Do we need to use modelling to solve all math problem sums?

Academic support for Primary 1

Do we need to use modelling to solve all math problem sums?

Postby Maple leaf » Tue May 24, 2011 8:16 am

Hi , parents,

My first child just attended P1 this year. I was wondering weather our kifd will be penalised if he/she does not draw a model to solve problem sums? I do not know how to solve using models, so not able to teach.

My child is also like me ,can solve without drawing. If it is compulsory. then I will have to consider a search for tuition centre. :smile:

Maple leaf
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Do we need to use modelling to solve all math problem su

Postby sall » Tue May 24, 2011 3:07 pm

At higher levels, from P4, problems sums get more difficult. Students must draw models to solve the solution. Actually, model-drawing helps the students to see the solution. It is like putting the information given into a picture.
Some questions are quite easy, so can solve using other methods. It's important to train students to start with model-drawing so they are familiar and can do so at higher levels.
I have students who refused to draw model in lower primary and when I taught them in P4, they had so much problems because they can't even draw the most basic models.

sall
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lizawa » Wed May 25, 2011 9:52 am

It's not a "MUST" but it helps the child to visualize the problems and with the right technique and solve them easily. Most problems will be solved easily with modelling method at P3 and P4 levels. Come P5 and P6, the students are exposed to other ways of solving the same question. Depending on how comfortable the student is with each type of method, he can choose to use whatever he likes. You will not be penalized if you do not use "modelling method" in answering your question. The important thing is, the marker must be able to see your lines of thoughts in solving the problem, then marks can be awarded.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sall » Wed May 25, 2011 1:07 pm

Students are not penalised for using other methods, like Algebra. But Algebra is only taught in P6 and only very basic Algebra is taught. Most of the time, the problems are solved using models. If students draw the correct model, it is very easy for them to get the answer. I feel that, for most of the questions, model is the fastest way to solve the problem.

sall
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed May 25, 2011 1:14 pm

There are many cases where using algebra may not even be possible while using a model can uncover the answer almost immediately. The student must learn to identify which method to use under examination conditions.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Happy Mama » Wed May 25, 2011 2:47 pm

sall wrote:At higher levels, from P4, problems sums get more difficult. Students must draw models to solve the solution. Actually, model-drawing helps the students to see the solution. It is like putting the information given into a picture.

Totally agree... but at times, drawing out the model itself can be a challenge. :scratchhead: Certain questions are very tough and it takes us parents a while (when coaching kids) to think how to draw the model compared to using our auto method of using Algebra.

Happy Mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sall » Wed May 25, 2011 6:38 pm

Actually, psle maths is not so daunting. After doing lots of problem sums, the students should be able to identity what type of model for what type of qn. Just stay calm, break the long qn into parts, put down the information into the model, draw a tidy model so it's easier to see the solution. For some students, their models are so untidy that they start making careless mistakes.

sall
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Maple leaf » Thu May 26, 2011 12:34 pm

Hi Sall, lizawa and chiefkiasu,

Thank you very much for the reply. Now I have a better picture of what's goinf on. At my schooling tjme, we solved problems without drawing models;so this concept is quite new to me. DH was very sure that it contribute to points.I am a bit worried cos' DS can solve problems(lower prinary) without models. In fact, he made mistakes when he fill in the numbers, as he is more confuse with "pictures" He is currently doing well in Maths.

After reading all of your replies; Guess I have to read up the techniques so that I can guide him or fimd some help for him.
:thankyou:
for all your replies. I really appreciate yr help. :smile: Will take note of your useful tips.

Maple leaf
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby CoffeeCat » Thu May 26, 2011 1:27 pm

Usually questions for p1 & p2 are too simple, 1-2 steps and so many children, usually the better ones will question the need to draw models.

1 of the reason why for many type of psle questions it is better to use other methods (like ratio , branching or units or whatever they are called) is because the numbers used make drawing a model very cumbersome. However those methods are often derived based on an understanding of using the model to solve. They are not different methods, merely different ways of doing the same question based on same underlying principles.

If i recall correctly, when I was in p6, when I see a question I just draw a model. My view is that drawing a model is simply a way to consolidate all the data and make sense of the problem, see relationships /critical properties that allow me to solve the question via any other method.

CoffeeCat
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby bebebub » Thu May 26, 2011 2:03 pm

Many assessment books comes with solutions, complete with models. That was how I learn to teach my dd when she was in P1 n P2. she also finds model drawing troublesome, and often bargain her way out of drawing the models. Now at P3, I allow her to solve the straight forward problem sums without the models, but she will attempt to draw models for those that she faces difficulty. I always like that look on her face when she realize the solution after drawing the model :lol:

If your child is doing fine in maths, no need to search for tuition centre just for that. It is rather easy for parents to pick up model drawing by looking at the examples (at least for lower primary), n teach accordingly. There is also a Model Drawing Guide published by MOE, available in Popular. I think it's for P1 to P6. HTH.

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary 1