Dont think daughter is coping well with P1

Academic support for Primary 1

Dont think daughter is coping well with P1

Postby trex72 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:19 pm

Dear fellow parents,

My elder daughter started P1 this year in TNS. Prior to this she did not attend any form of enrichment class or tution. Now I think its a huge mistake as she don't seems to be coping well in school.

I'm teaching her personally at the moment but it's mainly coaching her on her weekly spelling and hypy spelling as well as homework. Got a shock yesterday when I discovered that she has been mainly copying her classmate's hypy assignment as she has no idea on how to do her assignments. She also has trouble copying instructions on her pupil's handwork and most of the time I have to guess what homework she has.

Should I sign her up for tution or enrichment class( especially for her Chinese)? Any good recommendation for sengkang area? Kumon? Kent ridge?

trex72
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Dont think daughter is coping well with P1

Postby JJ1111 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:41 pm

Get a few of her classmate parent no.

My sister's p1 daughter class form a group in whatapps. All of them update each other the school homework and information.

I feel such a clever move. :) I never thought of this when my kids is in P1. :)

JJ1111
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby coolbaby » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:51 pm

good idea to form a whatapp group. Provided you get to know them and to get their numbers.
I have no clue about my sons' classmates' parents numbers :(
It will be nice if the school or teacher to bring the parents together - email or an event etc.

coolbaby
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Pen88n » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:52 pm

Is you DD able to read and write (like write in a diary about happenings of the day - need not be long, 5-10 sentences will do.) in English and at least read in Chinese when she enters P1? If yes, she should not have a problem coping with P1.

HYPY is a little like phonics. I did not teach both my kids HYPY before they enter P1. Like your DD, my kids have no enrichment classes before P1 or even in lower primary, but I encourage reading, so both of them can read well by the time they enter P1. Both learnt HYPY in P1 and are able to grasp that. If really need to, suggest you consider Tien Hsia for your DD.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Pen88n » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:55 pm

coolbaby wrote:good idea to form a whatapp group. Provided you get to know them and to get their numbers.
I have no clue about my sons' classmates' parents numbers :(
It will be nice if the school or teacher to bring the parents together - email or an event etc.

You will probably get to meet some of the parents at Parent-Teacher meeting in the school by term 2. Be prepared to hang around a little and be friendly so you can chat and get their numbers. My kids also used to get a lot of birthday invitation to parties at that age - that's another very informal platform to get to know your kid's classmates' parents.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BlueBells » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:59 pm

Besides the Whatsapp group, suggest you also touch base with her teachers to hear their observations. Don't panic just yet.

If she has no improvements by next term, then there are a couple of things you can do:

1. Get in touch with the learning support teacher in school and see if any help can be rendered (can also get in touch with them now, no harm);

2. Put her through selected enrichment classes.

Passing her spellings (EL and CL) is no indication whether she has any learning challenges in school.

BlueBells
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby JJ1111 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:06 pm

My sisters dd class has 1 mom. She asked her child to give all her classmate a piece of note asking for their parent no. Quite a no. of parent wrote down their no. and passed it back to that child. :) My sis is 1 of them. :p

Provided you are hardworking enough to collate the no. and form the group :)

JJ1111
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:11 pm

How did she cope in K2? Did her teachers there give you any feedback about weaknesses or difficulties? Can she read hypy and English? You may want to teach her to read both instead of concentrating on spelling. She will cope better with spelling when she can read and make sense of the words rather than just rote memorisation.

For copying issues, do you think she has any vision or coordination problems? Or is she a slow writer? You can teach her what are the key things to write down (page no., question nos) rather than copy down whole sentences. You will be able to guess better that way.

You can ask her FT if there is a parents' support group for her class, or whether you can start one (if you are willing).

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby spicyblackpepper » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:48 pm

Dear trex72, my heart goes with you. I formed a watsapp group for my kid's form class parents. The school is nice enough to invite all parents to sit in same class to exchange contact nos. I took a picture of the parents' name/tel no. list. My kid is a loner, doesn't want to ask for classmates phone nos :( During K2, in newly changed school, teacher was so worried, told me that my kid couldn't remember how to spell own name 0 - 0 . And you know what, my kid is now in year 1 of IP secondary school. Very normal kid, except needs help in social area. I am sure your kid will be ok too.

spicyblackpepper
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby dimsum » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:54 pm

I feel that you should contact the form teacher and chinese teacher asap to highlight the learning difficulties your girl is facing now.
When my boy was in P1 last year, he was a buddy to a dyslexic boy for one semester. FT assigned him to write down all the homework details in the boy's diary.
Chin teacher also assigned little teachers to guide the weaker ones as they normally finished the classwork early.
Did she learn hypy in K2?

dimsum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary 1