P3 Maths need help!

Academic support for Primary 3

P3 Maths need help!

Postby angelz88 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:27 pm

My gal did not do well for her P2 Maths this year. She has been in Just Education and I believe it is not helping her. Should I go for 1-1? Any good 1-1 to help her?

angelz88
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: P3 Maths need help!

Postby Kayelinht » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:26 pm

angelz88 wrote:My gal did not do well for her P2 Maths this year. She has been in Just Education and I believe it is not helping her. Should I go for 1-1? Any good 1-1 to help her?

I think for 1-1, it must be a really good tutor. 1-1 tutors who are good are hard to come by. Why don't you try some of the established centres? I know Kip Mcgarth is good for weak students, Enopi is not too bad too..I try to help my children at home, they go for maths olympiad training but for basic maths, I try to help. If your child is weak, should bring her for diagnostic tests at these centres. They might help.

Kayelinht
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby angelz88 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:44 pm

Kayelinht wrote:
angelz88 wrote:My gal did not do well for her P2 Maths this year. She has been in Just Education and I believe it is not helping her. Should I go for 1-1? Any good 1-1 to help her?

I think for 1-1, it must be a really good tutor. 1-1 tutors who are good are hard to come by. Why don't you try some of the established centres? I know Kip Mcgarth is good for weak students, Enopi is not too bad too..I try to help my children at home, they go for maths olympiad training but for basic maths, I try to help. If your child is weak, should bring her for diagnostic tests at these centres. They might help.

My gal has been with Just Education for 2 years and seems like it is not helping her. That's why I am thinking of going for 1-1, and she is willing to try.

Enopi is not convenient for me. Is Kip good?

angelz88
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jedamum » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:13 pm

angelz88 wrote:My gal has been with Just Education for 2 years and seems like it is not helping her.

First, get the Just Education teachers to feedback on her weakness.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby vkoh » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:09 pm

You can try to ask her to practise her P2 mathematics again to strengthen her P2 math foundation. Then from there , look for another tuition to reinforce on her P3 Mathematics. IMO, practise will makes perfect to pass her math. If you want to score, should do more thinking questions. Hope it helps :)

vkoh
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby 24hr-mum » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:47 am

you can compile a list of the type of questions that the child always do wrongly, and repeat until she gets it.

got to find out is it basic maths problem or is it just problem sums or just carelessness.
1-to-1 is not cheap. be prepared for $200 a mth.

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby angelz88 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:00 am

24hr-mum wrote:you can compile a list of the type of questions that the child always do wrongly, and repeat until she gets it.

got to find out is it basic maths problem or is it just problem sums or just carelessness.
1-to-1 is not cheap. be prepared for $200 a mth.

Yes, will be going through the past year P2 papers with her to get her basics right. Really stressful for me as a working mum. But yet I do not want her to feel the stress, trying to make it fun for her to do the worksheets during the hols.

I guess what I can do is provide a good school, good home environment and assistance to her. The rest is very much up to her whether she make it or not. It can get despairing at times, but the hope that she will do better keeps me going :lol:

angelz88
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby lizawa » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:20 am

Hi angelz88,

Need to know why she is not doing well. Is it due to careless mistakes ? or problems with concepts ? In my opinion, P2 Maths is not difficult. What's your definition of "not do well" ? If she has lost marks due to careless mistakes, it's still ok at this stage. Just need to get her be more careful and teach her how to check her work.

If she has problems with her concepts, you probably can coach her yourself at this stage. Must get her to understand the concepts, rather than just doing and doing worksheets. Once she understands, then, go on to practices.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby angelz88 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:45 am

lizawa wrote:

Hi angelz88,

Need to know why she is not doing well. Is it due to careless mistakes ? or problems with concepts ? In my opinion, P2 Maths is not difficult. What's your definition of "not do well" ? If she has lost marks due to careless mistakes, it's still ok at this stage. Just need to get her be more careful and teach her how to check her work.

If she has problems with her concepts, you probably can coach her yourself at this stage. Must get her to understand the concepts, rather than just doing and doing worksheets. Once she understands, then, go on to practices.

Precisely i understand that P2 Maths should not be tough. She only got 55/100 in her SA 2, which really came as a shock to me when her classmates on the average is 70+. I looked through her paper, she does have several careless mistakes, and some of the problem sums she only answered partial of the answer and thus did not get the full marks...sigh.

angelz88
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby josephine_ng » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:10 am

Did you check wih her for her mistakes? She probably knnow the answers if you give her more time to really put in effort and make her concentrate when she is answering the questions. Did she rush through her work?

josephine_ng
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Primary 3