P1 English Paper (2006) Raffles

Academic support for Primary 1

P1 English Paper (2006) Raffles

Postby optimistforum » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:20 am

Hi

I have just had my DS1 sit the P1 English Paper (2006) Raffles. Within the time he attained 81%. While this is a good mark (in anyone's books), I felt a little disappointed. He is a 6 year old (dob July 2003), and is in Year 2 here in the UK, your equivalent of P1. With the school year to end in July I thought it best for him to try the various P1 (Singaporean) papers.

My question. :?: Is 81% on a Raffles P1 paper, ok, good or very good? :?

My understanding of Singaporean standards would say that it is an "ok" score.

PS, of the 19% incorrect, about 5% were genuine mistakes, and the remaining 14% were sloppy mistakes.....rushing and not concentrating on usually the last question in each section.
optimistforum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: P1 English Paper (2006) Raffles

Postby titank » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:27 am

optimistforum wrote:Hi

I have just had my DS1 sit the P1 English Paper (2006) Raffles. Within the time he attained 81%. While this is a good mark (in anyone's books), I felt a little disappointed. He is a 6 year old (dob July 2003), and is in Year 2 here in the UK, your equivalent of P1. With the school year to end in July I thought it best for him to try the various P1 (Singaporean) papers.

My question. :?: Is 81% on a Raffles P1 paper, ok, good or very good? :?

My understanding of Singaporean standards would say that it is an "ok" score.

PS, of the 19% incorrect, about 5% were genuine mistakes, and the remaining 14% were sloppy mistakes.....rushing and not concentrating on usually the last question in each section.

I gussed all this marks maybe just serve as a benchmark for individual parent as reference. No matter score 100%, 75% 50% most important is the PSLE where that is the marks that determine a child to go which secondary school.

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tamarind » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:09 am

It depends on the parents. To many parents in Singapore, only 100% is good enough :wink: There are parents who employ private tutors for their kids who are already scoring 90+ marks, so that is apparently not good enough for the parent.

Also, it depends on the students in the class. If 20 out of 30 students score over 90, then the teachers will think that the 10 students who score below 90 "need help". They will also advise the parents to employ private tutors.

Personally I think that over 80 is very good, I never get that score when I was in primary or secondary school :wink:

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Joy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:48 am

Hi

I feel that its really depends on the expectation of the parent and the ability of a child.

In an exam, it not only test knowledge, it tests alertness too.Many a time, kids know the answer, but they make careless mistakes and thus lost many unnecessary marks.

I always tell my friend, seems that in the examination, it is testing how careful a child is.

Joy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:10 am

Don't forget the children here are taught the syllabus before doing this exam. So the average score may be higher so i don't think it is a good comparison. These papers should be use more like a practice for him to understand the curriculum

Postby optimistforum » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:21 pm

Thank you all

I write this on a momentus day; as I write this our Prime Minsiter is at Buckingham Palace to ask the Queen to dissolve Parliament as a precursor to a General Election on 6 May. 8) The Labour government has been bad for education, hence why I have sought succour from Singaporean education. We also know that many children leave school, here, with poor literacy and numeracy skills giving rise to Universities and Employers having to provide essential remedial lessons to bring them up-to-speed. :oops:

Anyway, away from the political rant, DS1 is acutely aware the Raffles paper was markedly different from what he does at school. We will use it as a diagnostic to identify weaknesses. I will post copies of their KS1 paper soon, FYI.

PS, does anyone have any feedback on the EPH publication "Challenging Comprehension", and the SAP publication "Conquer Vocabulary"? I may wish to purchase them.

Ciao! I am lazing this week, as I have taken a week's holiday to spend Easter with my family.
optimistforum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Primary 1