If you have a child in lower primary

Academic support for Primary 1

If you have a child in lower primary

Postby Daniel Sim » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:28 pm

Dear parents,
I just stumbled on to this forum!
My apologies if I seem to intrude.
What I will post from today are just my opinion and nothing more!
Probably i'll find time to try to post some things that may be of use to some of you.
Just disregard if you are not interested.

Here goes.

If you child has just gone to p1 from 2011, you may want to take note of some of the following.
1. P1 and P2 are foundation years for your child, so it is imperative that you pay close attention to your darlings' progress by checking their work and ensure that they are in keeping with the teachers' instructions. Things like formation of letters, drawing lines, etc

2. Don't make your child miserable by using force, thus killing his interest in school. Once he fights you by refusing to go to school, you are in trouble. All children start by loving to go to school. Unless something happens, he is most likely to remain happy going. It's his chance to be with children his own age.

3. Don't take his complaints lightly. If you have to, communicate with his form teacher every opportunity you get. Don't wait until the teacher calls you before you take action.

4. Be interested in what your child is doing thereby encouraging him to want to do better. Reward(praise) for good work or if he makes some form of improvement but don't make promises you can't keep! Don't over indulge otherwise it becomes meaningless.

5 Be in control of your temper when you teach him or you'll get nowhere. You'll only get yourself frustated.

6. If your child gets lost in the lower primary, he'll get lost even further in P4 onwards and he gets discouraged and thinks he is stupid. There is no such thing as a stupid child, he is just slower but once everybody convinces him that he is, he'll believe it himself!

Sorry if I sound long winded but if my rubbish is well accepted, I shall continue to post further comments. :D

Daniel Sim
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: If you have a child in lower primary

Postby janet88 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:59 am

Daniel Sim wrote:Dear parents,
No worries...your advice is valuable and I agree with you.

If you child has just gone to p1 from 2011, you may want to take note of some of the following.
1. P1 and P2 are foundation years for your child, so it is imperative that you pay close attention to your darlings' progress by checking their work and ensure that they are in keeping with the teachers' instructions. Things like formation of letters, drawing lines, etc
Couldn't agree more with you. Don't make the mistake of ignoring the chid at P1/2 thinking that you can build up foundation later...but don't over-do it.

2. Don't make your child miserable by using force, thus killing his interest in school. Once he fights you by refusing to go to school, you are in trouble. All children start by loving to go to school. Unless something happens, he is most likely to remain happy going. It's his chance to be with children his own age.
I talk to my daughter everyday, esp now that she is in P1...to find out what is happening. Encourage the child to speak up and inform the teacher if her classmate has taken her pencil forcefully or bullied her.

3. Don't take his complaints lightly. If you have to, communicate with his form teacher every opportunity you get. Don't wait until the teacher calls you before you take action.

4. Be interested in what your child is doing thereby encouraging him to want to do better. Reward(praise) for good work or if he makes some form of improvement but don't make promises you can't keep! Don't over indulge otherwise it becomes meaningless.

5 Be in control of your temper when you teach him or you'll get nowhere. You'll only get yourself frustated.
Encourage, motivate to get the child going...praise is very effective.

6. If your child gets lost in the lower primary, he'll get lost even further in P4 onwards and he gets discouraged and thinks he is stupid. There is no such thing as a stupid child, he is just slower but once everybody convinces him that he is, he'll believe it himself!

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smallbelly » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:31 pm

:oops:

Good advice! Now I need to rethink my working schedule for my children's future sake!

smallbelly
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby BlurBee » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:49 pm

:thankyou: for the post.

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Postby buds » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:04 pm

Daniel Sim wrote:Sorry if I sound long winded but if my rubbish is well accepted, I shall continue to post further comments. :D

All sharings are welcome here. :wink:

As long as we all get along and agree to disagree. 8)

However, let's get to noe ya better and the best way is to
introduce yourself at the Newbies section. For your easy
access, i've included the link to go right there for ya.
Click this blue link to go there... yes... now! :lol:

> Newbies & Clubs

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LOLMum » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:08 pm

:goodpost:

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby plum-cake » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:35 pm

Thank you for sharing.

plum-cake
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby chanpy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:59 pm

Thanks for the reminder....

chanpy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Yong HL » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:23 pm

Daniel Sim wrote:Dear parents,
What I will post from today are just my opinion and nothing more!
Probably i'll find time to try to post some things that may be of use to some of you.
Just disregard if you are not interested.

Here goes.

Sorry if I sound long winded but if my rubbish is well accepted, I shall continue to post further comments. :D

:goodpost: Very practical tips

Yong HL
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby xsara » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:59 am

Thanks so much for the reminders... I think very often when I'm guiding my daughter, she picks up on my anxiety when she is unable to do something, and ends up being anxious herself :yikes:

Must mentally remind myself to Keep Calm and Cheer Her On! :rahrah:

Thanks again! :lol:

xsara
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Primary 1