How to motivate P2 child to write! (English compo)

Academic support for Primary 2

How to motivate P2 child to write! (English compo)

Postby Nahiz » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:10 pm

Hi everyone,
Just want to start this topic as my child (p2 next year) is bit reluctant to write.My ds when asked to write,will try his best to write as short sentence as he could plus not happy at all when mommy asks him to write.Going to p2 next year,just curious that any experienced mommies could help?
How can I develop his interest in writing and make him write at least 80 words story based on 4 pics with a nice flow ,start and ending?

Hope to get some suggestions from you all :hugs:

Nahiz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: How to motivate P2 child to write! (English compo)

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:12 am

Nahiz wrote:Hi everyone,
Just want to start this topic as my child (p2 next year) is bit reluctant to write.My ds when asked to write,will try his best to write as short sentence as he could plus not happy at all when mommy asks him to write.Going to p2 next year,just curious that any experienced mommies could help?
How can I develop his interest in writing and make him write at least 80 words story based on 4 pics with a nice flow ,start and ending?

Personally, I find that writing to school requirements is really boring and too restrictive. My kids always hated it even though they were OK, even keen, when writing for other reasons. If your child is not a keen writer, start with more interesting writing to start with so he learns to put words down easily and maybe even get interested in writing, and the school compos will seem less difficult after that. You can get him to keep a journal (not necessarily daily, but just when something more interesting has happened), use varied writing prompts to stimulate him to write (google for ideas and lists of prompts), invent his own stories, write 'instruction manuals' if he has some particular interest such as constructing models etc. The holidays are a good time to start, and don't try to get him to write school-type compos until school begins. Also, don't be critical about spelling, grammar, style etc to start with - you can point out mistakes and suggest better phrasing and vocab, but don't make him do corrections!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby happyheart » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:31 am

I bought nice thick notebook for both DS, they are allowed to scribble any thoughts, ideas and stories that come to them. I do not grade but I can see they enjoyed quiet moment as they write away on their bed :smile:

DS1 is a good writer, as told by many teachers and one of the publisher he met on an occasion.Btw, his compo at P4 was rated as bad in school :yikes:

DS2 is an average writer when it comes to school compo writing. He still more exposure and practice. However,they are both avid readers, I have faith that reading will benefit DS2 in time to come.

happyheart
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Beem2 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:56 am

I will get my child to write short phrases n explain to them Why it is important. Make reading a habit for them by linking it to beautiful pictures, perhaps it works better. Otherwise, you use show n tell technique.

Beem2
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Nahiz » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:12 pm

Thanks a million slmkhoo,happyheart and Beem2, trying my best to make writing fun and interesting for him not just a forced study,your suggestions will surely help:)
Some other parents please welcome to suggest any other ideas for how to develop interest of writing in 7-8 years old?

Nahiz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Bernard_T » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:02 am

Start with short sentences or even pictures and encourage him to write more lengthy sentences thereafter.

With that in mind, reading widely may also enable him to have interest in more things and encourage him to share with you by saying and writing it down.

Bernard_T
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby mceducation1 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:25 pm

Hi Nahiz,

We do agree with the rest too in getting him started with writing short sentences. Pictures and illustrations also play an important role in developing interests in young children. They help children visualise and understand how and what they can write about.

For starters, how about collecting pictures that are of interest to your child? It could be pictures from magazines, newspapers, or even printed from the internet.

1. Get your child to talk about the picture
2. Write down a few sentences about the picture

Subsequently, you can give your child a topic, he could either find his own pictures or even illustrate them (children like to draw, I'm sure they will be more than glad to draw... This could make him look forward to writing too).

These writing exercises can be compiled into a book. Children will feel encouraged when they see their works appreciated.

Here are 2 strategies in helping your child get started in writing:

Extracted from The Write Way

Hope this helps :)

mceducation1
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Wesim » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:50 pm

Hi,
I "gave up" teaching compo writing to my dd. So, I outsource to "The Writer's Place" and they are doing an excellent job guiding her. I just have to reinforce the vocabulary and sentence construction every week.

Wesim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Nahiz » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:24 pm

mceducation1 wrote:

Hi Nahiz,

We do agree with the rest too in getting him started with writing short sentences. Pictures and illustrations also play an important role in developing interests in young children. They help children visualise and understand how and what they can write about.

For starters, how about collecting pictures that are of interest to your child? It could be pictures from magazines, newspapers, or even printed from the internet.

1. Get your child to talk about the picture
2. Write down a few sentences about the picture

Subsequently, you can give your child a topic, he could either find his own pictures or even illustrate them (children like to draw, I'm sure they will be more than glad to draw... This could make him look forward to writing too).

These writing exercises can be compiled into a book. Children will feel encouraged when they see their works appreciated.

Here are 2 strategies in helping your child get started in writing:

Extracted from The Write Way

Hope this helps :)

Aww thanks a lot for the help;)

Nahiz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Primary 2