Q&A - P2 English

Academic support for Primary 2

Q&A - P2 English

Postby Sarah » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:48 pm

Moderator's Note: Please use this thread to ask for help on specific questions. Please refrain from out of topic chatter in this thread to make it easier for the community to find the answers they need.

[Original Title: P2 English]

Can anyone help with this:

Rearrange the following words into a sentence.

"he missed because he late was the bus"

Answer 1 : He missed the bus because he was late.
Answer 2 : He was late because he missed the bus.

Which answer is correct and why?
Thank you.[/i]

Sarah
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:28 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby catgoh03 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:02 pm

both are right!

catgoh03
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:02 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:24 pm

catgoh03 wrote:both are right!


I would agree too, unless there is some context which we do not know about.

How about this - which of the following is correct?

"Ryan and I went to the mall." vs
"Ryan and me went to the mall."

and

"Mummy brought Ryan and I to the mall." vs
"Mummy brought Ryan and me to the mall."

Have fun :)

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15221
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 319


Postby jedamum » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:45 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
How about this - which of the following is correct?

"Ryan and I went to the mall." vs
"Ryan and me went to the mall."

:?:
Is Ryan and me went to the mall correct?
Cos when separated into 2 sentences, it seems to be Ryan went to the mall and me went to the mall.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 8517
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:58 pm
Total Likes: 20


Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:37 pm

The right version should be:
"Ryan and I went to the mall", because when we split it into 2 sentences,
=> Ryan went to the mall
and I went to the mall

Also, "Mummy brought Ryan and me to the mall" is correct, because
=> Mummy brought Ryan to the mall
and Mummy brought me to the mall

There are exception cases, where the sentence can take on very different meanings, such as:
"Mummy loves Ryan more than me."
=> Ryan is Mummy's favorite child

"Mummy loves Ryan more than I."
=> I like Ryan, but not as much as Mummy.

Ain't English wonderful??

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15221
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 319



Postby Sarah » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:23 am

My girl wrote Answer 1 but her teacher marked her wrong. The given answer was Answer 2.
Any comments?

Sarah
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:28 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:08 pm

Sarah wrote:My girl wrote Answer 1 but her teacher marked her wrong. The given answer was Answer 2.
Any comments?


Answer 2 is the more "sensible" answer, but there is nothing wrong with answer 1 in either grammar or semantics. Can go argue with teacher :) .

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15221
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 319


Postby jedamum » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:42 pm

Sarah wrote:My girl wrote Answer 1 but her teacher marked her wrong. The given answer was Answer 2.
Any comments?

Er...maybe because local public buses are seldom on time in reaching their intended bus-stops, so there is no way to cite being late at the bus-stop as a reason to miss the bus? :P
Nay..pardon my nonsense. :P

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 8517
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:58 pm
Total Likes: 20


Postby Jennifer » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:26 pm

jedamum wrote:
Sarah wrote:My girl wrote Answer 1 but her teacher marked her wrong. The given answer was Answer 2.
Any comments?

Er...maybe because local public buses are seldom on time in reaching their intended bus-stops, so there is no way to cite being late at the bus-stop as a reason to miss the bus? :P
Nay..pardon my nonsense. :P


I sort of agree with your argument.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 23241
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:10 pm
Total Likes: 106


Postby Guest » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:09 pm

If there is a 'school' prefix for the bus, then ( a ) would be more correct since school bus comes at a designated time.

However, in the generic sense, ( b ) seems more apt as one usually needs to give a reason for being late.
Guest
 

Next

Return to Primary 2