Houghton Mifflin Anthologies (New Syllabus)?

Academic support for Primary 3

Houghton Mifflin Anthologies (New Syllabus)?

Postby worriesmommy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:31 am

Dear parents!!!!

Anyone heard this before named "Houghton Mifflin Anthologies".
I would like to know which school are using this "New Method", "New Syllabus" new books for our kids in Primary Levels?
Any comments of these new books?

My children school are using this books. And the first year school allowed to paid through "Edusave".
Unfortunately, this year everything have to be "cash" or "cheque" payments. :moneyflies: :moneyflies:
:stupid:

worriesmommy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Houghton Mifflin Anthologies (New Syllabus)?

Postby MMM » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:37 am

Can you pls share which school does your child study in????

My kids' school uses that. If we are all from the same school, though the parent network groups will be a good resource.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby worriesmommy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:52 am

MMM wrote:Can you pls share which school does your child study in????

My kids' school uses that. If we are all from the same school, though the parent network groups will be a good resource.

Hey MMM,
@ Poi Ching School.........

Oh I wonder is it only Poi Ching School using this books? Hopefully is not....
And how do you think about these books?

thanks in advance!

worriesmommy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby MMM » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:03 pm

worriesmommy wrote:
MMM wrote:Can you pls share which school does your child study in????

Hey MMM,
@ Poi Ching School.........

Oh I wonder is it only Poi Ching School using this books? Hopefully is not....
And how do you think about these books?

thanks in advance!

Hi,

Oh... My kids are in Maha Bodhi School and I thought only they are using that. I used to think their phonics was quite "elementary"... and I had issues with my kids having to differentiate between "fact" and "myth" during P2 exams.... A myth may sound like a fact to a child and they might not understand it's not a fact.

In fact for MBS, they use up to P4. I saw the books when my ds brought it home. That sort of change my opinion as compared to just seeing the worksheets... It had very interesting stories, introduction to vocab etc.... but based on my personal impression (I didin't scrutinise it thoroughly), grammar seems to be lacking. I also don't think it focus on compo or compre skills per se..... However if the school supplements with other teaching, I suppose it is still fine.

In the case of MBS, the exams are based on that (so difficult to find past year papers to practise) and frankly... I found it a challenge because the books are rather thick and heavy and the kids only get to bring home nearer to exams. Unlike a text book that we get to see daily, we don't get to see the HM book regularly and I personally found it difficult for revision.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby amylqf » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:00 pm

yes, poi ching is using this.

this year using cash to pay, quite costly.

amylqf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jesschan » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:39 am

My boys' school used to be using Houghton Mifflin books, but I m not sure whether they are same as yours. That was when he was in P1&2 (he is P6 this year). In P3, they switched back to conventional textbooks. The school claimed that it was one of the few schools pioneering it then. I think it is a US version of our local Stellar program. Personally, I didnt like it and I had no idea what they were teaching. I only had to buy 2 workbooks which were kept in school and they children tore out worksheets to do. I had to teach my son grammar when I noted that he was not being taught grammar rules systematically.

jesschan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Primary 3