Re: Primary 1 Preparations

Post by Octavia » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:05 pm

babythumb wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:55 am
Octavia wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:09 am
ChiefKiasu wrote:
Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:25 pm

My kid is in Primary 3 and I'm still learning :).

OK... here's what you need:

1. Mental Preparation
- Your kid needs to learn to listen and record instructions from teachers. Normally, the teacher will get the kid to write down homework or instructions to their parents in a Parents-Teacher booklet which YOU need to check religiously everyday. That is the main way by which you know what is happening in school, besides the occasional handouts. You probably need to get the email addresses of at least the form teacher.

- If your kid goes to school in the morning, it is necessary to condition him/her for at least 3 months before school starts. Sleep no later than 9pm and wake up at 6:30am.

- Train your kid to operate a regular schedule with specific timing. Wake up, brush teeth, eat breakfast, exercise, and then lessons. If your child is already in a PCF or similar kindergarten, you have your job cut up for you. But make sure you follow up on the teachers' comments on homework and stuff.

- Train your kid to be self reliant, confident and independent from a young age. This is the TRUE key to success and it will save you a lot of heart ache and stress later. I'm not just talking about teaching your child to order his/her own food. A child that is self-driven will accomplish much more than one with very high IQ. You should attend parenting courses yourself to learn how to do so. Mindchamps comes to mind.

2. Academic Preparation
There are only 3 subjects in Primary 1 and 2 - English, Chinese and Maths. While there are variations, in general the following can be expected:

a. English and Chinese
P1 kids are expected to do:
- spelling, 听写 and dictation every week (word list of 10 words)
- show and tell every term
- tests involving multiple choice grammar, comprehension, and picture composition
- oral tests involving picture compositions.

To prepare for this, it will be good to encourage kindergarten kids to:

- read voraciously to build up grammer and vocabulary. It is a given these days that kids are EXPECTED to know phonics and all 26 alphabets BEFORE they enter P1.

- attend speech and drama classes to improve confidence and presentation skills

- learn to write simple Chinese characters properly in terms of all the basic strokes 笔画 (heng, shu, etc) and in the proper order. Some teachers are VERY sticky such that even though the character looks correct, if the strokes are wrong, it will still be marked wrong.

- For Chinese, make sure there is a strong foundation of Hanyu Pinyin. I would recommend that you consider sending your child to group-based learning such as the Hua Language Centre as soon as he/she reach 4 years old - it is VERY difficult otherwise to build an interest in the language unless you constantly use it at home.

b. Mathematics
P1 students are expected to:
- Add/subtract up to 100
- Number bonds
- Times table up to 10 (some 12)
- Abstract modeling to solve problems
- Read analog time (half past, quarter to, etc)
- work with numbers in numeric and alphabet form: eg. 10-8=? or what is the difference between ten and eight?

It is very different from during our times, where all we need to do is to memorize by heart the 12 times table. Kids are required to really UNDERSTAND the logic behind the math.

Take a peek at the P1 assessments when you drop by a Popular bookstore to get a feel for what your child is going to be up against.

To prepare for P1, the main thing to focus on would be to work on the speed of doing the fundamentals of addition and subtraction, and multiplication. Then your child can focus in class on the more complex and abstract logic and modeling processes. I highly recommend Kumon for this job... if you start your child in Kumon by K1, you can be sure that he will well prepared for P1 (and even P2!)

3. Parental Preparation
You must also prepare yourself to support your child! At least one parent has to take time out to guide the child on a daily basis on his schoolwork. It is VERY unlikely the child knows how to manage all the work thrown on him by himself. Nowadays, the schools EXPECT parents to do the job, or at least outsource the job to tutors.

Wish somebody has taught me all this before :cry: . But hey... at least others can now learn from my pain :).

Oh this is very informative and really appreciate for taking your time to share this valuable tips.
:thankyou:
I suggest not to market this because this is another promotional advertisement.
A child is a child. Forcing the child with additional mathematics, 5000 words essay, newspaper size composition article, biology, chemistry, physics will never gain. Please stop believing nor help spreading all these advertisements lies. We should not corrode our innocent children and society.
Yeah, i m not super super kiasu parents. :smile:

babythumb
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Total Likes:1

Re: All About Preparing For Primary One

Post by babythumb » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:03 pm

I had conversation with my another brother's son last week. The older is in university and the second is in polytechnic.
These 2 have no tuition at all and the parents are not high educated. My this brother only diploma while the wife is o level. As you see they are not high IQ too. The second son in polytechnic because he want to avoid A level stress and skipped to polytechnic way. I just cannot understand, does stressing your kids to expensive tuitions will make your children become Super professors? Many people said BMW are Good German quality but why did lots of owners face so many full of problems everywhere? Why cheaper Toyota lasts longer? Does expensive cost means better quality and necessity?

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:197

Post by zac's mum » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:10 pm

Maybe different parents have different goals for/expectations of their kids. Just like how some people like to buy BMW, some people prefer Toyota. That’s why there’s variety in the market. To cater to different consumers’ tastes.

cheryl12345
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by cheryl12345 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:13 am

Better to aim for BMW. If cannot get, still may get Toyota.

Ps: my child will also be in p1 next year.

babythumb
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by babythumb » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:52 am

I think your post is very misleading. Its not about some like to buy BMW and some like Toyota. BMW price is almost double than Toyota so Toyota owners cannot afford BMW. Many varieties in the market of cars has no relevant in get tuition or not tuition. Your variety meaning should be relevant to which tuition centers to enrol. Do you think every HDB owners can afford to buy a condo in Singapore but they prefer to stay in a HDB?
Which parent do not have expectations, goals and expect their children to become better? Its about affordability and realistic so thats why these parents start to inquire everywhere.

