What's Wrong & How can we Help?

Academic support for Primary 3

What's Wrong & How can we Help?

Postby Tazyspin » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:53 pm

My daughter has always been weak in her Math since Pri 1. However, she has improved a lot since this year...She has just finished her CA2 and her results came back as failed...again.

The concern we have is she always seems not to do well during exam. But when she brings the paper back and she does her own correction, she gets them all correct. We are very puzzled.

We felt it could be lack of confidence during her exam or is there something we are missing out?

Can anyone share with us our concern??

:sad: mum

Tazyspin
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: What's Wrong & How can we Help?

Postby hquek » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:00 pm

Hi, could this be due to exam jitters? I had a friend who was extremely conscientious and hardworking, but her results don't reflect that. there was also once when I blanked out totally at the start of my o level maths prelims. Very scary becos I couldnt remember any formulas. Ended up by closing my eyes and quietening down for 5 min before I got over the scare.

Sorry not much experience in overcoming this.hope your gal can find a way round this.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Tazyspin » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:43 am

Hi hquek,

Thank you for your sharing. Initially, we thought so too. But somehow it only happens for Math subject.

Tazyspin
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby PiggyLalala » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:08 am

I think you may have to sit down and look through the papers with her. Are her mistakes due to carelessness or wrong concept/approach used. Students are usually confused over the use of addition and subtraction; multiplication and division. The question may require addition and the child used subtraction or the child used multiplication instead of division.

Hence when it comes to correction, it is easier for the child. Since addition is wrong, then the correct answer must be subtraction. She may not really understand why subtraction is the correct solution. During the test, the child can have only one solution but she may pick the wrong one because of her poor understanding of the concept or question.

PiggyLalala
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:14 am

Tazyspin wrote:Hi hquek,

Thank you for your sharing. Initially, we thought so too. But somehow it only happens for Math subject.

hi tazyspin,

But she's only P2, so only English, chinese and maths. E & C, it's languages - I don't think one can really mug/study for it. Maths, it's the topic that one has to apply what has been taught before.

Stress is one thing. Piggylala's words also make sense. You will probably have to analyse where the issue is coming from. Have you tried giving her a mock test (with time pressures and all)? See if it's really to do with her not able to grasp the concept. If she can perform brilliantly in that, I would veer more towards the exam stress handling bit.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby c u p c a k e s. » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:03 pm

Tazyspin wrote:My daughter has always been weak in her Math since Pri 1. However, she has improved a lot since this year...She has just finished her CA2 and her results came back as failed...again.

The concern we have is she always seems not to do well during exam. But when she brings the paper back and she does her own correction, she gets them all correct. We are very puzzled.

We felt it could be lack of confidence during her exam or is there something we are missing out?

Can anyone share with us our concern??

:sad: mum

I don't know what to say, but... I think for Maths you can only practice, practice and practice. :smile: Do assessment books and check the answers immediately. That's all!! :hi5:

c u p c a k e s.
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby winnie_pooh » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:57 am

Try to get a qualify tutor for her. Suggent 1-1 coaching.

I think the foundation is very important. If the base is not strong, it will be hard go futher.

For P1 & 2 - most School go thru hotlistic program. And i think some children may not be prepare for SA exam. Especially with thick paper sand solving all the problem sum at one go. Therefore, need to train them from the start.

winnie_pooh
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Primary 3