English - Creative writing

Academic support for Primary 2

Re: English - Creative writing

Postby micollh » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:36 am

DD reads a lot since young and likes to read but reading does not seem to help her compo .. just wonder why.. any insight?

micollh
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:43 am

micollh wrote:DD reads a lot since young and likes to read but reading does not seem to help her compo .. just wonder why.. any insight?

This is my theory...I can't and don't teach my kids how to write.

Reading a lot will broaden her vocab and strengthen her grammar, but compo writing requires also knowhow to scaffold the story. In that limited time and space, your DD will have to put in words to start, make interesting and then end the story. Unlike a storybook which can take years to concept and build, she only has like less than an hour.

If you like, get her some compo books so she has an idea what is required; else find a school/teacher to teach her how to go about writing that compo. I sent my kids from young so they have been trained to start off a story like this and then how to move on. When kids are unsure, I feel it helps to have some guiding hands. Of course, once they are comfy, they can always move on to start a story however they like. Some kids take it to immediately and may not need the guidance, mine did and I think those teaching did help them.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

1 people like this post

Postby micollh » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:43 am

thanks hquek ! that's why i send her to class now in P2. never thought english, her first language also need to go class so early.
and i realised that many of her classmates started english class as young as 4 (nursery).. no wonder they write so well..
going into primary is not to learn how to do things e.g write but to be able to do things e.g write. sigh. something is still wrong with the education here.. i feel DD can do it just that she is not given the time to learn but expected to know already..

micollh
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mceducation1 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:33 am

Great writers usually start off as avid readers. The key to helping children who read a lot become better writers is to help them see the connection between reading and writing. Here are some ways we can do this.
Break the book for your child. Help them read like a writer sometimes. Even if it is just a simple fairy tale, we can discuss details such as plot, theme, setting, the various characters - both positive and negative, what motivates the characters, the problems faced by the characters and how the problems are resolved. This will familiarise children to basic fiction writing.

Help children pay attention to what authors do with words. Ask them how they feel when they read certain descriptions. Help children record words and phrases that they like and can use in their own writing.

Do a genre study of sorts. Read many good books of a particular genre that your child is interested in and use the books as examples of how to write in that genre. This will come in especially useful in future when your child goes to upper primary where the writing is not limited to narrative writing anymore.

Chitra Chua
English Language Educator

mceducation1
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sunnyjenny » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:46 pm

Just curious how parents/tutor/educators teach creative writing to their students. When it comes to planning the composition outline, I will asked my child (P2 this year) to write in complete sentence his planning process.

For example, introduction paragraph always must have character's name, venue and time. If picture shows a classroom setting, the sentence could be:
Penny is waiting for her English teacher, Mrs Lim, in her classroom. A group of students were busy chatting one of the girl's new mobile phone. Another group of students are reading quietly at their desk.

Since I thought my child to write out complete sentence for all the 4 pictures provided, I am wondering whether any 'planning paper' were provided during the actual exam/test. It seems like this was not the case. If so, does the students need to plan the whole story writing in their head?

sunnyjenny
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby GTGT » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:49 pm

sunnyjenny wrote:Just curious how parents/tutor/educators teach creative writing to their students. When it comes to planning the composition outline, I will asked my child (P2 this year) to write in complete sentence his planning process.

For example, introduction paragraph always must have character's name, venue and time. If picture shows a classroom setting, the sentence could be:
Penny is waiting for her English teacher, Mrs Lim, in her classroom. A group of students were busy chatting one of the girl's new mobile phone. Another group of students are reading quietly at their desk.

Since I thought my child to write out complete sentence for all the 4 pictures provided, I am wondering whether any 'planning paper' were provided during the actual exam/test. It seems like this was not the case. If so, does the students need to plan the whole story writing in their head?

I use mindmap for my boy.

From the mind-map, then develop into sentences

You can read more here:

http://mytutorismum.blogspot.sg/2015/10/read-lot-but-no-improvement-in.html

GTGT
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Joy of Learning 111 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:20 pm

sunnyjenny wrote:Just curious how parents/tutor/educators teach creative writing to their students. When it comes to planning the composition outline, I will asked my child (P2 this year) to write in complete sentence his planning process.

Probably not complete sentences. Actually, given that there are four pictures provided, most of the planning is done already, namely what happened and sequencing for a coherent account. Often, there will be a box with helper words too. Therefore, it is not necessary to do extensive planning. I usually ask students to write a few nouns and verbs beside the boxes.

The big trick is to try to get students to have a gist in their minds of where they want the story to go. It is useful therefore to think of the conclusion first and write the composition with the conclusion in mind.

Joy of Learning 111
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby taviship » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:25 pm

The Write Corner wrote:
mwchua wrote:Hi all,

Scratching my brain on what is the best way to teach my P2 girl English creative writing. Had got my girl some model English composition books and also tried to guide her on composition writing. But her writing style still proved very weak.

Any sharing of how you coach your kids on creative writing? If need to out-source, may I check which are the good learning centres for creative writing?

Thanks.

Rgds,
Ming

Hi Mummy,

I have been teaching Narrative Writing for a few years and here are a couple of suggestions for you! :smile:

- Reading with him & encouraging him to read widely

- Learning Simple Writing Skills such as Show-not-Tell, using your 5 senses, Ways to say "Said", "Run", "Walk" and ways to start a composition
(You can do a quick search online to find, there are many resources available)

- Keep encouraging and putting positive remarks on his writing :)

Here's an example -

Feel free to drop me your kid's composition and I'll be happy to return with a detailed feedback and tips for you. (Again, no charge, no obligations or strings attached, I am just happy to help! I enjoy what I do and I will not pester you after that. Haha. Drop me an email or text!)

All the best to you!!! :please: :grphug:

:smile: :rahrah: :boogie:

Nicolette
The Write Corner
-
You can find my email & contact details here -http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/content/write-corner

Thank you

taviship
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Little Ink Pot » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:28 am

Hi parents!
You can check out Little Ink Pot, which is a creative writing centre at Commonwealth. It is offering a series of workshops from July to Sept and small group classes throughout the year. http://www.littleinkpot.com/

Little Ink Pot
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Little Ink Pot » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:26 pm

Hi, I'm Miss Yan and I teach English and creative writing classes at Little Ink Pot.

For years, the school has built a strong reputation among parents for:

Small group classes with quality guidance
Close partnership with the teacher
Interesting, hands-on lessons
Focus on creative writing

Any child can write creatively with the right guidance. With an established record of producing A & A* students, you can't go wrong with Little Ink Pot's programs in Creative Writing & English (Primary & Secondary levels)

Students enjoy activities which facilitate an interest in writing. This is especially useful for children who need a boost in their confidence. Get the right help for your child at Little Ink Pot. Start the journey with us today!

CHECK OUT http://www.littleinkpot.com
http://www.littleinkpot.com/aug-2017-mailer.html
http://www.littleinkpot.com/oct-2017-mailer.html

Like us on FACEBOOK! http://www.facebook.com/TheLittleInkPot

Contact 97609946 to find out more.

Little Ink Pot
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Previous

Return to Primary 2