Difficulty in Chinese

Academic support for Primary 1

Difficulty in Chinese

Postby Gabby » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:45 pm

My son is in K2 now. I have been trying to build his foundation in English, Maths and Chinese when he was in Nursery. He has a big big problem recognizing Chinese characters. I can teach and teach and the next day, he can't recognize any. I have also put him in enrichment centres like speech and drama and Berries. He still cant recognise and retain the Zchinese characters he has learnt. I m feeling increasingly frustrated and stressed because he will be starting P1 next year.

Anyone know what or whom I can turn to for help?

Gabby
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Difficulty in Chinese

Postby laughingcat » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:38 pm

May i know how you teach your DS chinese? Using only berries material? Can't help you much unless you can explain explicitly your teaching method.

Or alternatively you can refer to this link. http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... =24&t=3878

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:45 pm

Gabby wrote:My son is in K2 now. I have been trying to build his foundation in English, Maths and Chinese when he was in Nursery. He has a big big problem recognizing Chinese characters. I can teach and teach and the next day, he can't recognize any. I have also put him in enrichment centres like speech and drama and Berries. He still cant recognise and retain the Zchinese characters he has learnt. I m feeling increasingly frustrated and stressed because he will be starting P1 next year.

Hi, there is a fun way to introduce to him how Chinese characters are formed. Perhaps after showing him this video clip, you can whet his appetite in learning to remember the characters. Of course not all Chinese characters are formed from pictures so clearly but if this idea can make him love Chinese better, it will help him to learn from here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le5keBiZa9s

Actually I really love the Chinese language because of this.

Postby Picolo » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:38 am

Gabby wrote:My son is in K2 now. I have been trying to build his foundation in English, Maths and Chinese when he was in Nursery. He has a big big problem recognizing Chinese characters. I can teach and teach and the next day, he can't recognize any. I have also put him in enrichment centres like speech and drama and Berries. He still cant recognise and retain the Zchinese characters he has learnt. I m feeling increasingly frustrated and stressed because he will be starting P1 next year.

My ds2 has the same problem. He is in P4 now. He did well at P1 & P2 Chinese level as it was still relatively easy to score as questions were predictable. But in P3, his Chinese score dropped to Band 3 (more than 20 marks' drop) level while the other subjects still maintained at Band 1 standard. This sharp fall is worrisome as the standard will only go much higher at upper primary level.

I suspect your son has the same problem as mine who has pictorial memory issue. My ds2 attended Berries at K1 & K2 but it was a waste of time as he couldn't remember any of the new words learnt, despite repetition and revision. Hence I pulled him out from Berries at end of K2. My suggestion to you is you can teach your son radicals and how they can combine with the various possible parts to form new Chinese characters first. I believe if he has a strong foundation in this, he will be able to learn faster. Such kids need the linking method to learn faster. It is sometimes frustrating to see the improvements only gradually, but with some trial and error, you should be able to guide your child effectively. Another thing I've found is, for such children, 1-1 guidance is necessary. So, please be patient and be the learning companion with you son. I find pleasure in encouraging my ds2 in his Chinese work, and the CL teachers in school are very supportive in his learning journey despite the fact that his Chinese is way below average and his handwriting is atrocious. Although he is bad at Chinese, he doesn't hate it and he never gives up. Perhaps it's a way for him to learn to be resilient.

Please refer to one of my old post for more info:
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... &start=180

Hope it helps.

Picolo
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Gabby » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:43 am

Thank you so much. Will show him the link. My son has a very short attention and I just want to make sure I find other means to help him retain the words.

ksi wrote:

Hi, there is a fun way to introduce to him how Chinese characters are formed. Perhaps after showing him this video clip, you can whet his appetite in learning to remember the characters. Of course not all Chinese characters are formed from pictures so clearly but if this idea can make him love Chinese better, it will help him to learn from here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le5keBiZa9s

Actually I really love the Chinese language because of this.

Gabby
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Gabby » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:49 am

Thank you for the words. I have to sometimes remind myself that it is not about grades and I would be very happy if he improves. True fact is I am worried sick about his snail's progress. I also wonder if I have a part to play because I spent more time on my elder one. I am also going to pull him out and spend more time with him one to one. Thanks so much for your advice.

Picolo wrote:

My ds2 has the same problem. He is in P4 now. He did well at P1 & P2 Chinese level as it was still relatively easy to score as questions were predictable. But in P3, his Chinese score dropped to Band 3 (more than 20 marks' drop) level while the other subjects still maintained at Band 1 standard. This sharp fall is worrisome as the standard will only go much higher at upper primary level.

