P1 Tution -- Necessary?

Academic support for Primary 1

Tuition P1

Postby Thomas69 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:38 pm

Hi,

Help needed, Anyone one can advise whether is that adviseable to have tuition for primary one kids?

Thank in advance.

Thomas69
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Tuition P1

Postby catherineleesg » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:55 pm

Personally, I feel that it is not necessary for now.
Unless kid is not able to grab concepts or no one is there to teach/coach when help is needed.

catherineleesg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Sun_2010 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:17 pm

mummy of three wrote:Kiasu then tuition lor, some as young as kindergarten also tuition, now very normal…

Right , now-a-days seems quite common .

But still that doesnt make it normal.

I do not know your child or your reason for contemplating tution.
IMHO,
Unless you feel that your child is having real problems in understanding concepts which need 1-1 kind of attention, and you dont have the time /expertise to help - avoid it.
Give your child a chance to take charge of his/her learning.

You can also ask the Form Teacher for her input.

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby catherineleesg » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:04 pm

i teach my DD in advance before a topic is taught too.

catherineleesg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Flowermonaster » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:28 pm

I don't see the need. I feel it's better to cultivate them to read more books.

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:21 pm

It depends on what you expect of your child in school. If the main aim is to do well, then teaching in advance and pre-emptive tuition probably does do the trick. I told my kids from the start that school is for learning how to learn, be it from teachers, from reading the textbooks, from seeking help from friends and parents etc. Tuition would be if they still couldn't grasp the material after trying all the above. For one of my kids, she has needed quite a bit of help from parents and tutors, but we still let her try to learn it herself first rather than teach in advance. It may not maximise for exam results, but we feel it's a good survival skill. For the other child, she has managed fine with some help from parents and has never had tuition.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Champion » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:40 pm

slmkhoo wrote:It depends on what you expect of your child in school. If the main aim is to do well, then teaching in advance and pre-emptive tuition probably does do the trick. I told my kids from the start that school is for learning how to learn, be it from teachers, from reading the textbooks, from seeking help from friends and parents etc. Tuition would be if they still couldn't grasp the material after trying all the above. For one of my kids, she has needed quite a bit of help from parents and tutors, but we still let her try to learn it herself first rather than teach in advance. It may not maximise for exam results, but we feel it's a good survival skill. For the other child, she has managed fine with some help from parents and has never had tuition.

:goodpost: :salute:
Get to speak with the form teacher / subject teacher(s) and listen to their opinions on how the child is coping in school - not only academically but school readiness including characteristics like showing enthusiasm and curiosity, social maturity appropriate to their age and also to verbally telling you their needs, wants and thoughts.

I understand and it does confirm by experts that children who get extra children will have a slight headstart over others - they may be good at worksheets, and able to sit still and write for longer periods. But there is a downside
- They also tend to get bored because they are too familiar with the schoolwork, and may begin to disrupt the lessons.
Extract from: thesundaytimes, September 2, 2012

As a parent of three kids (age 10, 7, 3), I am learning and also facing dilemmas (frequently :wink: ) whether if I don't send my children for tuition, will they be at the disadvantaged comparing with their peers of the same age :scratchhead:

I outsourced my 10 years old elder child for Maths and Science - mainly because I am not "experts' in these areas and I find myself having difficulties coaching her with the syllabus - the right formula; the correct "answering techniques" etc ( :evil: beta that she asks the expert to help than to turn to this sotong mummy :rotflmao: ).

Whereas, my 7-years old P1 is not having any tuition - i totally counting on the school teachers to teach her :smile: There is no major exams; only bite-size review tests every few weeks and I find that it is manageable for her.

I recalled when my now 10 Years old was in K1 (5 years ago), I approached her CL T asking, " Will they be taught Hanyu Pinyin?" Her reply," Oh, we are following the guidelines given not to teach HYPY but to focus on Chinese Character." She was having a 3-hours curriculum with a church kindy since Pre-N to K2 and the CL lessons was merely a 40 minutes daily.

When she went to P1 in Y2009, I got panicked because all I see in the 1st few chapters of the 1A TB it is all about HYPY! :faint: DD1 got :scared: because this was totally new and stranger to her. So, upon recommendation from a friend, we enrolled her into a language centre. The teacher was passionate and explained that those P1 kids with their centre have all learnt HYPY since beginning of K2! :shock: and now in P1 it is more of a "reinforcing" what they have learnt. My DD1 was fortunate to be enrolled into a new class where there were only 3 students including herself. With that small-group and attention given, she managed to grasp the HYPY in less than 2 months and built up a strong foundation in Chinese.

So when my now 7-years old DD2 was in K1 2 years ago, I did the same and approached her CL T asking, " Will they be taught Hanyu Pinyin?" Her reply," Oh, we are following the guidelines given by MOE not to teach HYPY." My DD2 was with the PCF Kindy and I thought maybe she was spending 4-hours daily in school, the HYPY should be introduced towards the end of K2. But to my dismay, the same situation with DD1 repeated with DD2. And being a "English-speaking potato" child, I am more panicked for DD2 than with DD1 :sweat: :sweat: No choice, I enrolled DD2 with the same Language centre since K1 and continue till end K2. She grasped the basic knowledge of HYPY but because of "no-interest" with CL, she is still resisting learning anything relating to Mandarin :cry: :cry: We have tried talking / coaxing / bribing :wink: her to go back to the language centre for P1 enrichment class but she does not want to! She said," It is so boring to just sit in the class reading, writing, do correction; it is the same as what I learn in school so why should i repeat the same thing again?" :faint:

We have decided to leave the situation as it is for the time being but is keeping in touch with the school CL T and FT constantly of her learning curve. We feel that no point pushing her to cram more else she will be more resistant to learn and to love for Chinese Culture.

Oh Yes, the time is "coming" soon :yikes: for my DS who will be turning 3 in a few days' time and will be in Nursery next year! He is the "follower" of my DD2 - speaks English most of the time and the Mandarin is with the English accent :laugh: Will need to take a small step at a time :smile:

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:32 pm

Depends on personal situation and whether the child can benefit. I have sent my kids for enrichment classes from young for languages but only started one to one Chinese and English lessons for ds2 after feeling his kindy go through lots of change.

I don't ask for top of class but just want them to build up a strong foundation. Following what some one taught me before, since I can't teach, I shouldn't try. Just outsource what I can't.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Imami » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:03 pm

mummy of three wrote:Kiasu then tuition lor, some as young as kindergarten also tuition, now very normal…

Serious boh? Tuition at pri one??

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:10 pm

hquek wrote:Depends on personal situation and whether the child can benefit. I have sent my kids for enrichment classes from young for languages but only started one to one Chinese and English lessons for ds2 after feeling his kindy go through lots of change.

I don't ask for top of class but just want them to build up a strong foundation. Following what some one taught me before, since I can't teach, I shouldn't try. Just outsource what I can't.

But then, how do we differentiate that the one at the top of the class is not the one with strong foundation? Look, don't get me wrong, don't get all your arrows aiming at me yet :rotflmao:

Or maybe I ask this way - how do I focus on building the foundation without being suck into the rat race to the top?

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary 1