Aim for BMW but you will never get the chance to buy the Toyota after failed. After failed, where to get money? If you have the money to buy another Toyota, you should be buying a more expensive brand than BMW. Lets say if you try to be selected by an interview to a company and its Manager position but fail, will that company still let you in to become an assistant Manager? There is no such empty position for you unless ...., will you work for free?
It is unrealistic to think like a dreamer.

I know a lot of BMW owners do not have the money to pay small repairs when economy collapsed. Some even left their BMW in car workshops for months.
Do you know Toyota company is many times richer and bigger than any other car makers? BMW cannot even smell Toyota's smoke, too far away and the gap is getting bigger.
What happened to Ford when they invented cars in a bicycle age? They are getting smaller everyday and selling arms and legs.
Do you want the the BMW crash and kill the driver? If there are passengers, then all will follow in turn?
A lot of parents spent a fortune but ended up all wasted. Everyone has ego, even drug sellers but where did they ended before they manage to become a tiny drug boss? A lot of people are whelmed by their greeds but nobody cares of them when they are in jeopardy.

Do you think that everyone who aim high sure can get high? Then everyone is rich and no poor man. Everyone is a minister or boss, no workers. Yes, you can try and follow those who asked you pay $1000-2000 every month starting P1 to forever. If I am working for a tuition center or get advertising money from them, I would also ask you to get tuitions too. The government also prefer you to pay for tuition so more job rates and they can get more taxes from tuition centres and the teachers. More tax, minister and related people income also raises. Yes, more people can afford BMW too. Did they thank you?
Some countries even has fake YouTube stories over exaggerated their countries tuition issue but the fact is far more different. There are even some tuition teacher use multiple lies and scams by saying if your child do not improve in 1 month, they will not take your money. Improve 1% is considered improve! These teachers can twist their words with parents who will loose in an inexperienced argument.

Everyone who post here wants advice pros and cons on tuition for P1, please do not spam with no constructive answers. We prefer you not to advertise, misled and corrupt the society. We who advised not to waste money and we are not paid by anyone to advise this.
Getting to higher forum title by spamming loses respect.
:spam:

Rachel008
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Total Likes:2

Post by Rachel008 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:51 pm

I remember first time was quite stressful for me. Fortunately we decided to go for a student care near the school where my kids are studying. Teachers from the student care is professional, caring and very loving. They have a chat group set up for parents so that hubby and I are updated and reminded to sign stuff if needed. It is really a huge load off our mind as all their homework, spelling and 听写 is completed and usually they get full Mark's! Due to that, evenings and weekends we really have a good time together. No need to scold. So in conclusion, finding a good student care centre helps!!! Tuition is also covered during weekdays

Gie2
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Gie2 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:05 pm

Somehow this post has become a little hostile to a certain extent. Parents are forever conscious and worrisome of their child's welfare. Whether it's deliberate that they choose to bombard their kid with tuition or let the child go carefree is still a choice to be made. Understanding that every child is different is crucial to at least know where you can gauge the level of your child's capability. Of course, it's best to let the kid explore their interest themselves.. however, that being said, if you don't expose them to the choices available, how are they to know what is there to choose from? every child can excel in life, be it academically or otherwise. a suggestion/recommendation is just what the post is... a "recommendation/suggestion" per say. Take what applies to you and move on to the rest. Be constructive when you ask for a suggestion and be open about what you will get in return. Let's all have a nice going post without being to harsh on anyone.

Cheers.

Weiwei1979
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Fun way to teach your kid spelling and vocabulary

Post by Weiwei1979 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:28 pm

Hi all parents, I would like to share an new app called Spelling Lion on iPad. This app enable parents to type in the spelling list and let our kids learn their spelling. Because we were having hard time teaching our kids spelling, so we created this game.

https://apps.apple.com/my/app/spellinglion/id1490205400

EyeLevelSembawang
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by EyeLevelSembawang » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:16 am

It's hard to fully understand every parent's motivations, except that they are doing their best to do what's right for their child. Some parents who are cash rich but time poor choose to use money to help their child catch up or get ahead. Sometimes it's very situational. I've taught many children of fellow teachers too because teachers often have a hard time coaching their own kids because we tend to be time poor and easily triggered by our own children.

As a parent, I think that if my dd can only learn from me and my teaching style that is a roadblock for her. Young children can benefit from associating with and learning from other adults who aren't family.

As a teacher, children who enter P1 with classroom readiness are those with experience in structured kindergartens or learning/enrichment centres. Young children especially pick up a lot from firsthand experience so how can children be expected to know how to learn in the classroom unless they have had prior experience in a similar situation?

Hence, knowing the content/language/subject is one thing, but I think what's more important for P1 preparation is classroom readiness. If your child can learn Math or a language while picking up this vital skill, that's a bonus (:

Little Steps
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Little Steps » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:38 pm

I think for a child, it will be easier if the child has been exposed to other children during preschool days or enrichment classes to transit better in school. Structured routine also helps children to adapt better. Teachers also play a part so you can feedback to the form teacher in helping your child to adapt if you are more concerned.

I'm giving enrichment classes at woodlands for both English and Math for primary students at $150 for both subjects for 8 lessons a month. Drop me a msg at 9129 3566 if interested.