How do I teach a P1 kid on multiplication for maths

Academic support for Primary 1

How do I teach a P1 kid on multiplication for maths

Postby Inspiration » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:38 pm

Hi can anyone advice how do I teach my son who is in P1 this year on multiplication for maths & han yu pin yin?

Inspiration
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: How do I teach a P1 kid on multiplication for maths

Postby XYZ1 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:12 pm

Inspiration wrote:Hi can anyone advice how do I teach my son who is in P1 this year on multiplication for maths & han yu pin yin?

For maths...i m also struggling with my P1 DS...and i'm not thinkg even abt multiplication yet...ds is still struggling with his more than and less than concepts....and i've seen some past year P1 exam questions from various schs...the schs tend to make this tricky...math teacher in sch ever told me that kids at this age are "visual"...so we can use things found at home to share the add/subtract/multiply/divide concepts visually...

for hanyu pinyin...ds attended Berries since he was K1...and the sch did a great job in preparing him for hanyu pinyin...i stongly advise u to try Berries out. It is not quite easy for us (layman) to teach HYPY to our kids...and i find that the level is more chim than what we used to learn when i was in pri sch (abt 30 yrs back?)

XYZ1
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby CMF » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:06 pm

Inspiration wrote:Hi can anyone advice how do I teach my son who is in P1 this year on multiplication for maths & han yu pin yin?

You may wish to check out this thread for some tips on teaching multiplication : http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... sc&start=0

CMF
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Yong HL » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:10 pm

XYZ1 wrote:[ds is still struggling with his more than and less than concepts

Hi, you might want to check out this thread. Lots of suggestions & ideas from the lovely KSP forum parents :)http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... hp?t=19179

Yong HL
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby tamarind » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:13 pm

You can try this website :
http://xuele.edumall.sg/xuele/slot/u107/index1.html

Click on 一年级, 一上.

Actually the Chinese teacher in primary 1 spends a lot of time teaching Hanyu Pinyin in the first half of the year, your child should be able to learn in class. All you have to do is practice with them using the website. Then get a P1 Chinese assessment book to practice writing hanyu pinyin will do.

Note that Chinese character recognition is much more important than hanyu pinyin. Even if your child is very good in hanyu pinyin, he will still do badly in Chinese if he does not know how to read many Chinese words. You should focus on teaching him to read as many Chinese story books as possible. Learning hanyu pinyin alone is quite useless, especially after the first half of P1.

For multiplication, just use real objects to teach. In P1, children only need to know that multiplication is repeated addition.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby buds » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:13 pm

Hi! Mebbe you can find some inspiration to teach multiplication from some of my articles here @ buds' blogs :wink:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

How to help kids remember their times table....

Postby kamom » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:39 am

in a fun way without memorising.

esp. 6x, 7x, 8x

kamom
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: How to help kids remember their times table....

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:45 am

kamom wrote:in a fun way without memorising.

esp. 6x, 7x, 8x

There is no way to avoid memorising as that's the best way to have quick recall. But during the learning process, there can be ways to help the facts stick. I can't remember how my husband helped my daughter when she was having a lot of problems learning the multiplication tables. I'll ask him (and her) and post again later.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: How to help kids remember their times table....

Postby buds » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:48 am

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Blue Pearl » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:22 am

Tks for the links

Blue Pearl
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Primary 1