Q&A - P3 Science

Academic support for Primary 3

Q&A - P3 Science

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri May 02, 2008 10:55 am

Moderator's Note: Please use this thread to ask for help on specific questions. Please refrain from out of topic chatter in this thread to make it easier for the community to find the answers they need.

I tried to do the P3 Science exams from the top schools and... there's no way I can score 100 for it myself! It's REALLY tough considering that the kids just started science this year. Aside from learning names and stuff (thorax, abdomen, etc), the questions were focused more on application of what they learn... so it was really like conducting investigative work. A lot of the questions were really subjective.

Some examples:
1. What are the purpose of feathers on peacocks
(A) They help the peacock fly
(B) They protect the peacock's skin
(C) They are used to attract mates
(D) They keep the peacock warm

Answer:
(1) B, C, D
(2) B, D
(3) A, B, C, D
(4) C

2. A Molly:
(A) Gives birth to its young
(B) Lays eggs
(C) Is a plant
(D) Is an insect

Anyone dare attempt these questions? :wink: Play fair - no googling until you actually tried to answer.
Last edited by ChiefKiasu on Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:46 am, edited 4 times in total.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby lizawa » Fri May 02, 2008 11:44 am

Hi ChiefKiasu,

not as good in Science. But can try:

1. Answer : (2), B,D

2. Molly is a fish ? Answer : (B) Lays eggs

The MCQs are the most tricky. But they constitute a large % in the paper. 60% of the marks from MCQ (30 questions) and 40% from open-ended.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri May 02, 2008 12:57 pm

lizawa wrote:Hi ChiefKiasu,

The MCQs are the most tricky. But they constitute a large % in the paper. 60% of the marks from MCQ (30 questions) and 40% from open-ended.

Hmm... the answer for 1. is (3) A, B, C, D. I didn't know peacocks can fly... but they do in a limited sense, especially the female ones.

I've no idea what a molly is... but according to my son, its a kind of fish. I googled and came up with Molly - a female mule.

So which is which?? Confused :oops:

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby lizawa » Fri May 02, 2008 3:14 pm

oops. not too good. will let my children try these 2 qns. They probably can do better than me, I hope :)

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jedamum » Fri May 02, 2008 9:58 pm

lizawa wrote:Hi ChiefKiasu,

now that ring a bell...i vaguely remember that molly is a fish that gives birth to its young....does it?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jedamum » Fri May 02, 2008 10:04 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:I've no idea what a molly is... but according to my son, its a kind of fish. I googled and came up with Molly - a female mule.

So which is which?? Confused :oops:

now that I have attempted Q2, my googled results can be found as follow for 'molly'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live-bearing_aquarium_fish
now i vaguely recalled witnessing one of my pet fish (dunno if its a guppy or molly) giving birth...the babies just come out of the tummy just as the mummy swims along. :D

no idea that peacocks can fly. :shock:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri May 02, 2008 10:52 pm

Yes... I believe jedamum's got the answer for the Molly... an aquarium fish that gives birth to its young.

As for peacocks flying... here's an account.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby lee hwee Ming » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:54 pm

Hi, as a parent with a boy in P4, I just read that 2 days ago. Yes Molly is a fish which gives birth to its young, similar to swordtail, guppy. Read that in the notes in an assessment book so who can say assessment books are not useful!
The new science exam format is definitely more challenging than my time( which is like 30 years ago). No more - give the definition...what is required for a process...It now involves lots of experimental set ups and the kids are tested on the principles on what they have learnt from inference. Interesting but tough for a young kid therefore I have arrowed my hubby with the job of tutoring my kid in Science :D

lee hwee Ming
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:49 pm

lee hwee Ming wrote:Hi, as a parent with a boy in P4, I just read that 2 days ago. Yes Molly is a fish which gives birth to its young, similar to swordtail, guppy. Read that in the notes in an assessment book so who can say assessment books are not useful!
The new science exam format is definitely more challenging than my time( which is like 30 years ago). No more - give the definition...what is required for a process...It now involves lots of experimental set ups and the kids are tested on the principles on what they have learnt from inference. Interesting but tough for a young kid therefore I have arrowed my hubby with the job of tutoring my kid in Science :D

The Science syllabus is definitely more challenging and interesting at the same time. But some of the questions I have come across depends very heavily on interpretation of pictures and words, and some are downright unfair questions.

And how come daddies are better in science than mummies?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby lee hwee Ming » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:40 pm

Well daddy is arrowed cos mummy is too lazy to have to study the syllabus all over again to be able to tutor. I pick Maths instead, which I still have to make sure I can do the so called challenging sums before I get my kids to do but my... my... some schools do try to be difficult to their kids.... No wonder I read about how some parents get freaked out by the mid term results and start calling the 'boutique' tution centres in panic..

lee hwee Ming
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Primary 3