How to teach spelling???

Academic support for Primary 1

How to teach spelling???

Postby marmum » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:52 pm

I have a hard time teaching my child to learn spelling both in English and Chinese..... I tried the copying numerous times, play games, rewards but it all did not seem to work well with my child. Anyone have any advise on what methods to teach? I need help on this desperately.......... :stupid: :cry: :faint:

marmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: How to teach spelling???

Postby smartmummy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:58 pm

How old is ur child?
Try verbal.my girl prefer to say than writing.
Last edited by smartmummy on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby buds » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:00 pm

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hellokittyspore » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:09 pm

marmum wrote:I have a hard time teaching my child to learn spelling both in English and Chinese..... I tried the copying numerous times, play games, rewards but it all did not seem to work well with my child. Anyone have any advise on what methods to teach? I need help on this desperately.......... :stupid: :cry: :faint:

I go through verbally with my dd, the list of words before requesting her to learn. For Chinese, show her the key stroke once.

When she started with her spelling in K2, I let her learn 1 or 2 words per day. When she becomes more experience with spelling, she will be able to learn it within a shorter time frame. If my dd already know a particular word, I will avoid asking her again. Basically, she only learn those that she don't know.
hellokittyspore
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jedamum » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:40 pm

can u give an example of the learning difficulties in the spelling and chinese words?
my ds1 has slight difficulty in recognising chinese spelling words until i learnt that he needs to recognise them in pictorial form. my ds2 remembers by strokes sequence.
for english, ds1 creates funny links/stories to help remember certain words, ds2 relies a lot of phonics and his memory is quite good.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby marmum » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:17 pm

Thanks for all the good sugguestions and assistance here... my child is 6 this year.... somehow after numerous repeatitive writing, still dont know... thus i tried using the white board for fun learning but still does not see much improvement.... use reading, also does work well.... somehow I find that my child does not want to remember until i gave up and say dont wanna learn, dont learn..... :slapshead: then my child cried and sat down to put in effort to learn.......... at least that's what I see and it worked. Somehow, need to me get angry then can motivate my child to work hard? :yikes: How.... how???

marmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:40 pm

marmum wrote:Thanks for all the good sugguestions and assistance here... my child is 6 this year.... somehow after numerous repeatitive writing, still dont know... thus i tried using the white board for fun learning but still does not see much improvement.... use reading, also does work well.... somehow I find that my child does not want to remember until i gave up and say dont wanna learn, dont learn..... :slapshead: then my child cried and sat down to put in effort to learn.......... at least that's what I see and it worked. Somehow, need to me get angry then can motivate my child to work hard? :yikes: How.... how???

Maybe it's not that you got angry, but that you gave the child the choice? It could be that when getting the knowledge into his head was seen to be your responsibility, he didn't put in effort, but when it became his responsibility, he did? Why not try it for a few weeks - tell him he can choose not to learn the spelling and get low marks and a consequence (writing every word 10 times or whatever), or learning it by himself and getting good marks. I wouldn't promise a reward onto the learning part just yet, but if he does well, you can give him a small treat.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MsPizza » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:34 am

Repetitive writing doesn't work on my 6+ year old. What work was covering the letters and break it down for her. For example, the word bulldozer (bull-do-zer). I'll ask her to spell bull first, then do and lastly zer but Im unsure if it will work on your child. Good luck!
Last edited by MsPizza on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MsPizza
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby janet88 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:13 am

frankly, learning eng spelling and 听写 is different. for spelling, i break up the words but 听写, she has to write at least 3-4 times and that helps her remember. my tutor once told me to remember chinese characters, it is easier to remember through writing.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby JohnYeo » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:27 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:frankly, learning eng spelling and 听写 is different. for spelling, i break up the words but 听写, she has to write at least 3-4 times and that helps her remember. my tutor once told me to remember chinese characters, it is easier to remember through writing.

Breaking up the words work for me when I was in Primary school...like handkerchief...it was the hardest word I knew then...and when my mom broke it to hand-ker-chief....i could remember it easily....hope this helps.

JohnYeo
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Primary 1