How your kid's performance in P1 if attended gd Pre-sch?

Academic support for Primary 1

How your kid's performance in P1 if attended gd Pre-sch?

Postby patlee1990 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:17 pm

Dear Members
Can anyone of you feedback how your kid/kids doing in P1 if they attended pre-school as follows:
1) Pat school
2) Montessori
3) My First School or Normal child care centre
4) Half day in CC or in Kindergartens

I have heard so much about how good /strong or poor academically the pre -school can be. But ultimately are kids really perform better when go to Pri i.e. (e.g. with Montessori they do have their special techniqe in their learning path, half day CC or Kindergarten as they do not learn as much compared to full day CC?
Am really in dilemma - Does that means they go to a better (branded and good curriculum) they excel better in Pri. Or just any ordinary pre-school will do? Anyway all children learn and pick up fast right? I really not sure the investment is it worthwhile.

Pls give me your best advise.

patlee1990
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:01 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby pixiedust » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:29 pm

My ds in P5 next year. He didn't attend the listed pre-school but did attend a 'premium' preschool which includes PRC chinese teachers and Letterland programmes. Cost us S$500/month for half-day.

DH and I always say we should have just sent him to PCF and save the $ for vacation. The amount does adds up with 2-3 years in preschool. He did fairly okay in P1, next few years...same struggles as the rest of the cohort. All the spelling and tingxie he was made to learn, all forgotten ie. only in short term memory.

The only good thing is he has fond memories of his preschool days.
Last edited by pixiedust on Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

pixiedust
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 814
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 7:31 pm
Total Likes: 4


Postby janet88 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:23 pm

My son is in P5 next year too. He didn't attend Pat School House, Montessori, CC or PAP.

Hubby & I didn't really know how to prepare him for P1. However, we did get those EPH K2 assessment books to coach him for English & Maths. He attended group tuition conducted by his K2 Chinese teacher.

Daughter just finished K2 this year...going to P1 next. She attended the same kindy as son. 听写 and Spelling words were very much tougher in Term 3 and daughter struggled. :siao:...compared to the time son was in K2, he didn't have to face all these.

Then we sent her to RC enrichment lessons nearby...the teacher is a principal in the PCF and we saw a proper system of teaching and her worksheets were better than her kindy.

However, she also had fond memories and wants to go back to her kindergarten.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 33770
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 am
Total Likes: 111


Postby sleepy » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:13 am

I don't think there's much correlation between choice of preschool and p1 result.
Mine attended montessori as well as pcf/church kindergartens. My observation - enrichments played a bigger role than preschools

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 9083
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 pm
Total Likes: 34


Postby Vevey » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:44 pm

Pre-sch doesn't matter, as long as the kid is happy & enjoys learning.

Vevey
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 730
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:41 am
Total Likes: 1



Re: How your kid's performance in P1 if attended gd Pre-sch?

Postby Augmum » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:17 pm

patlee1990 wrote:Dear Members
Can anyone of you feedback how your kid/kids doing in P1 if they attended pre-school as follows:
1) Pat school
2) Montessori
3) My First School or Normal child care centre
4) Half day in CC or in Kindergartens

I have heard so much about how good /strong or poor academically the pre -school can be. But ultimately are kids really perform better when go to Pri i.e. (e.g. with Montessori they do have their special techniqe in their learning path, half day CC or Kindergarten as they do not learn as much compared to full day CC?
Am really in dilemma - Does that means they go to a better (branded and good curriculum) they excel better in Pri. Or just any ordinary pre-school will do? Anyway all children learn and pick up fast right? I really not sure the investment is it worthwhile.

Pls give me your best advise.

hi,
sorri, can't provide any advice, as it really depends on individual child, how much in depth the absorption can be.
my gal went to pats preschool,
and i would say that i need'nt worry abt her studies at all from P1 to P2
in fact, i din even coach her any single subjects till P3.........
and she was doing very well throughout .

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 13292
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:02 am
Total Likes: 86


Postby jedamum » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:39 pm

preschool does not matters if you can supplement it with enrichment or coach your child by yourself with regards to preparing for P1.
if you have no time for external enrichment (ie weekends reserved for families), a preschool with good curriculum matters a lot.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 8517
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:58 pm
Total Likes: 20


Postby Augmum » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:45 pm

jedamum wrote:preschool does not matters if you can supplement it with enrichment or coach your child by yourself with regards to preparing for P1.
if you have no time for external enrichment (ie weekends reserved for families), a preschool with good curriculum matters a lot.

that's right, hoepfully able to cater all in ONE, save time ferrying here and there.

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 13292
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:02 am
Total Likes: 86


Postby janet88 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:43 pm

Augmum wrote:
jedamum wrote:preschool does not matters if you can supplement it with enrichment or coach your child by yourself with regards to preparing for P1.
if you have no time for external enrichment (ie weekends reserved for families), a preschool with good curriculum matters a lot.

that's right, hoepfully able to cater all in ONE, save time ferrying here and there.


For preschool, parents can teach themselves...there are many assessment books now which can help. Just get 1-2 titles will do...don't frighten the poor child.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 33770
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 am
Total Likes: 111


Postby Augmum » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:00 am

janet_lee88 wrote:
Augmum wrote:
jedamum wrote:preschool does not matters if you can supplement it with enrichment or coach your child by yourself with regards to preparing for P1.
if you have no time for external enrichment (ie weekends reserved for families), a preschool with good curriculum matters a lot.

that's right, hoepfully able to cater all in ONE, save time ferrying here and there.


For preschool, parents can teach themselves...there are many assessment books now which can help. Just get 1-2 titles will do...don't frighten the poor child.

YES, u're right, there' re many assessment books which are available that we,parents, could just buy and teach them.
But NO, u're wrong, i did not frighten my gal, instead she enjoyed every moments in her preschol. :wink:

i, myself, who was early-childhod trained, understood totally what skills shd a preschooler possess,
but i did not teach her as i had seen all the necessary skills already being imparted to her in her preschool.
besides, looking for good curriculum, there're other activities which parents would wanna their kids to engage in or hands on.....
such as music, speech and drama, cookery etc
if a preschool could provide all these ON TOP of a good curriculum, (that's what i meant by "to cater all in ONE")
wouldn't it save time during weekends to ferry here and there ??....... :D

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 13292
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:02 am
Total Likes: 86


Next

Return to Primary 1