from Montessori pre-school to Primary school, any1"

Academic support for Primary 1

from Montessori pre-school to Primary school, any1"

Postby pinkapple » Wed May 11, 2011 3:04 pm

I want to send my kid to a Montessori kindy but am worry about transition into primary school as the kindy practises one-to-one teaching.

wonder if (true) Montessori kids will have a hard time adapting to Primary school big class of 30 students.

Any parents whose kid(s) went to a Montessori pre-sch can share on this?

pinkapple
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: from Montessori pre-school to Primary school, any1"

Postby Suz855 » Wed May 11, 2011 3:11 pm

My girl already in P4, she went throu 3 years of Montessori ... she has no problem adapting to the school system ... we had no regret as she picked up the phonics and hanyu ping ying then, no sweat in spellings and ting xie & develop great reading habit ..... the only short coming is that she is not really organise and misplace her stuff easily .... kekeke

Suz855
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby pinkapple » Wed May 11, 2011 3:14 pm

Suz855 wrote: ..... the only short coming is that she is not really organise and misplace her stuff easily .... kekeke

this has nothing to do with Montessori or not right?

pinkapple
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Suz855 » Thu May 12, 2011 12:24 am

In a Montessori environment, everything has its place and this help the kids to develop order and be organise from a young age ... anyway, this is the only short coming that we have not benefit from her 3 years of Montessori education ...

Btw, during her kindergarden years, her class only have 6 or 7 kids learning together, was worried too that what would happen when she joined in a class of 30 at P1 .... but she adapted well and till now, she will approach her teachers when she need help and participate actively too in class (We were invited to open house in her school and get to observe them during their lesson time) ... cheers ...
:smile:

Suz855
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby tankee » Thu May 12, 2011 9:33 am

pinkapple wrote:
Suz855 wrote: ..... the only short coming is that she is not really organise and misplace her stuff easily .... kekeke

this has nothing to do with Montessori or not right?

same thoughts

tankee
Site Admin

Postby tankee » Thu May 12, 2011 9:39 am

Suz855 wrote:In a Montessori environment, everything has its place and this help the kids to develop order and be organise from a young age ... anyway, this is the only short coming that we have not benefit from her 3 years of Montessori education ...

Btw, during her kindergarden years, her class only have 6 or 7 kids learning together, was worried too that what would happen when she joined in a class of 30 at P1 .... but she adapted well and till now, she will approach her teachers when she need help and participate actively too in class (We were invited to open house in her school and get to observe them during their lesson time) ... cheers ...
:smile:

IMO, Montessori and now P1 & P2 in TNS are similar. There are class level teaching and group level activities. I believe most primary schools practise organising the students in a class in 5-6 groups. The main differences are teacher to student ratio, much lesser 1-to-1 coaching.

DS has benefited in the phonics and mathematics foundation taught during his pre-school days.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby pinkapple » Thu May 12, 2011 11:46 am

wah. si mi si TNS??

pinkapple
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby tankee » Thu May 12, 2011 12:16 pm

pinkapple wrote:wah. si mi si TNS??

Tao Nan School

tankee
Site Admin

Postby rosemummy » Thu May 12, 2011 6:05 pm

My daughter, now 17, spent 4 years in a Montessori school. She is now in her second year in a US liberal arts college. While she managed to do reasonably well in primary and secondary school, her performance is below expectation. She has a tendency to do only what she enjoy and is not too bothered about exams or homework. In a Montessori school, she gets to choose what she want to learn. But she is now thriving in a liberal arts environment where she has a lot of freedom in the choice of subjects. She has done courses ranging from languages to psychology and philosophy as well as economics, accounting and law, and enjoying it. As a 2 year old, she was well exposed to a wide range of knowledge in a Montessori environment, from astronomy to botany and was able to read independently before she turned 3.

There are pros and cons in every system. I like the Montessori system for the way a child is taught to explore and learn on their own. Unfortunately, there's a disconnect with our mainstream schools. The weakness, as I see it, is that the child tends to be self-centred. Quite inevitable in a child-centred style of education.

When my daughter started P1, you can probably count the number of Montessori kids in the entire cohort in a Bukit Timah school with your fingers. You probably won't find any of them in a neighbourhood school.But I think things have changed now and there are many Montessori kids these days. The schools have to, and are, changing to cater to them. 1 example is the reduction in class size. It used to be 40 even at P1.

rosemummy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby LOLMum » Thu May 12, 2011 6:18 pm

dont think there should be any problem unless your child is one of those timid, shy types.

if she is, better do something to boost up her confidence and overcome her shyness now. dont do nothing and just throw her to the wolf pack in pri school.

eg. let her order her own meals in MacD, restaurants. in supermarket, get her to ask cashier, sales assistants for help. prompt her to say "hello", "thank you", "excuse me" to neighbours, security guards etc.

i have seen ds's classmates who are shy, timid and not enjoying pri 1 now.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary 1