BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:29

Re: P1 Tution -- Necessary?

Post by peasants » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:52 pm

Octavia wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:27 pm
Any suggestion for P1 Student care?
We are full-time working parents, thinking to put our dd in after school student care. We are afraid of not able to helping out her homework when we get back home from office(normally 7pm+).
We have only maid , no grandparents staying with us.
If we put her student care, SC will help her doing homework?
One of my fri doesn't put her son in SC, she said her son can do homework by himself. But somehow she has her mother staying with them.
Thinking that grandma controls her grandson's gaming and cartoon movie time.

So we are thinking SC.
I feel pity my dd that she has been in full time child care since PG (2yrs+).
I want her to relax after her school but her daddy wants SC as most of his fri do so.
Any pros and cons putting our kids in Student Care in such a young age (i mean P1)
Both my DDs went infant care since 2 months old, followed by childcare, then student care. Stopped going at P5.

Octavia
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Octavia » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:15 pm

floppy wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:10 pm
Octavia wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:27 pm
Any suggestion for P1 Student care?
We are full-time working parents, thinking to put our dd in after school student care. We are afraid of not able to helping out her homework when we get back home from office(normally 7pm+).
We have only maid , no grandparents staying with us.
If we put her student care, SC will help her doing homework?
One of my fri doesn't put her son in SC, she said her son can do homework by himself. But somehow she has her mother staying with them.
Thinking that grandma controls her grandson's gaming and cartoon movie time.

So we are thinking SC.
I feel pity my dd that she has been in full time child care since PG (2yrs+).
I want her to relax after her school but her daddy wants SC as most of his fri do so.
Any pros and cons putting our kids in Student Care in such a young age (i mean P1)
Pros
1. Most student care help to supervise the children in their homework. Please note that it's "supervise", it's not the duty of the the student care to ensure right or wrong - though some may help to point out the obvious mistakes.
2. They will also help the children revise their spelling / tingxie.
3. Proper meals (if you have a maid, this probably won't make a difference).
4. Regulations :laugh: therefore, no TV, no phone, no computer, etc. However, it doesn't mean no 'relaxation'. Some student care will organise activities for the children - games and the occasional movie screening.
5. Make more friends.

Cons
1. Regimentation :lol: some student care doesn't allow nap time, doesn't have the shower facilities, doesn't permit the child what he / she wants / likes to do.
2. Too many friends :wink:

Given that you have a helper and assuming cost is not a concern, you can leave your child in the student care and have your helper pick her up early ~ maybe 4pm? That will reduce the time that she needs to stay in the student care.

:thankyou:
I'm also thinking to fetch her up early around 4+ if we decide to put her in SC.
Yeah, cost is not a concern for us as normally SC is quite cheap. :smile:
Now we are trying to persuade her to do homework/reading story book ... by her own discipline.
Will discuss with her Pa Pa :)

Octavia
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Octavia » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:23 pm

zac's mum wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:47 pm
I think for those who have alternatives (eg maid or grandparent), it probably boils down to: how confident are you that the caregiver can supervise the homework, Spelling/tingxie revision?

Some caregivers (eg bilingual grandparents) can. Some Filipino maids can supervise English and Math hw. Some mature kids themselves can even take up the responsibility themselves - parents ask kid to phone them at work and report.

*and then there are some very senior-level parents at my previous workplaces, they get the maid to bring the child via taxi to their office. And let the child sit in a spare room to do their hw. After that, maid brings them to evening tuition.

Yeah, this is also one of the points.

Rachel008
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Rachel008 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:03 pm

Finding the right student care is important! This literally saved our lives! Student care in school basically takes care of lunch and that's about it. Homework cannot be checked due to MOE rules. I changed to a private student care after a few months which is located few minutes wall from my boy's school. He has been there since P1. I never had to worry about spelling or 听写 as the teachers religiously helps to practice. Homework is checked through and any mistakes the teachers will go through and explain to my boy. For him, once he is home he is glued to iPad. So best thing is throw to student care. All work taken care of!

KellyOngHQ
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by KellyOngHQ » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:25 am

Personal view.. I think for P1 is necessary as the foundation is most important esp languages..

JassyT
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by JassyT » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:13 pm

Don't think twice about sending your child into the tuition center because they need scaffolding to develop their communication skills which sometimes we least worry about. There are several centers that have a great curriculum that would enable them to be confident in expressing themselves through writing and speaking.

EyeLevelSembawang
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by EyeLevelSembawang » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:02 am

I think P1 tuition is necessary if your child is behind, especially in Math. Math is very cumulative. For example, if your child cannot add 1 digit numbers with speed and accuracy and without finger counting, there is going to be trouble adding double digit numbers then subtraction. Multiplication's foundation is also addition.

As a teacher mummy, I struggle teaching my own daughter as her view of me as her mama muddies the effectiveness of what I'm trying to teach her. And I choose our mother-daughter relationship above all else. So even if parents can coach their own children because P1 material isn't too difficult, it can be a minefield of tears and hair-pulling because you're first and foremost your children's beloved mum/dad.