early stage of education for young kids especially from P1-P3. We should not emphasis too much on academic results.

By ranking schools, it put pressure to the principals to emphasis on results & thus favours better students than the average students. This will have negative effect on the average students.. Education have to be fair to ALL students..

this is just my opinion and i hope parents will not pressure your kids and let them have a memorable childhood rather than a pressure childhood..

kiasukiasi
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Mami_Jazz » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:32 am

kiasukiasi wrote:in my opinion, I do not believe in ranking primary schools as these are totally nonsense...

Primary school is an early stage of education for young kids especially from P1-P3. We should not emphasis too much on academic results.

By ranking schools, it put pressure to the principals to emphasis on results & thus favours better students than the average students. This will have negative effect on the average students.. Education have to be fair to ALL students..

this is just my opinion and i hope parents will not pressure your kids and let them have a memorable childhood rather than a pressure childhood..

Yeah Yeah Yeah ... i support your opinion ....its too young to see how "Good" a child is at early age .....they just have a very good memory :lol: Just my personal opinion

Mami_Jazz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jedamum » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:10 pm

kiasukiasi wrote:in my opinion, I do not believe in ranking primary schools .

they should start with scraping off the various phases for P1 registration.
*wink at Jazz*

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Mami_Jazz » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:32 pm

jedamum wrote:
kiasukiasi wrote:in my opinion, I do not believe in ranking primary schools .

they should start with scraping off the various phases for P1 registration.
*wink at Jazz*

hahahaha .....why jealous ar :lol:

Mami_Jazz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Selection & Registration