Reading english class for P1

Academic support for Primary 1

Reading english class for P1

Postby tchewee » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:30 am

My child is P1 now, her teacher have reply to me when attend PTC , said that my child is not good in reading English.

So, i would like to send her for reading class, any recommend for jurong area?

Many thanks for help. :smile:

tchewee
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Reading english class for P1

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:42 pm

Can't help you with classes, but just asking - do you read to her at home? A class is only once a week, so to get the max benefit, you should also read to and with her at home. Reading to her is actually more important, in my opinion, as she can listen and enjoy the flow of the language better which will make it easier for her to read herself.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:01 pm

Agree with slmkhoo. If you don't have much time, 5-10 min per day will do - and it helps with bonding also.

Consider using our lovely free NLB - book variety is great; locations like geylang east, jurong, woodlands, toa payoh are fantastic for children books (central library unfortunately is quite sad in that department). Each loan is good for 3 weeks, and you can opt to immediately renew so you have 6 weeks.

Start with picture books and let her progress at her own pace. Comics can even be a start (it's important for her to like books, no matter the type). Let her find the books she enjoy...once her engine get started, it will be smooth sailing.

if you are not sure what to look out for, go amazon and see which are the top 100 titles or top authors. More often than not, the books would be available somewhere.

Reading can be a lifelong habit and love. Hope you and your child find a way into that wonderful world.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:15 pm

Libraries in/near HDB estates generally have more children visit, so their children's collections are bigger. Another tip for choosing popular (may not be good!) books - the more dog-eared, the more popular!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:27 pm

tchewee wrote:My child is P1 now, her teacher have reply to me when attend PTC , said that my child is not good in reading English.

So, i would like to send her for reading class, any recommend for jurong area?

Many thanks for help. :smile:

When you say "reading English", do you mean reading aloud or silently?

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:39 pm

slmkhoo wrote:Libraries in/near HDB estates generally have more children visit, so their children's collections are bigger. Another tip for choosing popular (may not be good!) books - the more dog-eared, the more popular!

actually, the more popular, the harder it is to find on the shelves. :sad:

Oh! primary schools may have decent titles also. DS2 had been happily raiding his school library for Rick Riordan books.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:15 pm

hquek wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:Libraries in/near HDB estates generally have more children visit, so their children's collections are bigger. Another tip for choosing popular (may not be good!) books - the more dog-eared, the more popular!

actually, the more popular, the harder it is to find on the shelves. :sad:

Oh! primary schools may have decent titles also. DS2 had been happily raiding his school library for Rick Riordan books.

On the other hand, not having the most popular books means that kids can browse and try books they might otherwise not have discovered. For books they desperately want to read, we sometimes place a booking and pay the fee - it's still a lot cheaper than buying the book.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tchewee » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:39 am

Thanks all advise, actually myself can't teach her much in English , I am chinese education.
I have read the english story book with her together but worry i will pronounce wrong the words.
I using google to check for the words when needed.

Any advice which application is more useful for searching words?

Thank you.

tchewee
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby hquek » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:56 am

Hi tchewee,

We installed pleco in our phones...although it's more for Chinese, my kids use it to check out English words. Pleco plays out the sound of the word. It's a free app, so nothing to pay.

else, google is good.

I read somewhere before, don't let your fear of mispronouncing affect you reading to her, or together. Am sure when your child sees you trying, she will be inspired to try too!

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby hquek » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:05 pm

One thing I am not certain. Is your child otherwise comfortable in English? My personal take is that it's important for them to know their grammar basics (will come in use in future, esp for synthesis and transformation). I don't feel my kid's school does that so they go to external enrichment class - they. You can consider getting those guide books and learning so you can coach. Else if finances permit, you can look around for schools (esp somewhere near to you).

There are many centres shared in ksp for such lessons. I can't teach my kids - I know how to word a sentence but I can't explain why. That's why I outsource.

For languages, I feel any problems/issues have to be resolved early, don't wait till P5 or P6 then panic. Science, maths I think still can catch up; but English/chinese no good, by then, sorry, it's really quite late to hug Buddha's leg. All the best!

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Primary 1