I suspect your son has the same problem as mine who has pictorial memory issue. My ds2 attended Berries at K1 & K2 but it was a waste of time as he couldn't remember any of the new words learnt, despite repetition and revision. Hence I pulled him out from Berries at end of K2. My suggestion to you is you can teach your son radicals and how they can combine with the various possible parts to form new Chinese characters first. I believe if he has a strong foundation in this, he will be able to learn faster. Such kids need the linking method to learn faster. It is sometimes frustrating to see the improvements only gradually, but with some trial and error, you should be able to guide your child effectively. Another thing I've found is, for such children, 1-1 guidance is necessary. So, please be patient and be the learning companion with you son. I find pleasure in encouraging my ds2 in his Chinese work, and the CL teachers in school are very supportive in his learning journey despite the fact that his Chinese is way below average and his handwriting is atrocious. Although he is bad at Chinese, he doesn't hate it and he never gives up. Perhaps it's a way for him to learn to be resilient.

Please refer to one of my old post for more info:

Hope it helps.

Gabby
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jedamum » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:01 am

Picolo wrote:Please refer to one of my old post for more info:

Hope it helps.

hi Picolo,
i briefly read what you written in the above thread regarding:
Picolo wrote:august24,

My ds2 also has no problems with 听写, and getting 100 or close to it is not a problem if he is motivated to learn it before the test. However, he forgets the newly words very quickly too. He relies heavily on me to 'tell him stories' to help him remember the strokes, or break the Chinese character apart. The more dramatic/silly the story, the better he remembers. Eg. for a recently learnt word, 傻 (stupid),I would tell him a story like: a person (一个人)is silly, that's why the radical is 人字旁, and because he is a 白痴 (dumb), he always mistake the horizontal stroke in 白as x. he also has a moustache, which explains the 2 strokes 八 under ‘白". As he keeps making silly mistakes, hence the word 又 (meaning again) at the bottom. But as the poor fella is 傻, even his 又 has an additional stroke. At the end of the story, the character 傻 is formed. The word was taught to him last week but he can still remember it effortlessly today.

In another word 猴,ds2 keeps forgetting the 人字 in the middle, so I remind him that although the monkey is an animal, he thinks he is a 人. After the explanation, ds2 forms a mental picture of the word and he has no problems remembering how to write the word now.

my P4 boy seems to have the same problem. since k1, i had to repeatedly revise certain words with him in the berries readers. he can manage tingxie too, but forget the words the next day. for tingxie revision for exams purpose, the same word that i repeated (used in different vocab words) some 5-10 words down the list, he can get it wrong, or suddenly forget how to write. very stressful as he can do corrections (5x) and yet the next day still couldn't write.
realised that i used pictorial form to help ds1 with word retention too. :sweat:

he is still relatively ok with his Chinese grades as we focuses on reading, vocab and sentence structure. told him that since his weakness is in tingxie, we have to give/take and let go of the marks in that section for paper 2 (although sometimes very heartache that he can get wrong for simple words; considering compre/cloze section is more difficult); and for paper 1, there is so much the teacher can deduct for wrong words, so we focus on storyline and words usage and let go on how to write certain words that he couldn't retain.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby MrsSeah » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:19 am

My son also have difficulty in chinese. He could remember all the tingxie and words. He has no problem when you break out the word for him to read. But when construct the chinese sentences, all his broken chinese come out. :( He could put 我们看戏今天。 He is P3 now and I just put him in Berries in January. :( Hope he could improve.

My P5 daughter has no problem in chinese before. She could get band 1 without any tuition all this while.

MrsSeah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Champion » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:28 am

My DD2 is in P1 now and she is weak with Chinese Language :sad: Now that they are learning 汉语拼音, it makes the learning route more challenging :sweat:

She is having her 汉语拼音 听写 today - a total of 10 words! :sweat: :sweat: She literally has to learn the wording by memorising, eg:
qi(2) mu(4) ma(3) 骑木马...1st learn the English lettering then the 声调 - she memorises 2-4-3 :wink:

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Gabby » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:37 am

MrsSeah wrote:My son also have difficulty in chinese. He could remember all the tingxie and words. He has no problem when you break out the word for him to read. But when construct the chinese sentences, all his broken chinese come out. :( He could put 我们看戏今天。 He is P3 now and I just put him in Berries in January. :( Hope he could improve.

My P5 daughter has no problem in chinese before. She could get band 1 without any tuition all this while.

I have very little problem with my DS1 and personally I do like the Berries syllabus. However I realize it works well with the faster and brighter learners. My DS2 retains very little with the programme. However his oral improves greatly.

Gabby
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Primary 1