Affiliated Schools and their COPs

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.
zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:109

Affiliated Schools and their COPs

Post by zac's mum » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:55 pm

Ok...since I had free time today, I compiled this handy reference table. Listing out the COP discounts for those 27 affiliated secondary schools. I was quite irritated that this info is not readily available for parents to compare. MOE’s booklet, while it contains all the info, is not very user-friendly. It lists the detailed info as 1 page per school, but what we really want to see is the data presented in table form. Here is my compilation:
References: https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... ry-schools

https://www.moe.gov.sg/docs/default-sou ... _S1_IB.pdf

(I could also do a full historical COP ranking for ALL the Secondary schools in Singapore, depends on the demand for it.)
Last edited by zac's mum on Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:196

Re: Affiliated Schools and their COPs

Post by floppy » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:13 pm

If you could add another column - COP variance between affiliate and non-affiliate.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by zac's mum » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:30 am

Here you go:

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by zac's mum » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:34 am

By 2019, MOE’s new edict says that the schools must reserve at least 20% of their seats for non-affiliates.

If you notice, ACS Barker has already started to accept non-affiliates. Some other schools - Fairfield N(A) stream & St Pat’s Express stream - still welcomed back ALL their affiliated students & left no places for outsiders.

This is expected to change by 2019.

Orb
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:6

Post by Orb » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:56 am

zac's mum wrote:By 2019, MOE’s new edict says that the schools must reserve at least 20% of their seats for non-affiliates.

If you notice, ACS Barker has already started to accept non-affiliates. Some other schools - Fairfield N(A) stream & St Pat’s Express stream - still welcomed back ALL their affiliated students & left no places for outsiders.

I’ll like to offer a different view. Taking ACS Barker & St Patrick’s as an example. With a T-score of 241, a non-affiliate would unlikely opt for St Pat’s with the many options available to the pupil.

At this point, assuming that no non-affiliate opts for St Pat’s or less than 20% opt for St Pat’s, then can the school accept more of her affiliate pupils from her feeder schools? This is not covered by MOE.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by zac's mum » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:12 am

Orb wrote:
zac's mum wrote:By 2019, MOE’s new edict says that the schools must reserve at least 20% of their seats for non-affiliates.

I’ll like to offer a different view. Taking ACS Barker & St Patrick’s as an example. With a T-score of 241, a non-affiliate would unlikely opt for St Pat’s with the many options available to the pupil.

At this point, assuming that no non-affiliate opts for St Pat’s or less than 20% opt for St Pat’s, then can the school accept more of her affiliate pupils from her feeder schools? This is not covered by MOE.
I believe MOE’s rule is they must reserve at least 20% for outsiders. To me, that translates to leaving those seats unfilled if there’s insufficient demand.

But I think there will still be students putting St Pat’s as maybe their 2nd choice. There are not many choices (especially if they prefer Catholic boys schools) in the East area? And for example, a non-Chinese student cannot opt for Anglican High which is a SAP school.

Zeit
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:15

Post by Zeit » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:36 am

Serious? Leave the seats unfilled and waste them if there are no takers from both internal and external?

That's a terrible MOE policy! Then you'll have to close down St Pat's very soon as their teacher : student ratio moves below the national average as it struggles to cope with under-enrolment!

A complete wastage of infrastructure, human resources and tax payers' monies.

Then Archbishop / Reverend will ask the ministry...Why don't you let my junior brothers take up the unfilled vacancies if outsiders don't covet my secondary school? We're govt-aided in case you've forgotten!

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:222

Post by phtthp » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:46 am

Orb wrote:

hi Orb,

you have asked a very good question, concerning what if after Psle, after end of S1 posting, there are still remaining (balance) vacant seats still not taken up by outsiders (Non-affliates) ?

For St Patrick, besides entry in Sec 1 (right after Psle) : is there a second round of intake at Sec 3, eg : via DSA in Sec 3 ?

If yes, then cannot touch those empty, vacant seats, that are reserved for Non-affliated students.

But, if don't have, school should let go those seats to whoever (student) is interested to seek Transfer into St Patrick, for O-level

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by zac's mum » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:23 pm

Zeit wrote:Serious? Leave the seats unfilled and waste them if there are no takers from both internal and external?

That's a terrible MOE policy! Then you'll have to close down St Pat's very soon as their teacher : student ratio moves below the national average as it struggles to cope with under-enrolment!

Then Archbishop / Reverend will ask the ministry...Why don't you let my junior brothers take up the unfilled vacancies if outsiders don't covet my secondary school? We're govt-aided in case you've forgotten!
Well it may not be as dire as you think.

(A lower teacher:student ratio would actually be better for the kids’ learning, and could boost the school’s O level results in the longer-term, but that’s a side issue.)

What I can suggest as a possible strategy is, a “cross-pollination” of sorts among the various Catholic schools.

So for eg a boy from SJI Junior who does not meet SJI Secondary’s affiliate COP, can apply to St Pat’s as 1st choice, and St Anthony’s Canossian Secondary as his 2nd choice, St Gabriel’s Secondary as his 3rd choice...

And likewise for the CHIJ schools. A girl from eg CHIJ TPY Primary who does not meet the affiliated COP for CHIJ TPY Secondary, can apply to CHIJ St Joseph’s Convent as her 1st choice, CHIJ St Theresa’s Convent as her 2nd choice, CHIJ Katong Convent as her 3rd choice...

Still got some “familiar” safety net right?

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:222

Post by phtthp » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:35 pm

zac's mum wrote:
Zeit wrote:Serious? Leave the seats unfilled and waste them if there are no takers from both internal and external?

Well it may not be as dire as you think.

(A lower teacher:student ratio would actually be better for the kids’ learning, and could boost the school’s O level results in the longer-term, but that’s a side issue.)

What I can suggest as a possible strategy is, a “cross-pollination” of sorts among the various Catholic schools.

So for eg a boy from SJI Junior who does not meet SJI Secondary’s affiliate COP, can apply to St Pat’s as 1st choice, and St Anthony’s Canossian Secondary as his 2nd choice, St Gabriel’s Secondary as his 3rd choice...

And likewise for the CHIJ schools. A girl from eg CHIJ TPY Primary who does not meet the affiliated COP for CHIJ TPY Secondary, can apply to CHIJ St Joseph’s Convent as her 1st choice, CHIJ St Theresa’s Convent as her 2nd choice, CHIJ Katong Convent as her 3rd choice...

Still got some “familiar” safety net right?
St Anthony Cannosian Secondary is an All-Girls school, boys cannot go there.