Club 2001 Kids

These are clubs for parents with children of the same age
Triple Js
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Club 2001 Kids

Post by Triple Js » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:23 pm

Rishisusee wrote:Hi mummies ,
What kind of books my DD should read to improve her English . She alwsys likes to read Geronimo Stilton only , not even readers digest . Her English is not very good . I want her make habit to read more and more books during holidays and her free time . Appreciate your suggestions .
Thank you

can try Chicken Soup.. nice short stories for kids.. DD1 has been reading almost all the kids to teens series and is still enjoying.
recently also realised she has been reading books by Jacqualine Wilson..
DD2 is joining in too. :smile:

mummy-pinky
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by mummy-pinky » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:20 am

hi, do you have any good recommendation for sec 1 assessment books for all subjects? intend to get a few for my DD to practice. thanks

ilovelaksa
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:16

Post by ilovelaksa » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:47 am

Rishisusee wrote:Thank you all .
Hi guys I need your advice shall I sign up face book account for my DD?? She is keep on asking me that when can she use FB ? Her most of the friends got FB account. Is it ok to let her use FB ? Need your opinions .
TIA

Hi all my children, except my ds, don't hv fb accts as they don't use the computer in pri sch. My ds started his fb in Sec2 as his teachers disseminate infor sometimes via this mode.

ilovelaksa
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by ilovelaksa » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:37 am

Triple Js wrote:
What kind of books my DD should read to improve her English . She alwsys likes to read Geronimo Stilton only , not even readers digest . Her English is not very good . I want her make habit to read more and more books during holidays and her free time . Appreciate your suggestions .
Thank you

can try Chicken Soup.. nice short stories for kids.. DD1 has been reading almost all the kids to teens series and is still enjoying.
recently also realised she has been reading books by Jacqualine Wilson..
DD2 is joining in too. :smile:

The Graveyard Book, Coraline - Neil Gaiman (my dd1's fav)
The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
Mysterious Benedict Society series (my dd2's fav)
Ender's Game series (my ds likes these)
A Wrinkle In Time - Madeline L' Engle
Red Sky In The Morning - Elizabeth Laird
Hunger Games series (my ds likes these)
Books by Louisa May Alcott (dd1 loves Wuthering Heights) JRR Tolkien, L.M. Montgomery, Emily Bronte, Jules Verne, Ho Min Fong, Catherine Lim
Sherlock Holmes series by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (another of dd1's fav)
Gone series by Michael Grant (loved by all)
Harry Potter series (loved by all)
Narnia series by C. S. Lewis
some more I cannot rem. Gotta ask my dds n ds when they get home.
Some of the books my S1 girl has just completed for this Dec hols are: Animal Farm, Jules Verne's 20k Leagues Under The Sea and Journey To The Centre of The Earth, Pearl S Buck's The Good Earth, books by Nick Vujicic, Half The Sky - How To Change The World by Nicholas Kristof & Sheryl Wudunn, Harper Lee's To Kill A Mocking Bird and Khaled Hosseini's Kite Runner (ds likes this too). She has more time to read after PSLE.
I m tryg to get ' I am Malala' and 'Little Ironies' for her.
My dd1 likes poetry too which is unexpected as poetry is not my ds' cup of tea.
Geronimo Stilton.may not be suited for Upp Pri n Lower Sec as it's a little basic. Ds1 has tried them at lower pri but the diff fonts in the books r rather distractg so I nvr intro them to my dds.
My dd1 n ds1 enjoyed Chicken Soup very much. Now that my dd2 is readg it, she says they are gd too.
We hv not tried Reader's Digest.
Btw, the above are all unabridged vers.
HTH.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:76

Post by ngl2010 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:04 am

Thank you

DS loves to read books but I noticed it only inculcated love for reading. His vocabulary and compo were still unsatisfactory even after he read thick young adults books. I saw improvements in cloze passage only after he started reading The Straits Times in P6. Mid P6 we asked him to read Reader's Digest and we saw improvements in compo. Just last week we started him on Time magazine and he said he enjoys reading it.

