Affiliated Schools and their COPs

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.
AfterClaz
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: Affiliated Schools and their COPs

Post by AfterClaz » Fri May 17, 2019 4:09 pm

LOL thanks Floppy for the GPGT! Icic, I'm kinda suaku so didn't know there's such thing! It's interesting to know now!

FantasyLandDreams
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:9

Post by FantasyLandDreams » Fri May 17, 2019 4:10 pm

Just to add, I would think that it is the case where PLMGS Secondary has no non-affiliated primary school student that enters by psle t-score instead, as I do know of a non-affiliated student who went in via DSA and in Sec 1 this year.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:127

Post by floppy » Fri May 17, 2019 4:25 pm

FantasyLandDreams wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:10 pm
Just to add, I would think that it is the case where PLMGS Secondary has no non-affiliated primary school student that enters by psle t-score instead, as I do know of a non-affiliated student who went in via DSA and in Sec 1 this year.
COP doesn't take into account DSA. Has always been the case.

Notwithstanding, yup it's good to make clear. Topic relates to entry via PSLE t-score and COP.

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:16

Post by MyPillow » Fri May 17, 2019 4:29 pm

floppy wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:25 pm
FantasyLandDreams wrote:
PSLE COP doesn't take into account DSA. Has always been the case.
a fren dd din get back into plmgs sec 1 this yr. t score din meet .
not sure % seats taken up by non aff cca dsa- as they are good in perf arts n one or two sports /netball?
with moe new policy of setting 20% for non-aff - more can get in to the sch , but bye bye to more old pri girls :sweat:

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:127

Post by floppy » Fri May 17, 2019 4:38 pm

MyPillow wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:29 pm
floppy wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:25 pm
FantasyLandDreams wrote:
PSLE COP doesn't take into account DSA. Has always been the case.
a fren dd din get back into plmgs sec 1 this yr. t score din meet .
not sure % seats taken up by non aff cca dsa- as they are good in perf arts n one or two sports /netball?
with moe new policy of setting 20% for non-aff - more can get in to the sch , but bye bye to more old pri girls :sweat:
If you look at the screenshot, affiliated t-score ranges from 212-257. However, their stated COP for affiliate is 205. Notwithstanding, they did state that "not all students from the affiliated primary school can be admitted to the affiliated secondary school, as admission is subject to availability of places in the secondary school".

Put two and two together, students from their primary section meeting the Express COP (>200) but scoring between 205 and 211 would not have gotten into the secondary section. These students would have to look elsewhere. While I'm not sure how many they take in via DSA but I'm guessing not many as their talent areas offered is quite a short list, with 3 冷门 options for performing arts and small team size for badminton, gymnastics and table tennis:

Leadership (Girls)
Ensemble - Guzheng (Girls)
Ensemble - Handbell/Handchime (Girls)
Ensemble - Harp (Girls)
Badminton (Girls)
Gymnastics - Rhythmic (Girls)
Netball (Girls)
Swimming (Girls)
Table Tennis (Girls)
Volleyball (Girls)

With the 20% places to be set aside, I'm guessing that the lowest 212 score for affiliate will move up by at least 10 points.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:38

Post by zac's mum » Fri May 17, 2019 5:46 pm

There are several schools that have had (historically) affiliated COP of 200 (eg several CHIJs, Fairfield...etc).

Did any of them disclose internally, by how much the affiliated COP is expected to increase in 2019 with this change?

ACS did not disclose when they changed their affiliation absolute priority in ~2017/2018. Merely said that not all will be able to make it back (based on their past records of numbers).