SINCE vs AS

Academic support for Primary 2

SINCE vs AS

Postby AgonyMum » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:04 am

What is the correct answer?

1.Mary's teacher was angry with her _______ she did not complete her work. (as, since)

2.We shall go by this route __________ it is a shorter route.(as, since)

3.Peter will be late for school __________ he woke up late.(as, since)

To me,it seems that both answers are acceptable but these are MCQs so there is supposed to be only one answer for each and every one of the questions above.

Could anyone tell me the correct answers and highlight the differences to me?Thanks!

AgonyMum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: SINCE vs AS

Postby alng » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:26 am

Though since and as are acceptable to mean because in these sentences, the teacher may want to teach since as associated to time frame so the intended answer here could be as.

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby AgonyMum » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:01 am

Hi alng,thanks for your reply.Coud you elaborate on "since as associated to TIME FRAME"? Could you,perhaps, state a couple of sentences with this in mind so that I can get a better idea? Thanks!

AgonyMum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby alng » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:40 am

Example: He has been doing his homework since 1 pm this afternoon. You can also google since vs as and you will find some sites discussing this topic as well. :-)

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby AgonyMum » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:57 pm

Thank you alng.I will accept both answers personally but I am hard pressed to explain to my kid why only one answer is accepted.Seems so rigid...better questions should be set by examiners.

AgonyMum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Primary 2