How to teach spelling???

Academic support for Primary 1
marshallbrown
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: How to teach spelling???

Post by marshallbrown » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:59 pm

Everyone is suggesting here to start verbally and it reminded me of my childhood, exactly this method works!

fruitpastilles
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by fruitpastilles » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:45 pm

Hi there! I am a tuition coordinator :) We are able to provide a home tutor especially for your primary one kid! according to your preferences on:
-Budget
-Start Date
-Lesson Duration

If interested, please send a private message to me by clicking on my profile and sending me a PM OR emailing pinkpurple18.bck@gmail.com :)
1. Name
2. Contact Number
3. Level and subject
4. Tuition Location
5. Preferred days and timeslots
6. Budget per hour
7. Any other special preferences (gender etc.)

We will then match you to the perfect tutor :)

Fattymummy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Fattymummy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:43 pm

For Chinese, my boy used to struggle until one day I told him that writing Chinese words is like drawing (he likes drawing). Then I showed him how the spelling words look like in ancient pictorial form and asked him to draw out then asked him to compare with the current form then he write again. He enjoys doing it and it helps him develop the interest in the words.

faeesperas
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by faeesperas » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:31 pm

marshallbrown wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:59 pm
Everyone is suggesting here to start verbally and it reminded me of my childhood, exactly this method works!
Hi marshallbrown, a good way to teach spelling to your child is by doing the "stairs method." It's like introducing the letters of the word one by one, like a flight of stairs. For example, if you want your child to learn to spell the world "stairs," you can do it like this:

S
ST
STA
STAI
STAIR
STAIRS

You may also use flashcards to represent each letter of the word (for small and simple words) to add more visuals for your child. :)

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
Total Likes:320

Post by ChiefKiasu » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:49 pm

Lol. That's a good way teach teach just the word "stairs". Not very useful to teach anything else. A thought struck me. We usually speed read by reading the first and last character of every word. So your strategy might even hamper speed reading...

pokoyoko
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:7

Post by pokoyoko » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:21 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:49 pm
Lol. That's a good way teach teach just the word "stairs". Not very useful to teach anything else. A thought struck me. We usually speed read by reading the first and last character of every word. So your strategy might even hamper speed reading...
I never realised this. Putting it to the test now!! :shock: