Exams...Exams...Exams....It's here again!!

Academic support for Primary 1

Exams...Exams...Exams....It's here again!!

Postby AuntieKiasi » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Ever since changes was made to the system, I have been going bonkers. :x . My little one have to suffer the monthly tests which unfortunately, accounts up to 70% of the final year grade. Crazy right? :x . AND the school saaid it is to relieve the children of stress!!! :stupid: Having those monthly tests, does not help....it is making it all the more worst. Imagine us poor parents, having to study together with the kids on top of our regular work!! I felt the old system where 2CAs & 2SAs was better.

I realized that I was not alone in feeling this way after chatting with the parents of my son's schoolmates.

AuntieKiasi
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sydney » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:38 pm

Whats the name of the school? This is not common across the national school system.

sydney
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Exams...Exams...Exams....It's here again!!

Postby shurley197323 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:22 pm

AuntieKiasi wrote:Ever since changes was made to the system, I have been going bonkers. :x . My little one have to suffer the monthly tests which unfortunately, accounts up to 70% of the final year grade. Crazy right? :x . AND the school saaid it is to relieve the children of stress!!! :stupid: Having those monthly tests, does not help....it is making it all the more worst. Imagine us poor parents, having to study together with the kids on top of our regular work!! I felt the old system where 2CAs & 2SAs was better.

I realized that I was not alone in feeling this way after chatting with the parents of my son's schoolmates.

Hi. I totally agree with you. My DS (P2) started PAL last year. The school
said NO EXAM NO STRESS !!The worst part is almost there are MONTHLY TEST for all subjects. So now I had to pressure him every month not like my P5 girl, only need to pressure twice a year for SA1 & SA2.

shurley197323
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby shurley197323 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:35 pm

Do your school indicated the test date for you ? I 'm not sure why this time the school only indicated that the Test will be conducted on 21-02-11 to 28-02-11 without stating the actual date & subject ? Is this the normal practise for upper primary ?

shurley197323
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby LOLMum » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:44 pm

hm..............................

ds's school said no exams for p1 but received a letter from teachers stating there would be a mini test in nov. all topics from the start of the year to current would be tested. so still exam but just changed it to "mini test". :roll:

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re:

Postby Snow Crystal » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:38 pm

sydney wrote:Whats the name of the school? This is not common across the national school system.

I believe your kids are older ie upper pri or sec sch. Apparently becos Singaporeans complain about exam stress for the lower primary esp P1, so MOE announced previously doing away with exams for p1s and p2s. The schools are rolling out this BUT schools being schools have to gauge the kids so become creative (or kiasu) and give tests and alternative assessments instead :sweat: :nailbite: I heard it's series of mini tests/assessments so you can imagine it's even worse than the CA/SA system. And marks are given in small percentages for each mini test/assessment adding towards a total mark. I pity working parents cos this new no exams (but many tests) structure needs alot of home support/guidance especially since these are very young P1/2 kids.

Snow Crystal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LOLMum » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:56 pm

insider wrote:My son's P1 and P2 mini tests very simple ones.

Maybe 10 questions per test - bite size. Eng on phonics, singular/plural, past / present tense, pronounce, etc. Chinese on HYPY, 笔划/笔顺,连词, etc. Kind of like 'topical tests' (applicable also for Maths).

I don't need to prepare him at all coz I don't even know when the tests were. Only can see results 10/10, 9/10, 8/10 etc and know his mistakes.

All these mini tests with two best spelling scores + show-and-tell score + oral will form his mid and year-end results (and thereby will also determine which class he will be going next year).

Overall, mini tests are no stress for my son and myself so maybe parents don't need to be overly worried (not applicable to children who are attending 'sick' schools).

PS: This P2 year end he does have 'exam', which is a consolidation of all those 'mini tests'.

same here for the tests.

for the first half of the year, i didnt pay attention to the so called tests. didnt prepare or revise with ds. only thing we did together was show and tell and we did a really simple one without script.

for the coming tests, am taking it easy too. didnt tell ds anything but to remind him to check his work and to finish them within the timeframe.

i am definitely more relax this time round with ds unlike my stress when dd was doing hers. :imcool:

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:49 pm

Hi Ladies,
I've been suffering the stress AND torture of the P1 system since daughter started P1...don't know where to start. From Chinese to Math and English...it's plain torture. I don't remember going through this when my son was in P1 then...btw, it was just 4 years ago :yikes:

Now there is Models, more than/less than,prob sums etc etc for Math. For Eng, there is also Synthesis, Comprehension cloze. Spelling for EL and CL take up whole week, leaving no time for anything else.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:53 pm

AuntieKiasi wrote:Ever since changes was made to the system, I have been going bonkers. :x . My little one have to suffer the monthly tests which unfortunately, accounts up to 70% of the final year grade. Crazy right? :x . AND the school said it is to relieve the children of stress!!! :stupid: Having those monthly tests, does not help....it is making it all the more worst. Imagine us poor parents, having to study together with the kids on top of our regular work!! I felt the old system where 2CAs & 2SAs was better.

I agree with you. I want CA1, SA1 and SA2...no more than that PLEASE !!!
I am stressed getting my daughter to prepare for those endless tests. Don't remember myself going through this present madness then. Why in the world is MOE doing this to us ?

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:58 pm

my take is that school should make it clear to parents what are their stand wrt the weightage of exams.
take for instance, last year my boy's school only has 1 exam. i believe many parents/students happily and merrily 'enjoying school' with no worries of SA1 or CAs. come SA2 100% weightage. through this exam, the P2s are streamed. i believe some parents were caught off guard.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Primary 1