How to help p1 DS?

Academic support for Primary 1

How to help p1 DS?

Postby Kiaseemum » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:27 am

I am getting worried about my DS.

Is it normal for boys to suddenly not want to learn spelling, do homework?

He told me he wants to be like a classmates, who is good in math, so I
Told him then we'll focus more on practising math and try doing 1-2 pages from his assessment books, and it has been very hard getting him to do this.

From young he prefers engaging activities like speech and drama, music, art , etc. he's just not a work sheet person but sadly he needs to acquire that discipline of sitting and learning- something he cannot comprehend yet.

Any tips on what to do for a child like this?

He is also extremely sensitive.

Kiaseemum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:37 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: How to help p1 DS?

Postby evergreen_condo » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:56 am

Few kids are like that. My son is also an example.
What I do, I allow him to play, watch TV ( Disney Junior, Cartoon network etc.,) but I instruct him to do at least 2 pages of homework. Failing with 'cable TV will be cut' and 'going to park' will be stopped.

He does it. fearing that dad might cut the tv connection.

One thing for sure, punishment will never work. Make them understand. By doing so, they will be more productive.


Some parents are over ambitious. They instruct their children of P1 to study at least 3 to 4 hours, at a stretch, which is bad.

evergreen_condo
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:01 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: How to help p1 DS?

Postby magicpiglet » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:59 pm

Tell him in order to be gd in maths he has to be gd in eng too if not he will not be able to understand certain maths questions, allow him to listen to music while doing hw or practise, just make sure e music is not too distractive or loud, can play games while doing eng too like scramble for eng spelling , if he's learning a new word eg ostrich allow him to watch video on ostrich etc, if he can't sit still it's better to accompany him by sitting beside him, allow breaks for him . Maybe 15 mins of practise with 5 mins break den 20 mins wrk with 5 min break n slowly extend the duration . U may reward with stickers for each session he manage to sit still n perhaps every 5 stickers he gets to do his fav activity or games

magicpiglet
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:40 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: How to help p1 DS?

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:28 pm

How long do you expect him to sit down and work? If it's more than 10-20 mins, then you may want to cut back and give him frequent breaks, and gradually build up. You can try letting him learn spelling by chanting out loud, walking up and down while saying it out loud, or 'writing' with his finger on a slightly rough surface (mat, cloth etc). THis works for anything requiring memorising.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 8071
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:16 pm
Total Likes: 173


Re: How to help p1 DS?

Postby sleepy » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:31 pm

If p1, i would expect an hour in a stretch. Because exam is around that time frame too.

Oh, some schools no exam in p1
In that case, buy abit more time to build concentration up to 1 hour

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 9068
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 pm
Total Likes: 34



Re: How to help p1 DS?

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:39 pm

sleepy wrote:If p1, i would expect an hour in a stretch. Because exam is around that time frame too.

You have high expectations! I have a daughter with attention issues and I started with 5 mins with her. By the end of P1, I think she could do 15 mins without a break, but she could do a couple of 15min blocks with a break between. I'm not sure she could do 1 hr until P3! My younger one was better, but she didn't have enough homework in P1 to require more than 30mins work at a stretch.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 8071
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:16 pm
Total Likes: 173


Re: How to help p1 DS?

Postby Kiaseemum » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:48 pm

slmkhoo wrote:How long do you expect him to sit down and work? If it's more than 10-20 mins, then you may want to cut back and give him frequent breaks, and gradually build up. You can try letting him learn spelling by chanting out loud, walking up and down while saying it out loud, or 'writing' with his finger on a slightly rough surface (mat, cloth etc). THis works for anything requiring memorising.


Thanks everyone. :kiss: He's currently in cma abacus and can sit for 1.5 hours doing the work with one toilet break, Max two.

I only expect 10-15 min of sitting slowly doing math assessment ..
It was a lot easier getting him
To do it before. Only lately it's getting tough.

His English is fine so far. For spelling, he will form sentences for each word to remember the words and understand the meaning.

Someone told me, I have to start young( now) if not, it will be too hard once he gets older. To get him to sit n do the worksheets now, requires a lot of persuading and reasoning and i can lose my patience but really try not to. Just wondering if anyone else faces this.

Kiaseemum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:37 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: How to help p1 DS?

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:53 pm

Kiaseemum wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:How long do you expect him to sit down and work? If it's more than 10-20 mins, then you may want to cut back and give him frequent breaks, and gradually build up. You can try letting him learn spelling by chanting out loud, walking up and down while saying it out loud, or 'writing' with his finger on a slightly rough surface (mat, cloth etc). THis works for anything requiring memorising.


Thanks everyone. :kiss: He's currently in cma abacus and can sit for 1.5 hours doing the work with one toilet break, Max two.

I only expect 10-15 min of sitting slowly doing math assessment ..
It was a lot easier getting him
To do it before. Only lately it's getting tough.

His English is fine so far. For spelling, he will form sentences for each word to remember the words and understand the meaning.

Someone told me, I have to start young( now) if not, it will be too hard once he gets older. To get him to sit n do the worksheets now, requires a lot of persuading and reasoning and i can lose my patience but really try not to. Just wondering if anyone else faces this.

Like everyone else, kids need motivation to do things. He's probably bored or tired. Try a rewards system.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 8071
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:16 pm
Total Likes: 173


Re: How to help p1 DS?

Postby Kiaseemum » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:04 am

slmkhoo wrote:
Kiaseemum wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:How long do you expect him to sit down and work? If it's more than 10-20 mins, then you may want to cut back and give him frequent breaks, and gradually build up. You can try letting him learn spelling by chanting out loud, walking up and down while saying it out loud, or 'writing' with his finger on a slightly rough surface (mat, cloth etc). THis works for anything requiring memorising.


Thanks everyone. :kiss: He's currently in cma abacus and can sit for 1.5 hours doing the work with one toilet break, Max two.

I only expect 10-15 min of sitting slowly doing math assessment ..
It was a lot easier getting him
To do it before. Only lately it's getting tough.

His English is fine so far. For spelling, he will form sentences for each word to remember the words and understand the meaning.

Someone told me, I have to start young( now) if not, it will be too hard once he gets older. To get him to sit n do the worksheets now, requires a lot of persuading and reasoning and i can lose my patience but really try not to. Just wondering if anyone else faces this.

Like everyone else, kids need motivation to do things. He's probably bored or tired. Try a rewards system.


Thanks simkhoo.
Tried that but will continue. I think you're right..
I suspect he must be de motivated somehow.

Kiaseemum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:37 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: How to help p1 DS?

Postby sleepy » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:43 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
sleepy wrote:If p1, i would expect an hour in a stretch. Because exam is around that time frame too.

You have high expectations!


There's exam in p1 le. No choice, better get used to sitting through an entire hour.
I heard some schools no exam in p1 then for those schools can idle a little till p2 or p3

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 9068
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 pm
Total Likes: 34


Next

Return to Primary 1