No communication about homework

Academic support for Primary 1

No communication about homework

Postby Chouchou » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:29 am

Hi, my daughter started P1 in January 2013 and since then we are at lost for whst homework does she have to do. The teachers never write anything in the communication journal. So they give verbally the instruction of the home work to the kids and up to them to remember. Is this a normal practice? How us as parents can we control our kids homework if we don't know what they have to do? I would be glad if some of you can share how it is done in your kid's school. Thanks

Chouchou
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: No communication about homework

Postby iLoveChubby » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:08 pm

In my DS's school, they write their homework in the pupil's diary and they also have a special file whereby they keep the homework/worksheets/notification letters etc - back in P1, i always dig his bag for all the info.

You may wish to highlight this to the FT - verbal instructions cant work on most P1 kids.

iLoveChubby
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby happyheart » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:28 pm

I believed it is a common practice that the teacher will give verbal instruction, plus write the Day's homework on the board. kids have to pay attention and copy down information in their communication handbook. In primary school, no more spoon feeding...kids have to do it themselves. :smile:

happyheart
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sunflower » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:31 pm

Back then in DD1’s primary school, there was a “Homework File” in the booklist and all homework was to be placed in the file. For DD2’s primary school, all her subject teachers ensured students wrote the HW in the student handbook when she was in P1.

sunflower
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Nelliez » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:47 pm

Since P1 (in P2 now) my dd has also been recording her homework, things to bring to class &/or any submission of forms for signing, etc in her student handbook. Her teachers will write the necessary on the board and sometimes they just communicate verbally. No matter what forms of comms, she will write it in her handbook. I made it a habit for her to do that since P1, now she even know how to write certain words in short forms, to save time when there's too many words to write.

Nelliez
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby coolbaby » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:10 pm

Some schools do not give homework, esp for those P1 and P2.
During the parents-teachers meeting, teachers told us they prefer the students to do in school, rather than as homework. becos very often parents will help or to correct the work if s/he write wrongly. Thus, teachers may have the perception that the students understand the lesson.
Best is to talk to the teachers.

coolbaby
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jedamum » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:44 pm

my P1 will write down homework in his diary.
he also has a homework file, which i will look through.
i will also look through his bag to see any workbooks. if there are no homework, usually workbooks will be left in school.
if there are holiday homework, test dates etc, the teachers will type out and distribute slips of paper in class. i find this way very efficient and also goodto ensure that the kids don't miss out anything - the CL teacher even stapled those slips onto the diary. :)

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby hersheys » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:05 pm

P1 - my gal has to write down homework in their planner.
P2 now - the FT has form a blog in Ask & Learn whereby she will update homework daily on this blog so that parents can monitor.

I think it depends on individual FT. and yes I will highlight this problem to the FT.

hersheys
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Primary 1