Education

Academic support for Primary 1

Education

Postby Assabella » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:27 pm

Hello everyone,
I am a Sec 1 student. After reading Kiasuparents forum, I have a few thoughts about education. I am very amazed at how much effort you parents out there put in for your children. :salute: For me, my parents have never interfered with my education. It was all just the basics. I have never attended tuition, only phonics when I was K1. My education path is just preschool, primary school, and now I am in the IP programme. As Singapore advances into a competitive society, I am aware that I have to work very hard in order to achieve what I want next time when I grow up. And of course, to break out of the cycle of poverty.
As many a times I read threads on education, I myself find it mind-boggling for parents to juggle enrichment, tuition, cca for the child! Especially when it comes to 1-to-1 coaching for all the various stages your child goes through from infant to toddler, toddler to kid, kid to pre-teen, pre-teen to teenage, and even into the adult years, you parents will always be there for your child. :love:
My parents are the complete opposites from you all. My father has only given me a nod every year when I show him my report card. At first I was discouraged and my results slip. In P4, I got 22nd place in the standard. I was about 15 places behind my previous year's standing. Still, I have gotten a nod but I myself feel disappointed. There came the breakthrough in P5. I pulled up my socks (literally :lol: ) and got myself where I am today. Yes, I can never match up to my peers, who have enrichment, piano classes, ballet classes, tuition and all sorts of things from a young age.) Yes, i would like to take up piano and ballet and violin classes but I don't think I can afford it.
There is a story I would like to share. It creates a deep impression in me :
There is this boy named A who always only manages to be in the 20s place in his class. On the other hand, he has a classmate B who always get 1st in class. Feeling discouraged, A approached his father. His father brought him to the beach to watch the seagulls. The seagulls, after catching their prey, flap their wings and flew away from the surface of the sea. Some were slower than the others, but eventually all of the seagulls managed to fly awat from the surface of the sea. A's father says to his son "See that, my child? Not everyone does things at the same speed. It's just like learning to walk. Some do it at 19 months, while some learn it at 21 months. However, how does it matter? In the end, everyone will learn how to walk and run. My son, eventually you will fly away from the surface of the sea."
This story serves as a food for thought for me while I wonder ultimately, what is my goal of reaching the top. While enrichment classes are beneficial, I think that everyone can make it just like those without tuition. Every child is gifted :smile:
My motto is, there will not be a first if there are no lasts. There will not be winners if there are no losers.

Assabella
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Education

Postby Studious Alien » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:37 pm

Assabella wrote:Hello everyone,
I am a Sec 1 student. After reading Kiasuparents forum, I have a few thoughts about education. I am very amazed at how much effort you parents out there put in for your children. :salute: For me, my parents have never interfered with my education. It was all just the basics. I have never attended tuition, only phonics when I was K1. My education path is just preschool, primary school, and now I am in the IP programme. As Singapore advances into a competitive society, I am aware that I have to work very hard in order to achieve what I want next time when I grow up. And of course, to break out of the cycle of poverty.
As many a times I read threads on education, I myself find it mind-boggling for parents to juggle enrichment, tuition, cca for the child! Especially when it comes to 1-to-1 coaching for all the various stages your child goes through from infant to toddler, toddler to kid, kid to pre-teen, pre-teen to teenage, and even into the adult years, you parents will always be there for your child. :love:
My parents are the complete opposites from you all. My father has only given me a nod every year when I show him my report card. At first I was discouraged and my results slip. In P4, I got 22nd place in the standard. I was about 15 places behind my previous year's standing. Still, I have gotten a nod but I myself feel disappointed. There came the breakthrough in P5. I pulled up my socks (literally :lol: ) and got myself where I am today. Yes, I can never match up to my peers, who have enrichment, piano classes, ballet classes, tuition and all sorts of things from a young age.) Yes, i would like to take up piano and ballet and violin classes but I don't think I can afford it.
There is a story I would like to share. It creates a deep impression in me :
There is this boy named A who always only manages to be in the 20s place in his class. On the other hand, he has a classmate B who always get 1st in class. Feeling discouraged, A approached his father. His father brought him to the beach to watch the seagulls. The seagulls, after catching their prey, flap their wings and flew away from the surface of the sea. Some were slower than the others, but eventually all of the seagulls managed to fly awat from the surface of the sea. A's father says to his son "See that, my child? Not everyone does things at the same speed. It's just like learning to walk. Some do it at 19 months, while some learn it at 21 months. However, how does it matter? In the end, everyone will learn how to walk and run. My son, eventually you will fly away from the surface of the sea."
This story serves as a food for thought for me while I wonder ultimately, what is my goal of reaching the top. While enrichment classes are beneficial, I think that everyone can make it just like those without tuition. Every child is gifted :smile:
My motto is, there will not be a first if there are no lasts. There will not be winners if there are no losers.

:goodpost: Very inspiring! :smile:

Studious Alien
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Education

Postby Assabella » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:24 pm

:goodpost: Very inspiring! :smile:[/quote]

:thankyou: :politebleah: :lovesite:

Assabella
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Primary 1