Motivation for studies

These are clubs for parents with children of the same age

Motivation for studies

Postby ABCmangosteen » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:59 pm

My son is taking his 'O' levels this year.
His motivation level is extremely low.

After 2 hours of tuition, he is totally exhausted and needs a 4 hours break.
He plays with his handphone, watches TV or sleeps during this break.
Of course, his results is not good at all.
He falls from 25points in Sec 3 to 33 points in the L1R5

No matter how I tried to encourage him, he does not care.
Even his school teacher's talk to him, also no use.
Chase him to do his revision, he only did 1 question in 1.5hours
The whole of June holidays, can't even finish his revision for 1 subject.

Have tried Mindchamp, Alan Khoo , still no results.

Anyone have good suggestions? No expensive courses please.

ABCmangosteen
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Motivation for studies

Postby mathtuition88 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:05 am

Reading motivational books can be quite useful and inspiring.

Just to recommend this inspiring Math Book:
Math Doesn't Suck: How to Survive Middle School Math Without Losing Your Mind or Breaking a Nail

You can find it in library or buy from Amazon.

Maths is one of the most important subjects in O Levels, since doing well in Maths means doing well in 3 subjects namely :E Maths, A Maths,(and usually Physics too). These three subjects are usually interlinked, and students who do well in one will do well in the other 2.
---
Some motivational books that may be useful, hope it helps:
Achieve Anything in Just One Year: Be Inspired Daily to Live Your Dreams and Accomplish Your Goals

mathtuition88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zbear » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:31 am

Oh dear, this sounds very worrisome when O levels is just round the corner.

Did you have a heart to heart talk n find out what is the source of his problem? Has he been like that since Sec 3 or just only now? Is he burnt out from school?

I think you need to find out what is the real issue n tackle it soon. IMHO, just by pushing him to studies will not help much.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:47 am

Maybe give him instant reward and penalty?

Confiscate his handphone and forbid him from watching TV? Then, everytime he finishes doing something, let him use the phone for 10 minutes or watch TV for 10 minutes.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:53 am

At his age, he needs to have internal motivation. I don't think a reward/penalty system will work unless he himself agrees to it in the first place. Is he stressed? Some people experience low energy levels and just give up when stressed. Has he seen a counselor? That might produce some answers.

Another thing you could try is to tell him that you will withdraw him from the O levels this year as he is not preparing for it, and then he can decide whether to continue schooling next year. In the meanwhile, make him get a job of some kind. The reality check may help. You will need to ask if the school is willing to back you up in this though.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zbear » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:07 am

I agree with slmkhoo about internal motivation. My DS is also not motivated n he tells me he needs inner motivation in order to study hard. I think he is still searching for 'enlightenment'. I only hope his enlightenment comes just before O levels next year or he will be in deep hot soup.

On the other hand, I don't agree with slmkhoo about him finding a job. Chances are he wont want to go back to studies immediately. He will probably regret n decide to go back to books only in his 20s. Withdrawing from O levels is a good idea but he shld continue his studies n not take up a job. To me, that is a very risky option.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:12 am

zbear wrote:On the other hand, I don't agree with slmkhoo about him finding a job. Chances are he wont want to go back to studies immediately. He will probably regret n decide to go back to books only in his 20s. Withdrawing from O levels is a good idea but he shld continue his studies n not take up a job. To me, that is a very risky option.

My thinking is that the kind of job that he can get with no O levels would not be attractive and would make him realise that he needs more qualifications. It may be the reality check he needs.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phtthp » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:49 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
zbear wrote:On the other hand, I don't agree with slmkhoo about him finding a job. Chances are he wont want to go back to studies immediately. He will probably regret n decide to go back to books only in his 20s. Withdrawing from O levels is a good idea but he shld continue his studies n not take up a job. To me, that is a very risky option.

My thinking is that the kind of job that he can get with no O levels would not be attractive and would make him realise that he needs more qualifications. It may be the reality check he needs.

If ask him to work now -
Can work : both ways.

If it able to knock sense into him, make him see reality & importance of studies, then good.
Eg : his boss may encourage to study while he still can.
Otherwise, hard to get good job with good prospects.
If pple around him can help advise him, point out the correct direction / path in life to walk, Yes, this is good.

But it may also back fire the other way round.
Because bad colleagues or introduce friends to him, may influence him.
Your son is at a age, where he cAn be easily influenced, his mind & thoughts highly impressionable, depend on who he mix around with.

If Teach him wrong things, lead him astray.
Tell him things like study so much for what ?
come ! I show you a fast & quick method of earning fast buck !
Once you got $ money, you want any women, also can.

If influenced this way -
You going to lose yr son, because he won't be interested in studies anymore.

So if you let him start working so young in life, depend on what fate has in store for him.
Will he get into encounter with good or bad colleagues / outside friends ?

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mathtuition88 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:00 pm

You can try this method of studying: Pomodoro Method
(http://mathtuition88.com/2013/11/06/stu ... technique/)

It is basically breaking up a big task (studying for O levels) into smaller tasks. All you need is a kitchen timer.
Time 30 minutes study, followed by 5 minutes break. Every 4 cycles allowed to take a longer 30 minutes break. I personally use this technique too, as it helps to get started. Getting started is the hardest part of doing revision.

There are five basic steps to implementing the technique:
1.Decide on the task to be done
2.Set the pomodoro timer to n minutes (traditionally 25)[1]
3.Work on the task until the timer rings; record with an x
4.Take a short break (3–5 minutes)
5.After four pomodori, take a longer break (15–30 minutes)

mathtuition88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zbear » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:07 pm

phtthp wrote:But it may also back fire the other way round.
Because bad colleagues or introduce friends to him, may influence him.
Your son is at a age, where he cAn be easily influenced, his mind & thoughts highly impressionable, depend on who he mix around with.

If Teach him wrong things, lead him astray.
Tell him things like study so much for what ?
come ! I show you a fast & quick method of earning fast buck !
Once you got $ money, you want any women, also can.

We had lunch at Macdonalds n happen to sit next to a young boy (around 15 years old) with 2 young girls. He is speaking in Hokkien vulgar language very loudly n is holding a cigarette pack. Its obvious he is a school dropout n he was telling the girls that he has just got his salary ---- so is he showing that he is better off working than schooling?

How much can he earn without a proper education? N with smoking, I doubt if his pay can support his expensive habit.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Clubs for parents with similar age children