Non-Tamil Indian Languages (NTIL)

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.

Re: Chinese As 2nd Language For non-Chinese

Postby vividlaurel » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:23 pm

Hi reddotresident,

My kids have been doing Mandarin from N1, the CC they went to didn't have any other language and so we just went for it. their Mandarin teacher tells me that they are quite fluent in the language and that they can cope with it in school. I have also engaged a tutor for them for the past 2 years who comes weekly to teach them the language. I however have my reservations about this. Since we do not speak the language at home, and the standard is quite high, especially in upper primary and secondary, I am not too sure if they can really cope with it. So I am keeping my options open. They have been going to Hindi classes at DAV since last year (K1). So far so good....They still can't speak the language but since it's not a big deal for me (as I am very fluent with the language) I think I can take the chance with the language (this is a big plus for me as I can help them with Hindi as against Mandarin where I know zero).

The school they will be going to next year does not have Hindi Language option yet. I am still hopeful that if there are more students then I can convince the school to let them do the classes in school itself, otherwise they will join the other children for the Mandarin lessons and then go to the Hindi classes on Saturdays.

Btw, are you sure that DAV will send a Hindi teacher even if there is just one child? When I went two years back to DAV to enquire about K1, I was told they need min 4 children to start parallel sessions in a school.

Vividlaurel

reddotresident wrote:Hi Vividlaurel / Chixchix

Can you share your experiences pls? I have kid who is currently learning Mandarin at school and other who learns Hindi.

Chixchix, Hindi Society or DAV will arrange to teach hindi during their mother tongue time in school. They will send a teacher , even for just one students ( the fee varies). You will have to contact them and they will coordinate with whichever school you enrol your kid in.The school is usually very accomodating of such requests.

vividlaurel
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby reddotresident » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:01 pm

Hi vividlaurel

Yes, with even one student your kid can learn hindi in school. Lot of streamlining last year of Non Tamil Indian Languaage and transparent fee structure based on no. of students. Hindi Society is a better bet Hope you find this information useful!
Last edited by reddotresident on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

reddotresident
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby vividlaurel » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:26 pm

Hi reddotresident,

Looks like we both are alike. I totally agree with what you say, which is whay we started Hindi last year. They'll be doing Hindi next year and I hope to convince the school to start a parallel session there. Like you Hindi is not my mother tongue, but I try to speak to my kids and hope they catch on. We also watch Zee, but not as often as I like to since CN takes priority there!

Do you know any good hindi tutors?

You said your kid in in DAV in K2, mine too! Which school does he go to? Mine go to Teck Whye Sec.

reddotresident wrote:Hi vividlaurel

Your situation is very similar to mine. Couple of years ago, my son and 3 of his non-chinese classmates were also told the same - v.good in mandarin by their teachers....however, as the emphasis is more on verbal fluency i felt my son would be at a disadvantage so I moved him to hindi in primary school ( DAV on staurdays - K2 ). Some who went on to do Mandarin are floundering now...No of us engaged a tutor in preschool though - as the kids were in childcare. So, do think carefully! I speak hindi fluently although it is not our mother tongue...Kids loose touch with a lang. as quickly as they pick it up too...I realised this with the departure of my nepali nanny!

Now, when my 2nd child's nursery teacher says she is good in mandarin - it could mean a v.effective teacher, lot of emphasis on MT and plain catchy tunes which kids love...Even Hindi is a nightmare to be honest and good quality tuitions are expensive.

Yes, with even one student your kid can learn hindi in school. Lot of streamlining last year of Non Tamil Indian Languaage and transparent fee structure based on no. of students. Hindi Society is a better bet based on my experience.

Hope you find this information useful!

vividlaurel
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Non-Tamil(Hindi) Mothertongue.

Postby curiousmom » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:30 am

Dear parents

You have any idea,which secondary schools Non Tamil (Hindi) mothertongue kids are eligible to join?
HCI,ACS,RI etc have chinese or tamil compulsory subjects right?Can we consider those schools or not?

curiousmom
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Non-Tamil(Hindi) Mothertongue.

