P1 Chinese - General Discussion

Academic support for Primary 1

P1 Chinese - General Discussion

Postby lurline » Tue May 19, 2009 12:26 am

Original Title: Q&A - P1 Chinese

My boy brought his chinese paper 2 home this evening. His score is 29/70.

I know his chinese is not good but was shocked to see this results. Heo told me that it is normal and most of his classmates failed their chinese papers.

How abt yr kids? How can I improve his grades ? He is having a private tuition once a week started 2 mths ago.

lurline
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Guest » Tue May 19, 2009 12:47 am

Hmm...in our non-SAP school, quite a number scored full marks becos it is 80% in HYPY which most children find it easier.

Can you establish the reason for his marks? i.e. is he weak in HYPY or the paper is difficult since many can fail?

Is he also showing no interest in Chinese?

Postby lurline » Tue May 19, 2009 12:53 am

i guess it's no interest. He always complained that it's boring and all his friends do not like chinese too.

lurline
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby acforfamily » Tue May 19, 2009 8:57 am

lurline wrote:i guess it's no interest. He always complained that it's boring and all his friends do not like chinese too.

if your child is the outgoing type, maybe could try those chinese enrichment classes that do speech and drama to cultivate his interest. In eduplus, they have classes under "story island" banner which let the children present the stories that they have read. I think it will make it interesting for the child as I have seen the P1s perform and they all seem to love it. Even the quiet ones will "open up" in the end.

acforfamily
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: P1- Chinese

Postby jedamum » Tue May 19, 2009 9:14 am

hi lurline,
if your boy has no interest, giving him private tuition may worsen the situation. like what others suggest, try enrichment centres instead. they have a more fun way of learning chinese. and with more friends around to learn at the same time, it is more fun.

if his HYPY is one of the weak areas, Berries is having a 5 days HYPY booster course this June holidays. you may want to check that out. as it's only a short course, you can also use this opportunity to see if Berries can jumpstart your boy's interest in chinese.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Re: P1- Chinese

Postby Guest » Tue May 19, 2009 9:58 am

jedamum wrote:hi lurline,
if your boy has no interest, giving him private tuition may worsen the situation. like what others suggest, try enrichment centres instead. they have a more fun way of learning chinese. and with more friends around to learn at the same time, it is more fun.

if his HYPY is one of the weak areas, Berries is having a 5 days HYPY booster course this June holidays. you may want to check that out. as it's only a short course, you can also use this opportunity to see if Berries can jumpstart your boy's interest in chinese.

Yes Berries so far has been able to help generate interest in Chinese for kids who do not like Chinese.

Postby MMM » Tue May 19, 2009 10:11 am

Hi,

Not sure if it applies for all schools. But in my kids' school (SAP), from term 3 onwards, they will start to focus on chinese characters rather than hypy. So though it's good to build your son's weakness in hypy, it's important to also focus on the characters.

It appears that enrichment centres rather than 1-1 is preferred. But you need to find one that teaches in a fun way so he enjoys it. I feel that starting from P1, the course starts to get more academic. They still have fun in the class but definitely lesser as compared to pre-schools level. So try to look for a school that can meet your need. 1-1 is probably too serious for him and probably they focuses on work only??? So it can get boring.

Another issue that you've to seriously address if your son's impression of chinese. If he has a low view of the language, then there need to be a mindset change. Eg. I used to study in a convent sec and 80% of my friends (particularly those who also came from the convent pri school) find chinese an uncool subject. So they either manage a pass or flop the subject. The environment is also another issue as quite a no. are eurasians and probably don't speak the language at home.

Also, if there is a meet the parents session, I think it's good to feedback to the teachers. Maybe they can explore ways to make it more interesting or effective. Eg.I had a session with my P1's chinese teacher yesterday and was relating to her how my son struggled with chinese character in end K2. He just couldn't recognise characters even simple ones. He just do not have interest in the language though he speaks it.....I think the school did a good job in getting him interested in the language and now he remembers those that are taught. Also, as his chinese writing sucks, I told the teacher that I bought some character book which I will make him practise during hols. But his teacher cautions me againt making him practise writing too much as it might kill his interest and he end up hating chinese. Key thing is the interest, speaking the language and recognising characters.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby BlueBells » Tue May 19, 2009 1:51 pm

My P1 girl take higher chinese (her school only offered this), and her SA1 is 80% HYPY, 20% Chinese characters. She ws struggling a little with her HYPY because she can't get the chinese phonetics of it and the tonation of it right. Coaching was tough.

In the end, I told her to coach her Daddy in HYPY because Daddy is worse in it. She had fun being a teacher to Daddy, teaching him and giving him spelling in HYPY. After that, she simply picks it up. She took pride in being able to mark Daddy's spelling and teach him. She simply teaches my hubby the exact same way her teacher taught her in school, so it kind of reinforces what she learnt in school and she was revising her own work without realizing it.

The best part of all this is - she had fun, she learnt, and I don't have to :stupid: while coaching. SA 1 Result? 96/100 :)

BlueBells
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue May 19, 2009 2:46 pm

BlueBells wrote:... In the end, I told her to coach her Daddy in HYPY because Daddy is worse in it. She had fun being a teacher to Daddy, teaching him and giving him spelling in HYPY...

An excellent approach. You only really learn something when you have to teach it. It's a true-and-tried principle. I use the same thing on my daughter when it comes to learning things like Yuquan's idioms and San Zijing. She gets to play teacher and say it first and the whole family has to follow what she says. But because she is so competitive, she now refuses to let us teach her new phrases to say :stupid: Needs a bit of fine-tuning :)

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby lurline » Tue May 19, 2009 3:25 pm

yes, i agree that 1-1 tuition is quite boring for him. Will change to berries or molin to see if he will improves.

How to tell he tutor that I am stopping tuition tactfully? She is so nice, I feel so bad.

lurline
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Primary 1