First term in P1

Academic support for Primary 1

First term in P1

Postby karenmok » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:31 pm

Hi,
What is the first term in P1 like? What do teachers do to kids who have a tougher time adjusting? Since kids joining P1 are all from different pre-schools, how is the quality control enforced in P1? What about kids who are head and shoulder above their peers - having had more special pre-schooling?

karenmok
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: First term in P1

Postby verykiasumummy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:39 pm

if i rmb correctly, p1 are no much different from the upper levels.. just that the first 2 weeks may be honeymoon but after that, all goes normal..

teacher will teach from text, assign hw... every kid will be given a handbook, parents will look out for hw and special remarks made by teacher.. the handbook becomes a communicating tool between parents n teachers..

kids who fare better than the others will sometimes feel bored in class, but they will soon grow out of it... looking at the top school exam papers for p1, all subjects are tested for branded schools and the papers arent that easy for everyone...

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nms1 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:42 am

I would suggest that you try to find someone from the same school that your child will be attending as the schools do vary in the way that they handle the P1s.

For my daughter's school they eased them in very gently - they only attended for a shortened day for the first week of term. They had very little homework in the first term; in fact I felt it was too little. Her school does not have exams in P1 but uses holistic i.e. continuous assessment throughout the year. None of the tests took place in term 1 and even in term 2 each one was only 5% of the total marks for the year.

Before they joined there was a pre-orientation day when they had to go to the school and read a list of words to one of the teachers, read a short paragraph and then answer a few questions. We were also given a questionairre on which pre-school they attended and what the mother tongue exposure was. This was to help the teachers understand the background of each child.

They were assessed for mother tongue ability at the end of term 1; this was not a test but a discussion amongst the teachers based on their classwork and homework. Those who were struggling were put into the "bridging" class and those who were doing better into the "enriched" class. The majority stay in the normal class. This means that they have their MT lessons separately with the bridging class spending more time on the basics.

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby johnnyng » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:39 pm

nms1 wrote:I would suggest that you try to find someone from the same school that your child will be attending as the schools do vary in the way that they handle the P1s.

For my daughter's school they eased them in very gently - they only attended for a shortened day for the first week of term. They had very little homework in the first term; in fact I felt it was too little. Her school does not have exams in P1 but uses holistic i.e. continuous assessment throughout the year. None of the tests took place in term 1 and even in term 2 each one was only 5% of the total marks for the year.

Before they joined there was a pre-orientation day when they had to go to the school and read a list of words to one of the teachers, read a short paragraph and then answer a few questions. We were also given a questionairre on which pre-school they attended and what the mother tongue exposure was. This was to help the teachers understand the background of each child.

They were assessed for mother tongue ability at the end of term 1; this was not a test but a discussion amongst the teachers based on their classwork and homework. Those who were struggling were put into the "bridging" class and those who were doing better into the "enriched" class. The majority stay in the normal class. This means that they have their MT lessons separately with the bridging class spending more time on the basics.

:salute:

johnnyng
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Primary 1