LEARNConcierge

Motivation for studies

These are clubs for parents with children of the same age

Re: Motivation for studies

Postby IKnowEnglish » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:46 pm

Sometimes doing something together with friends can help. I didn't understand the fun of study groups until I was in university! (What a shame.)

Also, when at tuition, do teachers really take the time to see what the students are feeling or do they just crack the whip?

Learning is not easy. In fact, our brains are wired to avoid deep thinking! But if we reach people on an emotional level, it opens the doorway to explore learning together.

Other options for learning could be Udemy or Khan Academy. Khan Academy is free and the explanations are divine.

As for the suggestion of getting a job: I didn't think I'd go to university. Then after working in a sawmill for 3 months, I realised I love learning and went back to school and became a straight A student! Now a double degree holder.

Best of Luck

IKnowEnglish
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Inspiration » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:22 am

:?: I have two boys aged 12 (sec 1) & 10 (p4) this year. My younger boy is weak in his studies despite attending school remedial and home tution. I am lost as to how could I help him to be motivated.

Inspiration
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:13 am

Inspiration wrote::?: I have two boys aged 12 (sec 1) & 10 (p4) this year. My younger boy is weak in his studies despite attending school remedial and home tution. I am lost as to how could I help him to be motivated.

"Weak" and "unmotivated" are 2 separate issues, though one can affect the other. Try to figure out what the root issue is - if it's motivation, is it lack of discipline, boredom, attention-seeking? If it's weakness in any particular area (reading, maths etc) - which, and why? No single solution works for everyone.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kiasumom1 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:04 pm

My son is always tired and sleepy when I call him to study. I get really upset with him easily. However, I can't scold him because my mother-in-law pampers him a lot...anyone has any suggestion??

kiasumom1
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby kimmy4 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:38 am

Setting up goals. This is what I used to motivate my child w/ her studies and this really helps her a lot. She does not study because she needs to but she studies because she wants to. It is important to set goals because w/o goals, your child will not know the importance of studies and why she has to. Hope this helps!

kimmy4
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby limyingxi88 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:37 am

I think a good talk would do. If he is not working hard, it could very well be because he is not inclined towards the subjects he is working on. A friend of mine was in EM3, and eventually became a LKY scholar, topping ITE and being exceptionally adept at technology related projects. Support him no matter what :)

limyingxi88
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Limelight Teamwear » Wed May 09, 2018 2:28 pm

Use some condition for his break. If studies for 1 hour he will get his fev food or weekend trip.Or use another tricks like inspiring songs

Limelight Teamwear
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby RachelStar » Thu May 17, 2018 8:41 pm

i think motivation to study hard could only be induced from some place within ur child's heart. i think surrounding her with smart ppl, without demeaning words, will cause her to naturally seek to study harder, as it is human nature to compare oneself with others

RachelStar
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Janet32 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:05 am

Achieving this goal will make your child feel accomplished at the end of their study session. Reward them when they were able to complete their goal. Think of a small way to reward them when they've met their goal. If they're in the middle of a study session, you can let them take a quick walk, eat a granola bar, or listen to a favorite song.

Janet32
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Previous

Return to Clubs for parents with similar age children

LEARNConcierge