Maybe ask your DD what her friends are reading. It will be more fun if they are reading the same books as they can discuss it :smile:
Last edited by ngl2010 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

ilovelaksa
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by ilovelaksa » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:38 am

ngl2010 wrote:DS loves to read books but I noticed it only inculcated love for reading. His vocabulary and compo were still unsatisfactory even after he read thick young adults books. I saw improvements in cloze passage only after he started reading The Straits Times in P6. Mid P6 we asked him to read Reader's Digest and we saw improvements in compo. Just last week we started him on Time magazine and he said he enjoys reading it.

Maybe ask your DD what her friends are reading. It will be more fun if they are reading the same books as they can discuss it :smile:

My ds doesn't enjoy thick books, nor even the thin ones. In fact he doesn't enjoy readg. So it is constant struggle for me to find books that he is willing to read. He likes newspapers n sci journals possibly bcoz they r more factual, straight to the pt. My girls r v v v diff fm him. I agree readg newspp is v impt for mastery of cloze passages.
My girls hv no.prob in all aspects of Eng. Ds suffers mainly in compo in pri sch. Even in sec1, when writing is still descriptive, he struggled a little. But once he gets onto the argumentative essays in sec2 n now more GP style writing in upp sec IP, he scores much much better. I suspect my 2g may hv a reverse prob : )

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by ngl2010 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:49 am

ilovelaksa wrote:
ngl2010 wrote:DS loves to read books but I noticed it only inculcated love for reading. His vocabulary and compo were still unsatisfactory even after he read thick young adults books. I saw improvements in cloze passage only after he started reading The Straits Times in P6. Mid P6 we asked him to read Reader's Digest and we saw improvements in compo. Just last week we started him on Time magazine and he said he enjoys reading it.

My ds doesn't enjoy thick books, nor even the thin ones. In fact he doesn't enjoy readg. So it is constant struggle for me to find books that he is willing to read. He likes newspapers n sci journals possibly bcoz they r more factual, straight to the pt. My girls r v v v diff fm him. I agree readg newspp is v impt for mastery of cloze passages.
My girls hv no.prob in all aspects of Eng. Ds suffers mainly in compo in pri sch. Even in sec1, when writing is still descriptive, he struggled a little. But once he gets onto the argumentative essays in sec2 n now more GP style writing in upp sec IP, he scores much much better. I suspect my 2g may hv a reverse prob : )

I am sorry that I didn't quote the original post. My post was not addressed to you :imsorry: I will amend it and included the original post.

It is good to hear that in sec 2 it is more argumentative essays :please: It will be interesting to find out how he thinks :smile:

ilovelaksa
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by ilovelaksa » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:01 pm

ngl2010 wrote:I am sorry that I didn't quote the original post. My post was not addressed to you :imsorry: I will amend it and included the original post.

It is good to hear that in sec 2 it is more argumentative essays :please: It will be interesting to find out how he thinks :smile:

Hi, no worries. I don't usu hv time to read my children's essays but I do make time to look at their grades though, hehe. Your ds's sch may hv a diff direction in curriculum, so your ds might cope better at sec1.

ilovelaksa
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by ilovelaksa » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:30 pm

Has ur kids started studyg? A fren of my dd1 has. She has bn studyg her s1 textbook eversince she bot them last wk. Her mum n dad hv started coachg her in algebra after her PSLE n she was telling my dd1 dat she has covered some of the pure sci topics.
My kids did nothing but eat, sleep, read, play indoors n outdoors, outings, generally chilling for more than a mth. Ok, dd1 did more than the rest but nothing academic. Don't kn if I shld get started on wk asap.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by ngl2010 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:50 pm

DS was playing lego for the past few days :faint: . He only finished Animal Farm and he is reading Geography textbook. He is reading it like a storybook. Nothing stuck in his brain lah :wink: He was looking forward to read history but too bad the school does not have any particular history textbook.

No need to worry about Maths. I flipped the book and it is much easier than P6 :wink:

DH (not DS) is studying Physics textbook. I don't know what he is doing lah as long as he does not ask me to read the textbook together with him :laugh: