Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

All About Preparing For Primary One

Academic support for Primary 1

Re: All About Preparing For Primary One

Postby Zappy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:33 pm

zac's mum wrote:Btw the best tip I’ve heard from experienced parents - if u do plan to buy the books in school and cart them home yourself - bring a roller suitcase to help u transport all those books home. They are extremely heavy, no kidding!

I'd actually advise to just order online... usually Popular or Pacific Bookstore (the usual bookstores given the MOE school contracts) even have discounts with credit cards and also offer delivery right to the doorstep. It's the same books anyway plus you can do that in the comfort of your home rather than at the crowded classroom/ canteen when your time is better spent talking to the teachers or exploring the school during orientation.

And yes, P1 is pretty chill - so the teachers will guide the new students. No need to worry about not having books and also having to carry all the heavy bags there on Day 1.

Zappy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 466
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:38 am
Total Likes: 5


Re: All About Preparing For Primary One

Postby revils_ling » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:24 pm

Thanks for the responses and tips What The, Zappy and zac's mum! :grphug:

Since our 2C attempt has been successful, my intention is to try to clear all the necessary logistics (if I can help it) by the end of the P1 orientation weekend. I would prefer to get the books from Popular and only the compulsory school-branded/related items from the school bookshop. So I was wondering when the school will release their 2019 booklist as they did upload their 2018 booklist for P1-P6 on the school's website. If possible, I would try to purchase the uniforms beforehand and wash/iron them before the end of November as well. Then the entire family can have a relaxing December before P1 starts in January. :celebrate:
Last edited by revils_ling on Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

revils_ling
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:42 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About Preparing For Primary One

Postby zac's mum » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:46 pm

I seem to recall that closer to the Orientation date, the school will mail a package with the booklist. Maybe you can call the school to find out when they will send u the booklist?

For the uniforms, I was also quite excited and bought them in early December (brought him down to the shop to try without having to Q). BUT he happened to have a growth spurt around Christmas time! So in January the shorts were already too tight lol. Thankfully, I managed to shift & re-sew the buckle a few mm looser. So...the lesson is, don’t buy so early. Or, buy the size a LOT bigger and alter closer as needed.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1503
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:10 pm
Total Likes: 24


Re: All About Preparing For Primary One

Postby revils_ling » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:27 pm

zac's mum wrote:I seem to recall that closer to the Orientation date, the school will mail a package with the booklist. Maybe you can call the school to find out when they will send u the booklist?

For the uniforms, I was also quite excited and bought them in early December (brought him down to the shop to try without having to Q). BUT he happened to have a growth spurt around Christmas time! So in January the shorts were already too tight lol. Thankfully, I managed to shift & re-sew the buckle a few mm looser. So...the lesson is, don’t buy so early. Or, buy the size a LOT bigger and alter closer as needed.


Appreciate the heads up on the growth spurt! Will keep that in mind when we get to buy the uniform :salute:

To be honest, my boy and I were pretty excited after receiving the SMS yesterday. In an attempt to curb our excitement, we went shopping and bought him 2 pairs of white shoes (sized-up) for P1 :dancing:

revils_ling
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:42 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About Preparing For Primary One

Postby janet88 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:58 pm

revils_ling wrote:Appreciate the heads up on the growth spurt! Will keep that in mind when we get to buy the uniform :salute:

To be honest, my boy and I were pretty excited after receiving the SMS yesterday. In an attempt to curb our excitement, we went shopping and bought him 2 pairs of white shoes (sized-up) for P1 :dancing:

not only do the kids shoot up during the year end holidays, they shoot upwards and sideways when they start p1 too.
with less control buying food during recess, kids will get the thrill of buying food with friends after school.
I remember my neighbour telling me her daughter was happily eating ice cream during recess. the p1s enjoy this newfound freedom once they overcome the fear of buying food.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 39530
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 am
Total Likes: 125



Re: All About Preparing For Primary One

Postby MyPillow » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:54 pm

revils_ling wrote:Thanks for the responses and tips What The, Zappy and zac's mum! :grphug:

Since our 2C attempt has been successful, my intention is to try to clear all the necessary logistics (if I can help it) by the end of the P1 orientation weekend. I would prefer to get the books from Popular and only the compulsory school-branded/related items from the school bookshop. So I was wondering when the school will release their 2019 booklist as they did upload their 2018 booklist for P1-P6 on the school's website. If possible, I would try to purchase the uniforms beforehand and wash/iron them before the end of November as well. Then the entire family can have a relaxing December before P1 starts in January. :celebrate:



So exciting right !
Bring back my memory of P1 for both kids
I think buy all fr Sch bookshop TB n uniform on Orientation day
Both u n hubby can spilt the job - one q uniform , one Q textbook - if there are other older kids or granny can help Q too ;p
You can buy all items on one day n go for yr end holidays le.
Fr my experience,popular store may not have stock for all textbooks during dec book sales - some Sch design their own Eng booklets n worksheets that are only available at Sch bookshop ; art class may use certain brand of crayons , poster color , acrylic paint etc apron for art lesson .... so buy all fr Sch bookshop save u trips of going popular n Sch bookshop to complete the list .
Make your kid Wear simple T n short on orientation , faster n easy to try on Sch uniform during the sales . Bring socks - some Sch uniform vendor sell white shoes - one or two pairs shoes are up to you - if your child do not need to walk to n fro fr Sch - one pair should be enuff - assumption ur p1 is not caught in heavy rain to wet the shoes . Or some clumsy p1 might pour drink over n wet Sch shoes during recess - Anything can happen to P1 during recess - be well prepared n stay chill :)

My girl was so excited that she took her own initiative to meticulously wrote her name on each piece of colour pencil ( there is a white blank on faber castell to write ) ; eraser , pencil case etc . Order cartoon name stickers to put on all bottles , bags , lunch boxes etc Losing such items are common in p1.teach your child to go to General office lost n found box to check if p1 Lose any items

Maybe , dun buy Sch shoes so early as the kid may grow suddenly - buy Sch shoes in dec
Yes , a trolley bag is good to bring back all textbook bought during orientation day if u are not driving

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 6109
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:10 pm
Total Likes: 11


Re: All About Preparing For Primary One

Postby revils_ling » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:36 pm

Just to share... Apparently MOE will update/upload their ATL (Approved Textbook List) by mid-August annually on their website (https://www.moe.gov.sg/education/syllab ... tbook-list), and for some (if not all) schools, their P1 booklists will be ready by mid to late October, just before the P1 orientation day. And the respective book vendors (e.g. Pacific Bookstores) will publish the schools' booklists on their vendor website by early November. So it will be possible to pre-order the books we need before orientation day instead of having to Q for both books and uniforms at the same time. I would prefer to pre-purchase the textbooks and uniforms because I don't like to leave it all to last minute. If I can get them in earlier, I can spread out the book wrapping/labelling, washing, ironing, or whatever adjustments required. :celebrate:

revils_ling
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:42 am
Total Likes: 0


Previous

Return to Primary 1

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres