Help Needed on my Pri 1 daughter

Academic support for Primary 1

Help Needed on my Pri 1 daughter

Postby shazamnick » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:18 pm

Help!!!!

After less than a month at Aitong, the teacher of my Pri1's daughter talks to my wife that :
- Her spelling(both english & hanyu) tests scores "zero"
- Not paying attention during class.

My daughter cried to me that she don't like the new school and wants to go back to her previous K2's school. After reading frantically through this forum, i picked up words like "mindchamps", 'kumon", "phonics", "Hua Language Centre", etc.

I'm totally lost as to how I can help my daughter 'recover' and keep up with the rest of her friends. I was thinking along the following options:
- 1-to-1 home tutor to coach her all subjects(All-in-one solution?)
- Sign her up for Kumon & hanyu language schools(suicide option?)
- home parent's coaching( least effective option?)

Your kind comments/recommendations is deeply appreciated.

P.S. Mindchamp rejected to accept her before.

panic dad
:<

shazamnick
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: All About Preparing For Primary One

Postby laughingcat » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:23 pm

Hi shazamnick,

So sorry to hear your gal's plight.

My suggestion is that you tackle on her emotion about going to school first.

Concurrently, you can work out something for her academic. It is already stressful for her on the acceptance of the new environment, so my opinion is concentrate on her emotion first.

As for spelling, i always believe that learning phonics is the way to it. It is not too late. Some programme within 1 month will be able to do blending given your DD age.

For word recognition and repetition, kumon is a much better option.

Sorry i can't say for hanyu pingyin because i did not teach my boys (yet). Maybe will never be.

I don't believe in tuition at such a young age. Personally it will only stress her further and may dampen her stamina in a long run.

May i know why kumon is a suicide option in your comments?

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby g2m6 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:21 pm

perhaps u can make an appt to meet with your daughter's teachers, senior teachers, level head, principal etc and seek their professional advice on what is the best course of action to take... i am sure some if not all of them would have encountered situations like yr daughter's case before. the last thing you want to do at this point is to panic and make your daughter feel even worse than she already is...

i think for a start you will have to work closely with your daughter's school ... at this point in time i think u would not want to stress yr daughter by signing her up for even more classes, tuiton sessions etc otherwise she will just have more and more negative feelings about primary school and when that happens it may be a challenge just to get her to attend school daily

i am sure yr daughter's school and its staff are the people who are in the best position to help you since they are experienced and must have experienced many similar cases before

all the best

g2m6
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby shazamnick » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:00 am

laughingcat wrote:Hi shazamnick,

So sorry to hear your gal's plight.

My suggestion is that you tackle on her emotion about going to school first.

Concurrently, you can work out something for her academic. It is already stressful for her on the acceptance of the new environment, so my opinion is concentrate on her emotion first.

As for spelling, i always believe that learning phonics is the way to it. It is not too late. Some programme within 1 month will be able to do blending given your DD age.

For word recognition and repetition, kumon is a much better option.

Sorry i can't say for hanyu pingyin because i did not teach my boys (yet). Maybe will never be.

I don't believe in tuition at such a young age. Personally it will only stress her further and may dampen her stamina in a long run.

May i know why kumon is a suicide option in your comments?

Which schools will you recommend in learning phonics? "What do you think of schools like "Icanread" The idea of sending her to both kumon and phonic schools concurrently will certainly add to her stress, that is why I stated as suicide option.

tks

shazamnick
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby shazamnick » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:01 am

g2m6 wrote:perhaps u can make an appt to meet with your daughter's teachers, senior teachers, level head, principal etc and seek their professional advice on what is the best course of action to take... i am sure some if not all of them would have encountered situations like yr daughter's case before. the last thing you want to do at this point is to panic and make your daughter feel even worse than she already is...

i think for a start you will have to work closely with your daughter's school ... at this point in time i think u would not want to stress yr daughter by signing her up for even more classes, tuiton sessions etc otherwise she will just have more and more negative feelings about primary school and when that happens it may be a challenge just to get her to attend school daily

i am sure yr daughter's school and its staff are the people who are in the best position to help you since they are experienced and must have experienced many similar cases before

all the best

True enough, will take your advice and discuss with the teacher for better viable option. :heresmyfish:

shazamnick
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Help Needed on my Pri 1 daughter

Postby tankee » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:15 am

shazamnick wrote:...Her spelling(both english & hanyu) tests scores "zero"...

:? don't you or your spouse do revision with your DD, especially practise the spellings?

tankee
Site Admin

Postby Funz » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:40 am

Did your DD's kindy teacher highlight any issues with regards to her academics and attention span? Did she have any spelling or tingxie when she was in Kindy?

If throughout her preschool years, she has not exhibited any major issues in her learning, this could be just adjustment issues. Work with the teachers and the school counsellor to help with her transition.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby DedicatedDad » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:56 am

If she studied in kindergarten then she used to it. How is she usually in her k2?
I think u can send her I can read. Its once a week and no homework.But it's take time depends ur girl's standard. I mean if she already know the consonants sound then she can pick up faster. Meantime she just memorize the words. Write a word ten times then spell out ten times. Then go to second word. My son studied I can read. But for spelling he always memorize the word. He never use phonics. Phonics help to read. So don't get panic . She need some time to lean. Don't send to kumon. They will give more homework.everyday their homework make her more stres and u cannot teach anything.
Please talk to her. Analyze. She used to has a small group. How is she usually? Socially? Best way everyday u check her homework and help her to do. Before sleep tell a story, she can feel safe. Talk to her. Sometimes they can't tell u.explain her she will get new friends.it will be more fun. If she likes any particular CCA then tell her she can take and enjoy with her friends.
My dd in nursery gave me big trouble.cos she never used to in a small group and always with brother. First time without bro and in a new I
Environment . T also didn't has patient . Then I encouraged with her dance . She likes dance. So I told her ur school has dance. I tried to find the problem and thought how to solve the problem . That time T didn't give me any clues or ideas, though they are proffesionals. I let her to play with her classmates in the playground after school. She refused to play in the playground. I just patiently wait there with her for two months.Then she started to play but not with friend she play herself at the same time her class mates also played .after two months she started to play with her friends .
That time T didn't find the root of the problem. And she made worse. She told me to tell my dd something like she didn't do at school. First few days I rinsed her . I read in web. Cannot do like that it makes worse. After that T said anything I just say ok but i didn't remind anything. I just help her to build her confidence and in her studies.
So believe in urself

DedicatedDad
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Always21 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:01 am

I remember when my boy was P1, for both chinese and english spelling, I gave him 2 per day. Kept adding new word each day. The last day before spelling will be revision. It works for him.

You can try. Good Luck.

Always21
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby DedicatedDad » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:09 am

U can do it. Importantly, u don't get panic, be patient. Explain her kindergarten small school. Primary school is big school .
Kindergarten has nursery, k1 and k2 only. This school from P1 to P6. A
Tell her she big girl already . "Wow u r so big girl now u r studying P1. Wow wearing uniform and school shools."
Everyday night asked her what happend in the school. Take this holiday as better oppotunity and visit any place like zoo with family. For me, I just concentrate in her social, I spend more time with outing.once they have the confidence the will pick up the studies.
Don't remind her anything it's makes worse.
All the best.

DedicatedDad
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Primary 1