What's wrong with the education today?

Academic support for Primary 1

What's wrong with the education today?

Postby nkthen » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:26 pm

It's very frustrating. It's Chinese exams tomorrow and my 2 Primary one kids are STILL DOING CHINESE HOMEWORK! They are in afternoon session but both parents have to work in the morning so there is no time to finish/tuition them the next day.

The school teaches things at a very fast pace and my kids cannot catch up. They have to go tuition to catch up. Sometimes, we have to give extra lesson after tuition by ourselves.

This got worse during exams period.

It seems like one parent have to quit working and teach the kids full-time. The way the school give homework and the level of teaching, they assume that one parent is not working, or forcing one of the parent not to work.

We are dual-income family, and so are many of you. So how do you manage?

Is this the reality of schools in Singapore?

Very, very frustrating. :frustrated:

nkthen
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: What's wrong with the education today?

Postby Suz855 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:59 pm

The trick is to let ur children learn at a consistence pace, every day learn a bit do a bit (it will become good habbit) n read Chinese stories to them or let them read u a story daily if not during the wkend(go to the library, plenty of nice picture books) They will soon enjoy the language, tests or exam, they will manage easily.

Have fun :smile:

Suz855
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: What's wrong with the education today?

Postby mummy so kiasu » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:41 pm

nkthen wrote:It's very frustrating. It's Chinese exams tomorrow and my 2 Primary one kids are STILL DOING CHINESE HOMEWORK! They are in afternoon session but both parents have to work in the morning so there is no time to finish/tuition them the next day.

The school teaches things at a very fast pace and my kids cannot catch up. They have to go tuition to catch up. Sometimes, we have to give extra lesson after tuition by ourselves.

This got worse during exams period.

It seems like one parent have to quit working and teach the kids full-time. The way the school give homework and the level of teaching, they assume that one parent is not working, or forcing one of the parent not to work.

I do understand how you feel. The standard in schools is getting higher & the work load also getting more. The parents are expected to help up with the kid's school work & tuition has also become necessity. No joke!

We are dual-income family, and so are many of you. So how do you manage?

Is this the reality of schools in Singapore?

Very, very frustrating. :frustrated:

mummy so kiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Primary 1