Child's Position in P1 Class

Academic support for Primary 1

Postby MMM » Thu May 27, 2010 2:02 pm

My kids' school do that from P1 as well.

For mid year, they will publish the class position. Meanwhile for year end, they will publish class and cohort position.

I do agree that particularly in the case of P1, this figure merely tells how well prepared they are for P1 but it does not guarantee the future.

Personally, I find such information useful in a sense that it gives some indication of where the child stands. Seeing the results in absolute value means nothing. This should be compared against the cohort (not class).

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby starlight1968sg » Thu May 27, 2010 2:13 pm

Different schools have slightly different rules.

It is common to have the class position listed on the report book. As for the ranking in the cohort, my dd's school does not practise it even in the upper primary but the form teacher knows and sometimes will tell the parents during the meet-the parent session. This is basically to encourage the kid to excel and motivate him/her further.

Yes, nothing is guarantee. Even with a U degree, does it guarantee the holder anything?

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Thu May 27, 2010 2:47 pm

Honestly, in our school even without ranking, I have overheard parents saying must get >=96% then it is considered good in the school.

Rat racers, if they are one, will find out in any case....

Postby csc » Thu May 27, 2010 2:52 pm

MMM wrote:My kids' school do that from P1 as well.

I do agree that particularly in the case of P1, this figure merely tells how well prepared they are for P1 but it does not guarantee the future.

As a 过来人,I can testify to the truth of this statement. I know a number of my children's classmates who were ranked like 100/440 and yet able to rise to the top ten of the whole cohort during their P5 & 6 and finally the PSLE. Likewise, there are those who were tops in P1 to P3 but were not able to sustain their performance in P4 to P6.

The syllabus tends to be rather simple during P1 to P3 and is not able to distinguish the ability of the students clearly. Those who are careful, especially girls , tend to excel in the lower primary. JMHO.

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Thu May 27, 2010 3:20 pm

csc wrote:As a 过来人,I can testify to the truth of this statement. I know a number of my children's classmates who were ranked like 100/440 and yet able to rise to the top ten of the whole cohort during their P5 & 6 and finally the PSLE. Likewise, there are those who were tops in P1 to P3 but were not able to sustain their performance in P4 to P6.

The syllabus tends to be rather simple during P1 to P3 and is not able to distinguish the ability of the students clearly. Those who are careful, especially girls , tend to excel in the lower primary. JMHO.

While I agree that this is generally true, I also feel that those with 100/440 type of kids will get more closely monitored for improvement by the parents. Hence there is a marked improvement in later part of the academic journey.

So actually being behind in lower primary may not be a bad thing as it can act as a booster to strive harder for some kids.

Actually there is no right and wrong because there are all kinds of people in the world.

All information given is really subject to individual's interpretation. Giving more information is never an issue unless the ones interpreting want to make it an issue. And because of that, many schools actually practise not giving any ranking at lower levels, class or standard, in report book.

Postby csc » Thu May 27, 2010 3:48 pm

All information given is really subject to individual's interpretation. Giving more information is never an issue unless the ones interpreting want to make it an issue. And because of that, many schools actually practise not giving any ranking at lower levels, class or standard, in report book.

I feel that ranking at the lower levels are not necessary and parents are more 'kiasu' when the kids are at the lower levels (speaking for myself) so definitely will make it a big issue lor.

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Pen88n » Fri May 28, 2010 12:32 pm

Constant improvement in the kid is more impt than the grading of the kid at that stage. If parents put in the effort to analyse the kid and the kid's grade, they will realise if it is due to gap (not understanding) or just pure carelessness. Preants also need to be realistic and really know the "potential" of your kid. This will really show in long term when kid reaches upper pri and sec. When parents are hands-on and really "teach" or "coach" your kids, you will know each of your kid's potential. I believe in maximising the kid's potential, but I do not believe in putting undue stress on the kid to perform way beyond his potential.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby radiantmum » Fri May 28, 2010 8:30 pm

My DS school shows both class and cohort position.

I am happy to have that as it gives me a guage of my kid's relative standing.

In my view, nothing wrong with the school showing rankings. Kiasu parents will still be able to go all out to compile it one way or another. Knowing is not a problem, not applying that knowledge in the right way is THE problem.

radiantmum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby HyperKiasu » Fri May 28, 2010 10:30 pm

not only showing position at class & cohort, my kid's sch also report mean/highest/percentile band for each subject.

i think it is a good practice. my ds's CL 94/100. initially i thought it is not too bad but when i know 94 is below the top 20%, i realized i need to do something with his CL......

HyperKiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Guest » Fri May 28, 2010 10:37 pm

HyperKiasu wrote:not only showing position at class & cohort, my kid's sch also report mean/highest/percentile band for each subject.

i think it is a good practice. my ds's CL 94/100. initially i thought it is not too bad but when i know 94 is below the top 20%, i realized i need to do something with his CL......

Just curious, is your school an elite or neighbourhood school if you don't mind sharing?

Next

Return to Primary 1