Homework

Academic support for Primary 1

Homework

Postby fristrom » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:40 pm

Would like to know how much homework is your p1 kid getting, and how long it takes them to complete.

My kid is getting homework once every 2-3 days, which takes 10 - 45 min to finish. On a particular weekday, she got 3 pages of maths, and 2 pages of pinyin, to be handed in the next day.

Talking to her kindergarten friends, most of them is not getting anything, apart from the weekly spelling.

fristrom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Homework

Postby mummy of 2 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:59 pm

Mine gets less than once a week and so far it's only been for one subject each time. Takes about 15 minutes to finish, on average. This is of course in addition to weekly spelling and tingxie.

mummy of 2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:01 pm

DS seem to be getting homework almost everyday as well. Usually about 1 page of math and maybe 1 page from the haopengyou magazine, sometimes a bit of art. But most will take him at most 15-30mins to complete. On Fridays he will come back with more since it is the weekend. Last Friday he had 2 pages of Stella handwriting, 1 Journal, 1 art and 1 math. Again all these if he just sit down, focus and do, can be completed within 30mins.

It took me awhile to get use to this since DD did not have much homework at all. Weekends are really free. Only homework was the occasional corrections and maybe 1 page here and there. Not even once a week. I think.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby poppy15 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:36 am

DS do not have any homework given.. :scratchhead:

on top of his weekly spelling & tingxie, all he need to do are his given assignments via www.mconline.sg at his own pace. ( i do it with him on alternate evenings)

all his worksheets are completed in class.. i can imagine that cos everyday he has 3 consecutive periods of english, mother tongue & maths

but what i do is to run thru his textbooks & make sure he truely understands what has been taught in class.

poppy15
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:57 am

Yah one would think that 1.5hrs everyday for each subject should be more then sufficient for the teachers to cover and do what they need to do with the kids. Well I surely thought it is definitely enough.

Initially I thought DS was slow in doing his work that is why he ends up with homework. But had a conversation with his teacher and she said she gave them a lot of homework that day since the following day no Spelling/Tingxie. :shrug:

Oh well, some teachers still feel the need to give homework. And sometimes I suspect it is because in the past, parents expect homework to be given (well, even now, some parents believe in hmwk) and thus it is a habit now even if parents' expectations may be changing.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby MummyThreeStreams » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:06 am

We had no homework in P1. The teachers would give the boys time in class to do their worksheets and activity books. They would only have work to do at home if they didn't finish up in class. But this was rare for my DS. Same for P2 now, though I find that he brings "work" home more often than last year, though usually this is still out of the ordinary.

MummyThreeStreams
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Champion » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:54 am

My P1 DD2 seldom has homework :wink: ..According to her, most are done in school. The only homework that she has is the 好朋友 magazine; seems like it is being done every alternate day :shrug: DD2 is very weak in 汉语拼音 so she always :nailbite: whenever there is Chinese-related homework :razz:

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby fristrom » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:36 am

Thanks for all your feedback. My kid used to be in full day childcare, and I thought she will have more time in p1 since school is halfday. It has turned out not to be the case once the homework starts coming in.

It is nice to know that the amount of homework varies so much from one to another school. For the same school, does the amount of homework varies from one teacher to another too?

fristrom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby keroppi » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:48 pm

I remember my kids' schools have "no homework" policy for P1 & P2.

keroppi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Primary 1