P1 Meet the Parent session

Academic support for Primary 1

P1 Meet the Parent session

Postby buzzlady » Fri May 25, 2012 11:42 am

I went to the MPS yesterday for my P1 boy. I am very surprised with the way the teacher speak to me.

She began by saying that my son is alright with his academic as he 95% on average of all subjects. And she continues by saying that "But he is not helpful" She said that he is one of the good students in the class but he is not helping the "not so good" student.

I am rather uncomfortable. May I ask, is it the responsibility of a P1 boy to take care and help out on the work of "not so good"student nowsaday?

Why is he graded as ünhelpful" ? what is the measuring gauge?

I know there are 2 students in the class that cant even write A B C properly, I believe for such cases, they should be in special school?

And when I said that I want my son to concentrate on his own work before he can help, he should finish what he suppose to do and when he has extra time, then he help. Know what the teacher said? she said ... if you prefer him not to help, is fine with me!" FAINT!!

buzzlady
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: P1 Meet the Parent session

Postby ksme » Fri May 25, 2012 11:53 am

buzzlady wrote:I went to the MPS yesterday for my P1 boy. I am very surprised with the way the teacher speak to me.

She began by saying that my son is alright with his academic as he 95% on average of all subjects. And she continues by saying that "But he is not helpful" She said that he is one of the good students in the class but he is not helping the "not so good" student.

I am rather uncomfortable. May I ask, is it the responsibility of a P1 boy to take care and help out on the work of "not so good"student nowsaday?

I know there are 2 students in the class that cant even write A B C properly, I believe for such cases, they should be in special school?

And when I said that I want my son to concentrate on his own work before he can help, he should finish what he suppose to do and when he has extra time, then he help. Know what the teacher said? she said ... if you prefer him not to help, is fine with me!" FAINT!!

Perhaps it's the teacher's way of communicating, but I think the teacher has good intention. She probably feels that by encouraging the children to help, it builds their character and get them to be more appreciative of people of different capabilities. My son's teacher has given similar feedback many years ago when he was in primary 1 and perhaps she was better at communicating it as it did not come out negatively to us. On our part, we encourage our son to be helpful to his friends and I think this has helped him to build his character as well as strong friendship with these children. Try not to interpret negatively to what the teacher has feedback. Turn it into a useful feedback to help your son develop further. Afterall, academics is not everything and we as parents, want our children to develop good character too. :smile:

ksme
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Yerdua » Fri May 25, 2012 12:22 pm

buzzlady wrote:I am rather uncomfortable. May I ask, is it the responsibility of a P1 boy to take care and help out on the work of "not so good"student nowsaday?

Body language/ facial expression speaks louder than words.

Thus, the teacher had pick up the vibes about you being 'rather uncomfortable' with the idea of helping slower children in class almost immediately.

Yerdua
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Yerdua » Fri May 25, 2012 12:40 pm

buzzlady wrote:I know there are 2 students in the class that cant even write A B C properly, I believe for such cases, they should be in special school?

Yes, there are pupils who can't write or recognize alphabets and number in P1. :sad: And I'm sure there are many more because they may have no or little learning support from the family or school. :sad:

So, this is definitely not the 'measuring gauge' to put these slower children in a special school.

Yerdua
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Yerdua » Fri May 25, 2012 12:41 pm

ksme wrote:
buzzlady wrote:I went to the MPS yesterday for my P1 boy. I am very surprised with the way the teacher speak to me.

Perhaps it's the teacher's way of communicating, but I think the teacher has good intention. She probably feels that by encouraging the children to help, it builds their character and get them to be more appreciative of people of different capabilities. My son's teacher has given similar feedback many years ago when he was in primary 1 and perhaps she was better at
communicating it as it did not come out negatively to us. On our part, we encourage our son to be helpful to his friends and I think this has helped him to build his character as well as strong friendship with these children. Try not to interpret negatively to what the teacher has feedback. Turn it into a useful feedback to help your son develop further. Afterall, academics is not everything and we as parents, want our children to develop good character too. :smile:

:goodpost:

Yerdua
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby SAHM_TAN » Fri May 25, 2012 12:55 pm

Some kids do not attend kindergartens or childcare centres. Some parents cannot afford to send their kids to kindy, not even to PAP types, yup even in Singapore, there are such cases. There are other reasons too. So doesn't know how to write A,B,C doesn't mean they are intellectually challenged.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby CMF » Fri May 25, 2012 1:04 pm

ksme wrote: Perhaps it's the teacher's way of communicating but I think the teacher has good intention. She probably feels that by encouraging the children to help, it builds their character and get them to be more appreciative of people of different capabilities. My son's teacher has given similar feedback many years ago when he was in primary 1 and perhaps she was better at communicating it as it did not come out negatively to us. On our part, we encourage our son to be helpful to his friends and I think this has helped him to build his character as well as strong friendship with these children. Try not to interpret negatively to what the teacher has feedback. Turn it into a useful feedback to help your son develop further. Afterall, academics is not everything and we as parents, want our children to develop good character too. :smile:

:goodpost:

CMF
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Primary 1