Post by Lovemebaby » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:41 pm

Hi there!! Anyone staying in Yishun? :hi5:

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:45

Re: Club 2011 Kiddos

Post by MrsKiasu » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:53 pm

Err I m thinking hor..if I should let dd2 go without tuition for English for at least P1 ? Her grammar, vocab are not there yet..can say anyhow hantam type.. Kinda more of self learned now. Somehow could read many words, I believe ..I thought cc taught alot of stuff but doesn't seem so if I m correct. I asked her who taught her, she will tell me I just read in my heart that sort of answer. She has the initiative at least for now...before sleeping, she told me she could spell rhythm something..true enough. Initially my plan was for her to go tuition after mid of this year..then dragged..then taught maybe start next Jan..now thinking if I should just let her be? One side of me says maybe can defer for as long as possible but at the same time so worry that I will miss out the window of opportunity for her to absorb as much as possible. Chinese tutor, cher told me her pinyin should be ok..next year can teach out of classroom thingy(?)..but Eng is more important yeah..dd1 was so 'cham' then for being unprepared ..good if could hear some thoughts from parents here...

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:94

Post by zac's mum » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:31 pm

MrsKiasu wrote:Err I m thinking hor..if I should let dd2 go without tuition for English for at least P1 ? Her grammar, vocab are not there yet..can say anyhow hantam type.. Kinda more of self learned now. Somehow could read many words, I believe ..I thought cc taught alot of stuff but doesn't seem so if I m correct. I asked her who taught her, she will tell me I just read in my heart that sort of answer. She has the initiative at least for now...before sleeping, she told me she could spell rhythm something..true enough. Initially my plan was for her to go tuition after mid of this year..then dragged..then taught maybe start next Jan..now thinking if I should just let her be? One side of me says maybe can defer for as long as possible but at the same time so worry that I will miss out the window of opportunity for her to absorb as much as possible. Chinese tutor, cher told me her pinyin should be ok..next year can teach out of classroom thingy(?)..but Eng is more important yeah..dd1 was so 'cham' then for being unprepared ..good if could hear some thoughts from parents here...
Hi my boy is 2010 kiddo but I happened to see your post.

I think you have the advantage of DD1 having gone thru the same school already. Try to dig out her P1 worksheets, tests and old textbooks (surely you'll be reusing them for DD2 next year anyway, so gotta dig them out anyway?)...from there you can refresh your memory what will be tested for English. Then you can assess whether your DD2 needs the extra prep.

My boy's school is using Stellar worksheets and they are pretty simple, not difficult for him to learn the vocab. As for grammar & punctuation, a friend passed me a very good book "My Pals Are Here Grammar Handbook for P1 and 2". On the outside it looks very drab, orange and blue cover, but inside there are full colour pictures that teach grammar very well. With written practice exercises too. I let my boy do a few here and there although his school doesn't require this book nor do his teachers stress much on grammar rules so far.

Sorry I don't know which school your girls are in. But you yourself know whether the P1 grades are important or not, whether or not the teachers will complain if the English not up to scratch. It varies from school to school. From there you can decide whether or when to start tuition. Hope that helps!

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:45

Post by MrsKiasu » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:03 pm

Thanks Zac's mom..guess maybe better wait till start of P1 see how it goes.

magicalland
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by magicalland » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:52 pm

In this FREE 'Healthy Kids, Happy Parents' workshop, you will learn what essential oils are, and how to choose essential oils that are of a quality standard; safe for your children and family.

You will also learn how to create a chemical free environment to bring up your children, to improve their overall health and wellness and helping them stay healthy and happy naturally.

Limited seats! Sign up for the workshop at this link: https://www.eventbrite.sg/e/healthy-kid ... 7378834099

When
22 September, 19:00–20:30
23 September, 13:00–14:30.

Shivania_S
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Shivania_S » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:08 pm

Hi,
I'm currently running a research on kiasuism and how it affects mother's stress.
If there are any mothers willing to take part in this online survey (it takes no longer than 15 mins), please click the link below:
https://goo.gl/forms/xCQJGvBrEzjcu3o63

Thank you. Your help is greatly appreciated.

forthelilones
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by forthelilones » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:32 pm

Hi Mummies
How r ur lil ones coping with P1?
Was wondering if anyone hired private tutor when your lil one was in K1/K2?
Considering one for my younger child coz the CC principle was unable to even advise me their lesson plan for the term.
Appreciate if anyone have experience hiring or recommendations. Anyone heard of Teacher Sonam? Saw on some website that she's good with syllabus. TIA !!

Jialing
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Jialing » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:43 pm

MrsKiasu wrote:Thanks Zac's mom..guess maybe better wait till start of P1 see how it goes.
I agree too..I was very kiasu when I sent my daughter to an enrichment centre in Bukit Timah when she was only K1.. she came back crying, saying that she did not like the environment and complained that the teacher was too fierce (she is abit crybaby)..then I tried engaging tutors from agencies..also not up to standard, so I kept changing my tutors.. I only started her back when she started P1 about Term 1..she did well and is still doing well. I must agree that it did help her transit well into primary school, but I feel that enrichment and tuition really depends on the teacher, not the branding of the centre :boogie:

iona481
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by iona481 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:48 pm

Jialing wrote:
MrsKiasu wrote:Thanks Zac's mom..guess maybe better wait till start of P1 see how it goes.
I agree too..I was very kiasu when I sent my daughter to an enrichment centre in Bukit Timah when she was only K1.. she came back crying, saying that she did not like the environment and complained that the teacher was too fierce (she is abit crybaby)..then I tried engaging tutors from agencies..also not up to standard, so I kept changing my tutors.. I only started her back when she started P1 about Term 1..she did well and is still doing well. I must agree that it did help her transit well into primary school, but I feel that enrichment and tuition really depends on the teacher, not the branding of the centre :boogie:
Hi, Jialing,
My son is also in P1 now, and I'm wondering to find a tutor to improve his English. Do you know where to find a good tutor? Someone says some primary teachers will be a tutor for privacy, but I don't know how to find. Do you have any ideas? :smile: :smile:

cmw80
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by cmw80 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:53 am

For private tutor, sometimes its by luck..have to trial and error. By the way, anyone started their P1 kiddo for Chinese tuition? My son was in Berries, it helped but now at P1, I am wondering if I should continue or stop as he seems to be coping