Postby xxjustakidxx » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:16 pm

curiousmom wrote:Dear parents

You have any idea,which secondary schools Non Tamil (Hindi) mothertongue kids are eligible to join?
HCI,ACS,RI etc have chinese or tamil compulsory subjects right?Can we consider those schools or not?

HCI is a total chinese school = tamil is not offered. You can drop that idea

xxjustakidxx
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

parallel hindi program or hindi center

Postby virus » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:50 pm

hi friends
I am staying in hougang & have daughter born in 2006, now in nursery at local PCF school, learning chinese there & going to Sengkang on saturday for hindi classes.
i have a few queries

some commented Hindi society is better than DAV society can you please elaborate & let us know.

I stay very close to hougang primary & also within 1 km of rosyth , both of which offer parallel hindi program. also compassvale & sengkang primary which are hindi centres for hindi society & Dav society respectively are well connected by bus service to where i stay & it takes around 15-20 mins by SBS buses.

my query is

if we want to take hindi as MT should we prefer parallel schools or the main centres as main centre is sure to have teachers during the weekdays, but other schools may not have. ( am i correct in thinking like that or am i wrong!)

can any of the experinced parents help us

p.s. we use hindi at home & my daughter is fluent in hindi.

virus
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: parallel hindi program or hindi center

Postby vividlaurel » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:57 am

Hi virus,

I don't have any comments on Hindi Society since DAV had a centre closest to where I live, it was always DAV for me since I didn't want my kids to travel a lot. You may ask others about HS though.

Given a choice I would prefer a school which has a parallel school as this will free up saturdays for the children which can be used for other things. Also the parallel school will have teachers 2-3 times a week unlike the centre where they cram it all in 1 day. But then if the school I want does not have a parallel centre, then it's no choice (like me)...

If there are no geat differences between schools, then go for the one nearest to your home as it will reduce travel time.

Hope this helps....

virus wrote:hi friends
I am staying in hougang & have daughter born in 2006, now in nursery at local PCF school, learning chinese there & going to Sengkang on saturday for hindi classes.
i have a few queries

some commented Hindi society is better than DAV society can you please elaborate & let us know.

I stay very close to hougang primary & also within 1 km of rosyth , both of which offer parallel hindi program. also compassvale & sengkang primary which are hindi centres for hindi society & Dav society respectively are well connected by bus service to where i stay & it takes around 15-20 mins by SBS buses.

my query is

if we want to take hindi as MT should we prefer parallel schools or the main centres as main centre is sure to have teachers during the weekdays, but other schools may not have. ( am i correct in thinking like that or am i wrong!)

can any of the experinced parents help us

p.s. we use hindi at home & my daughter is fluent in hindi.

vividlaurel
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Non-Tamil Indian Languages (NTIL)

Postby nehaagra » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:58 pm

Hi friends,

I stay in simei. And i want to enroll my kid in a school which has hindi as the second language, as hindi is our MT. From where can i check that which school provides hindi as a 2nd language. He's already gng at DAV for indi classes (k2)

Any other parents nearby in similar situation....

nehaagra
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby tankee » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:02 pm

This is what I managed to google from MOE website

Primary Schools that offers Hindi as subject are

http://app.sis.moe.gov.sg/schinfo/SIS_S ... Y%20SCHOOL

http://app.sis.moe.gov.sg/schinfo/SIS_S ... ary+School

Primary Schools that offers Hindi as special programme

tankee
Site Admin

Postby chixchix » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:04 pm

My child goes to Punjabi classes every Saturday.Since I am staying in Jurong West, he gets very tired going to study at Clementi in the mornings.

I have called his Primary school and they told me that they can start a class even if there is 1 child. But when I called the Sikh Advisory Board, its been 3 months but they can find a teacher for me who is wiling to teach at the school during MT lessons. They did tell me that they will be charging $350 since its only 1 child.

Now I am at a crossroad,my son doesnt like going on Saturdays ,there is nothing for him to do during MT lessons and the Sikh Advisory cant get me a teacher as their teachers prefer giving tuition at home.

chixchix
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Selection & Registration