Q&A - P3 Math

Academic support for Primary 3
Locked
Steadyberry
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 587
Joined: Sun Mar 27,
Total Likes:1

Re: Q&A - P3 Math

Post by Steadyberry » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:28 pm

Hi mother777

Thx for yr explanation. I get it now.

GreenQ
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Feb 14,

Re: Q&A - P3 Math

Post by GreenQ » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:44 pm

Sorry dear parents, need solution for the question below.

Draw diagrams / Guess and Check.

There are 8 goats and ducks altogether.
Some had 2 legs and some had 4 legs.
The animals have 20 legs in all.
How many goats are there?

Thanks.

P/s: The sch teacher said to get as less as possible for the number of goats.

catddy2002
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Jan 20,
Total Likes:2

Re: Q&A - P3 Math

Post by catddy2002 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:05 pm

GreenQ wrote:Sorry dear parents, need solution for the question below.

Draw diagrams / Guess and Check.

There are 8 goats and ducks altogether.
Some had 2 legs and some had 4 legs.
The animals have 20 legs in all.
How many goats are there?

Thanks.

P/s: The sch teacher said to get as less as possible for the number of goats.

Hi,

This is my format.
Not sure whether your child need to follow his/her teacher's format.

catddy2002
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Jan 20,
Total Likes:2

Re: Q&A - P3 Math

Post by catddy2002 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:06 pm

Sorry, missed out the picture!
Here you are.

Image

GreenQ
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Feb 14,

Re: Q&A - P3 Math

Post by GreenQ » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:10 pm

Great! Thanks for your prompt reply... :love: :thankyou:


Maths Olympiad Tutor
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Feb 23,

Re: Q&A - P3 Math

Post by Maths Olympiad Tutor » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:38 pm

quekcc wrote:
GreenQ wrote:Sorry dear parents, need solution for the question below.

Draw diagrams / Guess and Check.

There are 8 goats and ducks altogether.
Some had 2 legs and some had 4 legs.
The animals have 20 legs in all.
How many goats are there?

Thanks.

P/s: The sch teacher said to get as less as possible for the number of goats.
Draw diagram.
Image

When we assume there are 8 goats, there will be 32 legs, 12 more than what is mentioned.

A goat has 2 more legs than a duck.

Since there are 12 extra legs, there must be 12 / 2 = 6 ducks.

8 - 6 = 2 goats.

:smile:

mother777
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 788
Joined: Thu Jan 13,
Total Likes:3

Re: Q&A - P3 Math

Post by mother777 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:52 pm

Ok here goes my method..

There are 8 goats and ducks altogether.
Some had 2 legs and some had 4 legs.
The animals have 20 legs in all.
How many goats are there?

Answer..
Assume all are ducks..
each duck-->2 legs
If 8 ducks, total legs-->8 x 2 = 16
balance legs-->20-16 = 4
these extra legs are from goats.
each goat 2 extra leg.
so number of goat-->4/2 = 2

Goat-->2
duck-->8-2 = 6..

GreenQ
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Feb 14,

Re: Q&A - P3 Math

Post by GreenQ » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:26 pm

Thanks and appreciate all for yours replies! :thankyou:

GreenQ
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Feb 14,

Re: Q&A - P3 Math

Post by GreenQ » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:29 pm

mother777 wrote:Ok here goes my method..

There are 8 goats and ducks altogether.
Some had 2 legs and some had 4 legs.
The animals have 20 legs in all.
How many goats are there?

Answer..
Assume all are ducks..
each duck-->2 legs
If 8 ducks, total legs-->8 x 2 = 16
balance legs-->20-16 = 4
these extra legs are from goats.
each goat 2 extra leg.
so number of goat-->4/2 = 2

Goat-->2
duck-->8-2 = 6..
Thanks mother777. My child's teacher used exactly the same method as yours!

mother777
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 788
Joined: Thu Jan 13,
Total Likes:3

Re: Q&A - P3 Math

Post by mother777 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:23 pm

well that is good to know :)
the best thing about this method is that guessing is eliminated.

so once you get answer and your working is correct..then you can be sure that your answer is correct only..

Locked