Chinese Spelling

Academic support for Primary 1

Chinese Spelling

Postby Snow24 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:31 pm

Hi

How do you make primary 1 Chinese Ting Xie interesting(Chinese character and Han Yu Pin Yin) so that the child is willing to learn.

Snow24
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Chinese Spelling

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:31 am

Snow24 wrote:Hi
How do you make primary 1 Chinese Ting Xie interesting(Chinese character and Han Yu Pin Yin) so that the child is willing to learn.

There comes a time when kids have to realise that learning isn't always fun. Tingxie is one of them! I just gave my kids small doses of practice spread out over the days available. It helps if there is something enjoyable to look forward to at the end - a TV show, reading a story, going out to play etc.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:36 am

learning 听写 is not a fun thing when most families speak English.
it's hard to explain to a young kid why there is a need to learn this...learning hanyu pinyin is to enable kids to know how to find characters, whether in a conventional way or via the e-dictionary. some kids get confused when they start learning hanyu pinyin which is in 'English'.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cathylmg » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:52 am

I ask my kids to write down all the words in hypy. This way they can self learn and self tingxie first b4 i test them. They learn a few new ones everyday and add in those learned previously.

cathylmg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Thetrees123 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:29 am

平板电脑里有许多和写字有关的apps,有些枯燥,有些蛮有趣的,有些甚至能够打分,娱乐性十足,非常适合不喜欢汉字的小孩。
我不赞成听写很无趣这样的论调。我认为只要父母细心教导,小孩必能从一笔一画中感受到文字的美。
最怕的是连父母都hate chinese. :slapshead:

Thetrees123
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

1 people like this post

Postby Porky Pig » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:34 am

Thetrees123 wrote:平板电脑里有许多和写字有关的apps,有些枯燥,有些蛮有趣的,有些甚至能够打分,娱乐性十足,非常适合不喜欢汉字的小孩。

Can you share more on those apps please?

Porky Pig
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imp75 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:36 am

I have a related question, how do parents help kids look up meaning in the dictionary when parents don't even know the HYPY of the word? Is there any other way to finding out meanings of words or phrase without depending on HYPY. The "bi hua" (ie stroke way) seems a bit tedious as I don't even understand how to use the dictionary using the "bi hua" way. What about E-dictionary? Is there an easier way?

Imp75
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Thetrees123 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:56 am

Porky Pig wrote:
Thetrees123 wrote:平板电脑里有许多和写字有关的apps,有些枯燥,有些蛮有趣的,有些甚至能够打分,娱乐性十足,非常适合不喜欢汉字的小孩。

Can you share more on those apps please?

只要打上“写字”,便能找到各式各样和写汉字有关的apps。在众多apps当中,必有一款适合小孩。
我不想公开我用什么app教学,以避开帮商家打广告之嫌。

Thetrees123
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:07 am

Imp75 wrote:I have a related question, how do parents help kids look up meaning in the dictionary when parents don't even know the HYPY of the word? Is there any other way to finding out meanings of words or phrase without depending on HYPY. The "bi hua" (ie stroke way) seems a bit tedious as I don't even understand how to use the dictionary using the "bi hua" way. What about E-dictionary? Is there an easier way?

If you can't count the strokes accurately, can you at least write out the character using a character recognition app/S-pen or the like? Then "baidu" the character(s) for its meaning & HYPY on your browser...

If word is already in digital form, just copy and paste to google for its meaning & HYPY.

If you cannot even write the character out or you write too slowly such that certain sensitive apps (especially Samsung) cannot accurately capture the full character, then download those free online Optical Character Recognition (OCR) apps that scan the text and decode for you.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:33 am

Imp75 wrote:I have a related question, how do parents help kids look up meaning in the dictionary when parents don't even know the HYPY of the word? Is there any other way to finding out meanings of words or phrase without depending on HYPY. The "bi hua" (ie stroke way) seems a bit tedious as I don't even understand how to use the dictionary using the "bi hua" way. What about E-dictionary? Is there an easier way?

Look for an e-dictionary that has handwriting input. I believe there are some available. I bought mine in China several years ago, and it's been an invaluable help. My kids could use it themselves.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary 1