Q&A - P1 Tamil

Academic support for Primary 1

Q&A - P1 Tamil

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:52 pm

Moderator's Note: Please use this thread to ask for help on specific questions. Please refrain from out of topic chatter in this thread to make it easier for the community to find the answers they need.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Re: Q&A - P1 Tamil

Postby Blue Pearl » Mon May 20, 2013 3:10 pm

can any parents share with me what will kids be tested in Primary 1

Blue Pearl
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby PreciousLife » Mon May 20, 2013 6:10 pm

Blue Pearl wrote:can any parents share with me what will kids be tested in Primary 1

Dear Blue Pearl,

There is no formal exam for P1 Tamil. Instead, there is holistic assessment. Pupils will be given a variety of tasks be it written, spoken or even performed. And they will be assessed based on their performance for the given task.

Some examples are singing, talking abt particular topics, spelling, listening comprehension, writing, ability to read given words. Singing, talking on given topic are performed in the front of the class. Ability to read words is done 1-1 with the teacher. There is a rubric which the teacher uses to assess the pupil. In my child's sch, it is done with stars ranging from 1 star to 4 stars. Bite-sized tasks given every now & then but pupils are given time to prepare certain tasks like singing & presenting on a topic.

It's quite interesting as it gets the entire family involved esp in the singing & topic presentation. Using stars is also not disencouraging; instead it motivates pupils to aim for 4 stars.

I hope this is useful to you. :)

PreciousLife
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Blue Pearl » Tue May 21, 2013 9:50 am

Many thanks PreciousLife for your sharing. I am quite scared for my girl because as a working mother, i put her in a childcare. Her tamil is not good. She can't read well or write well.She understands but not able to reply well. I would say below average. I cannot put her into any kindergarten because nobody to pick her up after kindergarten and even she wants to go to childcare, the timining is not right. Next year she is Primary 1. Not sure how to coach her.

Do u have any ideas to share with me.

Many thanks.

Blue Pearl
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby PreciousLife » Tue May 21, 2013 6:32 pm

Blue Pearl wrote:Many thanks PreciousLife for your sharing. I am quite scared for my girl because as a working mother, i put her in a childcare. Her tamil is not good. She can't read well or write well.She understands but not able to reply well. I would say below average. I cannot put her into any kindergarten because nobody to pick her up after kindergarten and even she wants to go to childcare, the timining is not right. Next year she is Primary 1. Not sure how to coach her.

Do u have any ideas to share with me.

Many thanks.

My child took chinese in preschool. Was sending him to grp tuition for abt a year and a half but stopped as he wasn't learning anything except to write out the tamil letters. Was just a waste of time & money. Then i tried coaching him at home whenever i could; he enjoyed it more. I sang to him nursery tamil rhymes, read him short tamil stories and we took an effort to speak more of the language at home. Then we realised learning starts at home and parents are the best teachers. I also bought tamil alphabetical chart and pasted it on the wall where he could see.

This yr, we were very worried as well for his P1 tamil but luckily the teacher was understanding and started slowly without affecting his confidence or interest in tamil. Exposure to tamil songs, music really helps alot. He started singing songs we were interested in. Then i started showing his songs on youtube and thanx to this medium he won 2nd prize in his sch tamil singing competition and watching it continues till today. I exposed him to old mgr songs, barathiyaar songs and nursery songs from india. Don't worry, your child will slowly pick up the language; don't make it seem as a sch subject; let your child realise how beautiful our language is. Btw, we don't watch tamil movies with him. :) Once our children gets interested in listening and singing the language, i believe half the battle is won.

All the best wishes to you. Don't despair & don't give up.

PreciousLife
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Blue Pearl » Wed May 22, 2013 9:45 am

Thks Precious Life. Yeah, that is what i am doing. I watched with her tamil songs and ask her to sing.

She was actually in classical singing class but unfortunately, as other children dropped off, charges for 1 child is very expensive and with no choice i stopped the class. She enjoys it as the tutor come to house to teach but was sad that i need to stop. Classes at SIFA and other centres does not work well for her as it clashes with her other classes as they have fixed time on weekends.

I promised her i would enrol her again when her schedule is less hectic, that way she can enjoy studies and play more.

As for now, i just read tamil books and hope that she would get a good understanding teacher next year.

Hope for the best.

Blue Pearl
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Blue Pearl » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:12 pm

Can anyone share a good tamil tutor for pri 1 pls. tks

Blue Pearl
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby GirlT07 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:38 am

Hello there, my girl is also p1 next year and Tamil language.

Correct me if I'm wrong, in p1 they will be starting in basics for mother tongue right? Like alphabets first?

At home, I bought the poster with all Tamil letters and made her read and write letters. Read small Tamil stories with her.

GirlT07
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Blue Pearl » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:16 am

I m nt sure. It depends on school n teacchers i hear different stories. I heatd they mus learn to wrie n red before i dun think tey start w alphabets even english is nt way. Tat is y i m lkg a td tutor.

Blue Pearl
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby GirlT07 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:43 am

Blue Pearl wrote:I m nt sure. It depends on school n teacchers i hear different stories. I heatd they mus learn to wrie n red before i dun think tey start w alphabets even english is nt way. Tat is y i m lkg a td tutor.

Yes I heard they go straight to small words which is also not bad.

GirlT07
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Primary 1